PDA

View Full Version : Pain in the &%#

Quad18star
04-12-2004, 06:45 PM
So i went to the dealer today and asked for jets for my YFZ 450 . Ive never taken the carb apart before so I hadn't a clue what kind of jets were in it . Dealer gave me the jets that he " thought" were correct . So tonight I get home and start taking apart the carb . Note to Yamaha Engineers .... Make the YFZ a little bigger . The little chinese guys might be able to get their hands in there , but I sure as hell cant . Well that carb is a BIZATCH to work on . Too many wires /sensors/things i havent a clue what they are doing on there . My dealer must have used an impact wrench to tighten ever dmn bolt on the machine . So finally I got the clamps undone ... yes thats right I'm only at the clamps after about 25 minutes and a stripped bolt later . Now I try and turn the carb ... oh joy it only goes so far . Took me 10 minutes to realize I had to move the airbox tube to get enough room to move the carb even further . Ok so thats done now . I start turning the carb a little and I heard a "crack" ... I think this " crack" is gunna cost me lotta $$ . I have a feeling my throttle sensor broke :( . Anyways , I loosen the bolt under the carb ... to my surprise it wasn't tight . I'm thinking " Wow its gunna be a breeze from now on" WRONG!!!! Main jet came out fine ... YAY the dealer gave me the wrong style . I got round instead of HEX and Short Instead of Long . Now the fun part , the Pilot jet . Now that was a nightmare , Only took me about 45 minutes and about 6 screw drivers later to get the lil f&*^%r out . YAY dealer gave me the wrong style again . Needless to say , I got a YFZ with the carb taken apart , got a feeling I snapped those little sensors , got the wrong jets ( which cost me $35) . I'm starting to realize I aint a mechanic and that my dealer doesn't know JACK !!!!

AlaskaSpeed
04-12-2004, 07:06 PM
Sounds like either you had the worst luck imaginable working on your YFZ or you aren't comfortable working on machines. I found the YFZ to be about as simple as they come to work on. This is after I have installed the 13:1 piston, kickstarter and numerous jetting changes......Just take your time and it should be a piece of cake....JIM

Quad18star
04-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Doesn't help that I'm doing this without a manual either . Wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't as cramped to work on . But I did have bad luck with bolts that were way too tight and not having the correct jets . Also that "crack" has me a little worried . Woundering if i busted the sensor . I guess I'll know when I try and fire it up . How does a 45 pilot and a 168 main sound for ridding without the airbox lid and I'm at around 800 feet above sea level and run in temperatures anywhere from 10 celcius to 25 celcius?? Average would be around 15 celcius . I hope my luck changes with this carb or else its gunna cost me $75 an hour for the dealer to put it back together and maybe more $$ if I busted that sensor . :(

AlaskaSpeed
04-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Your 45 pilot and 168 main sounds pretty good for jetting at your elevation. You'll have to see how it runs of course. Also, don't forget that you can adjust the needle too. As far as the T.O.R.S. being an issue, it shouldn't be; you can disable it. I don't have my TORS hooked up.
There is a really good info site for new mechanics that want to work on their own stuff. http://www.eskimo.com/~daddog/index.htm is the site and it will help you a ton. JIM

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-12-2004, 07:26 PM
jeeee wowzers, maybe have a buddy come over next time you need to take a wrench to your quad, i'd hate to hear the horror story of when you do a top end rebuild :eek2:

Quad18star
04-12-2004, 08:04 PM
I just checked out the Dogriders site , really good info like you said Jim . He made things a little more simple . Things would have went better if I wouldnt have had to lay on my back while working on trying to get the pilot jet out . I was a little worried about twisting the carb too much and having something break off of it . A little more light would have been a good idea also . Tomorrow I get to go give the dealership some chit for not giving me the right stuff either . I used to do my own work on my LT 250r but these 4strokes are more complicated than anything else ( ive never really worked on one before) . Ah well , I'm willing to learn how this stuff works anyways.

Jim how did you remove your Throttle Override?? I think thats the next thing I'll do when I buy a Kill switch . Thanks for the advice and reassurance on the jet sizes .

