PDA

View Full Version : Smoke on starts

dannyboy20
04-12-2004, 07:27 PM
ok every once in a while ill start my quad and get a puff of smoke from the exhaust. It only started doing this recently. Anyone know the cause of this ?

Atreyu
04-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Most likely your rings are going. Does it smoke when you shift gears too?

dannyboy20
04-12-2004, 07:36 PM
only once in a while on startting. Not when i shift

hondarider2006
04-12-2004, 08:41 PM
it could also be your valve seats.

Atreyu
04-12-2004, 08:44 PM
When was your last valve adjustment?

dannyboy20
04-12-2004, 09:01 PM
about 4 mounths ago

400rednEX
04-12-2004, 09:09 PM
probably valve guides and valve seals if it's only on startup.

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 09:10 PM
it's just your exhaust valve seals they do that cause the oil is puddled right there in the head and when it sets it'll run down and can smoke a little on startup but that's all, it's nothing to worry about it's not goin to hurt your performance any and its not worth ripping your head off and replacing them when i replaced mine it didn't take long before it was back doing it again

KY Woods Rider
04-12-2004, 09:14 PM
When you say it smokes on start-up, I assume you mean it does it just as soon as the engine fires. So, then it depends on what color the smoke is.

If it's solid white or black, you're flooding it while you're trying to start it.

If it's white mixed with a blue tint, then you're burning oil. You can also tell if it's oil smoke by how long it stays in the air, as oil smoke tends to linger in the air for a couple seconds. If it is oil that you're burning, but it only does it on start-up and then quits after a few seconds, it's probably just the valve seals. When a valve seal is leaking, you shut the quad off and let it sit a while, a bit of oil leaks past the valve seal and runs down the valve, then it burns that little bit of oil when you start it up. If the valve seals aren't too bad, it will only do it after you let it sit for an hour or more, as it will take that long for a few drops of oil to leak past the seal. As long as you don't mind a little bit of smoke at start-up and it doesn't get a lot worse, I wouldn't fool with pulling the head off just to replace valve seals.