PDA

View Full Version : Blaster shocks..

Towlieee
04-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Are stock blaster shocks better then stock 300ex shocks?

and can they bolt onto the 300ex?

I ask because my friend is selling his blaster (96 i think) and my other friend has a 300ex.. yet the 300ex's suspension bottoms out like mad on jumps, and the blasters seems to hardley move..

Would it be a good trade to trade him straight up?

04'400ex'er
04-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Both suck

Pappy
04-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Both suck

very intelligent answer:rolleyes:

Towlieee,

If i remeber correctly another member did successfully make this switch and i believe he said it seemed to work fine. I wouldnt recommend it simply because your just trading one problem for another.

Save all you can and try to get a set of used works for your quad. there have been several sets on the site lately for less then $250

bradley300
04-14-2004, 08:04 AM
the person that used the swap did it w/ a 300ex frame on 400ex a-arms, they will prolly be way to long to put on a stock 300ex

Pappy
04-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
the person that used the swap did it w/ a 300ex frame on 400ex a-arms, they will prolly be way to long to put on a stock 300ex

naaaa...it was like 2 years ago when this thread was posted. im almost 100% he used blaster shocks

dirtmomma
04-14-2004, 08:50 AM
WEll our blaster/300 shocks wont fit????????? I'm confused!! The eye's on the blaster are turned a different way aren't they?? maybe I'm wrong, my son isn't here right now to ask he would know but I thought he said they wouldn't :confused: Now I gotta go look!!

bradley300
04-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
naaaa...it was like 2 years ago when this thread was posted. im almost 100% he used blaster shocks

its possible that he did use blaster shocks, but there a good 2 inched longer than 300ex shocks, so yes from what i have heard, they wll bolt up, but they wont work right and here are the reasons

geomtry is way different (valving is oway off)

they are set up for a 320 lb. quad, a 300ex wieghs nearly 380(valving is now even more off)

they are too long, in turn, raising the quad wich will hurt the cornering.

if you are doing the 400ex a-arms conversion (wich i highly do not recomend) blastr shocks are the right length but will need to be revalved

have you tried adjusting the preload on your 300ex yet? probably a dumb question, but i forget stuff like that all the time

Towlieee
04-20-2004, 06:32 AM
have you tried adjusting the preload on your 300ex yet? probably a dumb question, but i forget stuff like that all the time

We haven't adjusted it yet, that is the peice where you turn the spring seperate of the shock right?

I dont really see that helping to much, as its only gonna move the quad about a 1/2" difference..

I was just seeing if they'd bolt up as they'r free shocks and his 300ex bottoms out to much.. oh well

anyone know of what things will bolt up that I should switch? I know were switching the handlebars, but I think thats all..

Will the front rims bolt up? The kid with the blaster bent my friends 300ex rim, so I think were gonna trade them

dirtmomma
04-20-2004, 08:06 AM
NO the blaster rims do NOT fit on the 300, the rear hubs will switch though, there isn't a whole lot off the blaster to go on the 300 unfortunetly ;) If he adjusts his preload that should help some it does for me :)

bradley300
04-20-2004, 08:32 AM
your right, turn the bottom of the shock, you will see the little bump on the shock move up or down on the ridges. just drop the preload to all the way soft, and ride it around. if it bottoms out alot, stiffen it one notch, and ride more, just find the spot where it rarely bottoms, but still gives the smoothest ride possible