PDA

View Full Version : CT 400 Advance key

RideRed400StYlE
03-13-2002, 09:43 PM
does anyone have one of these? Is it worth the $15. and how hard is it to put in. what gains are there in revving, and power?

VegasEx'r
03-13-2002, 09:57 PM
I have a Sparks advance key that cost $15. I didn't know that CT made one. They are probably the same thing. The Sparks key advances the timing by 6 degrees. When I put it in, I did notice a slight increase in overall power, and the throttle became MUCH more responsive. That's my opinion, but I have read posts from otheres who said that it did nothing for their quad. You have to buy a new engine cover gasket for the left side, and that costs like 15-17 bucks (more than it should). The whole procedure is pretty easy. Remove the left side cover, pull off the flywheel (I found it best to have a friend help, because the flywheel is held on by a bolt at 70 ft-lbs, but it rotates freely, so a second set of hands is pretty much a necessity). The woodruff key will be on the crank, you can pop it off w/ a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the crank). The new key goes on with the colored side facing out if I remember correctly. Then reinstall the flywheel & put the cover back on. The whole thing takes maybe an hour, and isn't that tough. These are pretty basic instructions (again for the Sparks key, which I am assuking is the same as CT), so if you decide to do it & have questions, you can always ask here. IMHO I say it's worth it. One thing I have heard is that the Sparks key is identical to the stock woodruf key for an xr400, and those cost 6-7 bucks at a Honda shop.

RideRed400StYlE
03-13-2002, 10:01 PM
Meant to say sparks.. my bad, o well.. but thanks for the reply, I wasnt sure if I should get one or not.. I jsut didnt want to get into anything time consuming if it gave no results.. ya knnow

VegasEx'r
03-13-2002, 10:08 PM
Some people get nervous thinking about taking off a cover & exposing the flywheel & crank, but if you are mechanically inclined in the least (like if you can do an oil change or change a spark plug), this is something that you can do. There are a lot of bolts to be removed, but it is fairly intuitive as to what to loosen next. If you have a shop manual, it will make it even easier. Again, if you run into trouble, you can post a question here, or you can PM me.

RideRed400StYlE
03-13-2002, 10:10 PM
I have no prob workin on the quad.. its just that if it wasnt going to give anymore power or anything I wouldnt waste my time or money, ya know