PDA

View Full Version : fmf powercore-4

03-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Any one out there have the powercore-4 on a 400ex and how does it compare to the white Bros e-series. I have two friends with the White bros, one has the slip-on the other has the full exhaust. There is almost no difference in exhaust sound and almost no seat of the pants power difference.
I do not plan on doing any engine build ups and was looking for something with a little less sound then the e-series with similer power gains.
Cops are common around here thats why I need to stay as quiet as possible

TRFOXX
03-13-2002, 09:14 PM
I have the FMF Powercore 4 and I like it a lot. When I first put it on I could tell a huge difference and loved the sound. Though a little loud, I would go with the Powercore 4 Q if I were you. If noise is a factor, you will have the cops called on you with this slip on. I have heard that if you get the FMF powerbong header pipe that it dose quiet it down some. Its not as loud as some of the other pipes (slip ons) but they will hear you! Ive had the cops called on me lots of times but that was during night riding.
Hope this helps.

03-14-2002, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the info.

03-14-2002, 07:32 AM
well there's different types of powercore 4 mufflers...the straight up powercore 4,,,,,,,,,then the powercore IV/2 SA,,which I have,,and the powercore IV/Q SA. I don't think the first set of powercore 4's are made anymore,,they were really loud. Now if your lookin at the powercore IV/2 SA that's out now,,get it with a powerbong header pipe and you'll be smokin your buddies,,also get a K&N filter, jet kit and take your airbox lid off,,,feels like a different quad..Oh and it's not too loud,,but gets louder the more you put the hammer down..

There's one for sale in the classifieds section.

03-14-2002, 08:17 AM
I have one of the original Powercore 4's, not the Q series, on my 99'EX, and my friend just got a White Bros e-series on his 01'EX. Neither of us have K&N's or anything else but we have rejetted. The powercore is definately louder than the e-series, it also has a different tone to it when it is running, I like the sound of the powercore a little more because it sounds more throaty. The power gains from each pipe are a little different, the powercore seems to give a little better throttle response and seems to be a little crisper with the acceleration, I don't know if it is because it is louder and just seems that way, but I don't think so. The e-series is a definite improvement over the stock exhaust, the power gains on it seems to be a little more spead out over the power band with less noticable throttle response.

One of the first things we noticed is that when our two 400's are sitting side by side and idling the sound waves emitted from the exhausts kind of cancel each other out. This makes it sound like the both are running really bad and missing or something, its kind of annoying actually. But we don't really sit around much and idle so we have gotten used to it.

I like both pipes, but for my money I wouldn't switch from my Powercore.

MOFO
03-14-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by RedRocket
....One of the first things we noticed is that when our two 400's are sitting side by side and idling the sound waves emitted from the exhausts kind of cancel each other out. This makes it sound like the both are running really bad and missing or something, its kind of annoying actually. But we don't really sit around much and idle so we have gotten used to it.

I like both pipes, but for my money I wouldn't switch from my Powercore.

LOL, when I ride with my buddy that has the same pipe... FMF Powercore IV SA, we always run into this problem. When we are close to each other...our quads sounds like they are missing or running rough because the sound waves resonate or something...kinda strange when it happens... :huh :D

Eric

03-14-2002, 07:03 PM
Hey man if you haven't bought a pipe yet I'll sell you one with about 4 hours on it with a dynojet jet kit and can garauntee you 4 more ponies on bottom, 3 more peak, and I think 4 more on top end. (but thats running without an airbox lid. running with the lid on the numbers are a little less call Dynojet and the'll tell you the same.) And the best thing is I'll sell you the pipe my stock headpipe and the jet kit for $175, which is cheaper than you can buy the pipe new.(I think) If interested email me at hippiemcgrath@cs.com . I rode with a friend that had a White Bros pipe on his 400 and it was way louder than my power core 4.

frogburner
03-14-2002, 07:44 PM
My cousin has a powercore IV on his Raptor, its not to loud, he also has powerbomb headers too. I have a FMF megamax2 on my 400EX and its not to bad either. Just really depends on how you mash around on the throttle.:huh

KJS
03-15-2002, 05:01 PM
:mad: BLEW OUT THE FMF PIPE AT LIL SAHARA . Had to rig it for 4 more days of riding. GOT HOME AND BOUGHT WB S BEND LOVE IT

400exBro
03-16-2002, 06:52 PM
I love my pipe. if you run mx, run with out the s/a that things comes on so strong down low and doesn't want to keep the front end until i hit 4rth gear. and the sound is a lot louder,if you don't mind that. ;) throttle response is great, but i bought my self the k&N power kit and that also gave me some throttle response.
Also you can fin tune the wb pipe with the disks, if you like quiet go done to 4 discs, and also you don't have to rejet,just add or subtract the number of discs.
Defitinly worth the money.
lata
Bro

honda440ex
04-15-2002, 02:48 PM
I have Powerbomb header and a power core IV for $300 together