CatMostFeared
04-13-2004, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
Your 45 pilot and 168 main sounds pretty good for jetting at your elevation. You'll have to see how it runs of course. Also, don't forget that you can adjust the needle too. As far as the T.O.R.S. being an issue, it shouldn't be; you can disable it. I don't have my TORS hooked up.
JIM

You dont need the TORS I unhooked mine when I went to a twist throttle.

seatec
04-13-2004, 05:55 AM
[i]
Jim how did you remove your Throttle Override?? I think thats the next thing I'll do when I buy a Kill switch . Thanks for the advice and reassurance on the jet sizes . [/B]

The throttle override are two wires (in one bundle) that goes to you throttle. Don't just cut the wire off and short them out. follow the wire coming out of your throttle housing back until you find the connectors for it and un hook it there and then just short the the two connectors together. bundle the remaining wire going to your throttle housing and leave it sit there or replace the throttle assy for another or a twist throttle. This way you can always go back to stock.

BTW, once you have the pilot in and oh yeah, do yourself a favor while you have the Carb rotate, buy yourself a Zip-ty Air-fuel mixture screw from C&D on this board and put it in. This way you wont have to rotate the Carb again since you can change the Main jet from the standard carb position. I have very large hands and do it all the time.
PM me if you need any more info.

Quad18star
04-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Well i finally got the right jets .... not from my Yammy dealer but the local Honda dealer . After taking my time , having the correct tools and having the right parts , everything went back together very easily , took the air box lid off and fired it up . I like the new throttle response . Checked the plug and its a bit black , so its a bit rich , but then again I'm running a 45 pilot with a 170 main . The dealer didn't have a 168 main but he's bringing one in for me . Now I'm gunna go and take the baffle out and see what kind of difference this makes . I am for sure gunna look into getting a Zip Ty for the quad , it will make things way easier . How much do they run approx?? Thanks for everyones help .

Quad18star
04-13-2004, 04:14 PM
The Baffle is now out .... and I like it . :D I can't wait to actually go and try it out now . Sucks having to wait for tires and rims to come in . I had a bit of problems getting the baffle out since it was a little rusted in place , but with a pair of vice grips, a screw driver and a hammer , that lil f&^%$r came out . Neighbours are gunna hate me now . Wait till I get a TC exhaust , I'm gunna be making enemies .

AlaskaSpeed
04-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
The Baffle is now out .... and I like it . :D I can't wait to actually go and try it out now . Sucks having to wait for tires and rims to come in . I had a bit of problems getting the baffle out since it was a little rusted in place , but with a pair of vice grips, a screw driver and a hammer , that lil f&^%$r came out . Neighbours are gunna hate me now . Wait till I get a TC exhaust , I'm gunna be making enemies .

Greg...glad to hear everything turned out well. PM me anytime you have any questions, there isn't much I haven't taken apart or replaced on the YFZ....JIM

Quad18star
04-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the help jim , I appreciate it alot . Just by reading the stuff on these sites , I've learned quite a bit . The carb was actually very easy once I took my time and looked at things and had all the right tools and was patient .

I'm thinking about going red White and Blue on my YFZ (I must really wanna be an American Deep Down Inside) . White plastics , Red frame and Blue Hipers . I think I might get a Blue Graphics kit for it . What do you think of the color combo?? Also how do you like your Hetrick pipe?? By The Way , your YFZ is totally SICK . By far the nicest Ive ever seen . One day I'll have something as nice .

Guy400
04-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I'm thinking about going red White and Blue on my YFZ (I must really wanna be an American Deep Down Inside).Don't all Canadians?

LMAO...j/k:D

Quad18star
04-13-2004, 07:02 PM
LOL ...With the amount of tracks you guys have YES ... With all the rules about noise and not being able to ride the roads ... NO . Yes I can ride the roads up here with my 450 and have no hassle from the cops . :D

For curiosity's sake .... anyone know what the DB levels are on a stock 450 pipe with the baffle removed?? It'll gimme a little bit of a better idea as to how loud a TC exhaust is compared to this one .

YFZ PILOT
04-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Stock pipe baffle removed it blows a 101db. I got checked at the dunes in Oregon. I went with a sparks and it blew a 110db but, I love it.

i