PDA

View Full Version : gearing???

fas400ex
04-13-2004, 03:22 PM
OKAY, HERE IT GOES I HAVE MY BIKE SETUP FOR TRAIL RIDING AND HAIR SCRAMBLES. TO START WITH I HAVE A PRO CIRCUIT T-4 FULL SYSTEM, 426 KIT, HOT CAM STAGE 1, 14/38 GEARING, 22 INCH REAR TIRES. WITH THIS SETUP I HAVE TONS OF TORQUE IN FIRST AND SECOND BUT WHEN IM CLIMBING LONG STEEP HILLS I HAVE NO TORQUE IN 3RD IT JUST BOGGS DOWN. IF I HIT IT IN SECOND IT WINDS OUT AND WHEELIES ALL THE WAY UP THE HILL. I CAN CLIBM FINE IN SECOND BUT THERE ARE TIMES IT WOULD BE BETTER TO HIT IT IN 3RD. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD 20 INCH REAR TIRES HELP?????

Aallron
04-13-2004, 05:39 PM
More that likely the problem lies in the gear ratio drop in the transmission from 2nd to 3rd gear, way expensive and I dont know if anyone makes a close ratio set for these bikes... but you can compensate for it...

Your 14/38 gearing gives you apx a 2.714 final drive ratio... freeway gears..., combine that and with 22" tires and like you have already figured out there isnt enough motor to pull that combination in third up a hill.

Best and cheapest thing to do is to see what the other guys are running first and see if it works.

Changing the countershaft sprocket is usually the least expensive way to go but has the greatest impact on final drive ratios...

13/38 = 2.92
12/38 = 3.16

where as changing the rear sprocket has a more subtle effect.

14/38 = 2.714
14/39 = 2.785
14/40 = 2.857

Are any of these sprockets avalible... I dont know.

You could spend alot of time and money playing with different combinations of sprockets and tire sizes to get it "right", but if it is just 1 hill in the entire course(s), only you can figure out if it is worth it or not.

fas400ex
04-13-2004, 08:00 PM
wow, lots of good info..... kind of over loaded my brain, but never the less good info!
so what are some gear ratios that you guys are running? would a 13 front be too low and hard on the motor? i was thinking maybe trying a 13/39 but would that be too much torque in 1st and second? maybe even 13/38. i am running 14/38 now and stock is 15/38. i am happy in 1st and second just weak in 3rd but only climbing hills, the other thing is with 13 i will lose even more topend. huh, whats a guy to do!!!!!!!
thanks
phil