PDA

View Full Version : Lake Effect Snows - Pics Finally Developed!

400exdad
04-12-2004, 03:56 PM
In January, I was able to take a quick trip to Kingston, Ontario via Rochester, New York and along the east side of Lake Ontario. I am here to say that I have new respect for the Lake Effect Snows! :eek2: The pics here were from Pulaski, NY which is a small town which we were diverted through the worst effected 10-15 mile length of interstate. Going through town, where people were traveling, was okay and we could get around pretty good in the front wheel drive mini-van. However, we almost went "where no man had gone before" and the snow immediately was 8" deep and you couldn't see where the edge of the road was. :huh Everyone was quiet in the van and I spoke up and said: "Look we need gas (it was on empty) and I gotta pee! Let's turn around, go back and then decide if we want to get stranded!" :grr: I guess the fair weather southern boy was coming out... :) Anyway, enjoy the pics.

400exdad
04-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Another

400exdad
04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Last one. You can see that the snow was about 5' deep on the edge of the road!

theTman
04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
we are hoping for no snow.. no rain.. summer weather!!!! y didnt u show this during the winter months?!

400exdad
04-12-2004, 04:01 PM
I edited the title.... I finally got my pics developed! :D

brian-250
04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by theTman
we are hoping for no snow.. no rain.. summer weather!!!! y didnt u show this during the winter months?!

he dosent want us to forget:grr:

2001400ex
04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
I'll post a few pictures in a minute from the last time me, my dad, my brother, and my dads two friends went up to Tug Hill snowmobiling...we ran right into a white-out...oh boy...I've never been so scared I don't think...and worst of all we were leading the pack of about 6-7 cars behind us and an 18 wheeler. Then we met up and merged with another pack of people and two 18 wheelers came about 15 feet from crashing into eachother...it was the weekend that Palauski got hit with like 6 feet...it was nuts...

2001400ex
04-12-2004, 04:29 PM
While we were coming up, we noticed alot of fresh snow, on the way up we saw a sign that said white-out ahead. I said damn we are lucky, we must've just came in behind it! 20 minutes later it starts to snow hard, and everyone in the car is saying every curse-word imaginable because we all think we are going to die, yes we hit the white-out...

This is what we were dealing with...
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/veilside/white.jpg
This is when we met up with the others and we didn't have to lead the pack anymore...a Ford Taurus in front of us...
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/veilside/damn.jpg
From outside the window...
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/veilside/wow.jpg
The snowbanks were as high as the truck...
http://www.angelfire.com/alt/veilside/snowbanks.jpg

SGA
04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
Nice pics. I miss the snow. Last time it snowed here was 1988

2001400ex
04-12-2004, 04:32 PM
You won't miss it when you're caught in a situation like 400exdad and myself were caught in!:devil:

popo
04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Aw that's nothing, I walked to school in weather like that in North Dakota.

Tommy 17
04-12-2004, 07:28 PM
ppfft thats everyday here!!!! haha:p

Atreyu
04-12-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by popo

Barefoot? Uphill, both ways?

nacs400ex
04-12-2004, 07:48 PM
Looks very familiar, you learn to expect that when ya live in Canada. Sucks to hear you were in a van, but I guess thats better than being in a car.

How was your stay in the Great White North ?

2001400ex
04-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by popo

When you're just a couple Jersey boys it sure as hell is somethin!:devil:

We were ALL chittin our pants...damn what a weekend now that I think about it...I also jumped across a road accidentally and have a scar on my chin now...and we asked an old guy if he needed help getting his car out of the snow, but we would hold up traffic so we rolled up the windows and left him there...LMAO we are all goin' to hell for that one...:blah:

400exdad
04-13-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by nacs400ex
Looks very familiar, you learn to expect that when ya live in Canada. Sucks to hear you were in a van, but I guess thats better than being in a car.

How was your stay in the Great White North ?

I really don't like mini-vans.... but they do have there good points..... but still not worth it! :D

You could call this trip, the trip from he!!. We left Memphis, connected somewhere and ended up in Rochester. From there we drove to Syracuse and picked someone up from that airport. Then we drove from Syracuse to Kingston, Ontario. Because of delays we didn't get to Kingston until about 8:30 and we were supposed to get there at 6:00. We went out to dinner... Kingston is pretty cool (and cold :D btw) and then went to bed. Next day, we went to a factory in Kingston, had a meeting and tour and then got our lunch to go... We ate on the road back to NY and all the previous stops from just the day before! With the road closures and detours..... we all caught the last plane out back to connections to Memphis, Chicago and Long Island. (5 different people, 3 different cities).... with only minutes to spare! :eek: I really didn't get to see or enjoy any of the Great White North, but I can say that I have actually been to Canada. Coming back it was daylight and I saw some of the most beautiful area at and near "Land of a 1000 Islands" also located in Canada. I believe it would be awesome to go there on a summer trip... Folks actually have their own islands with homes! I also saw snowmobile lanes next to a state highway! :eek2: That would be like having a 4 wheeler trail next to a road here.... it happens, but ain't :) legal! :grr: It was a trip I will never forget!

Pappy
04-13-2004, 06:59 AM
cool pics!

i like snow..as long as it is all gone within 2 days:D

250rAL
04-13-2004, 08:28 AM
What's really fun is a whiteout like in those pictures, but at night. The falling snow just reflects the headlights back at you and you can't see ANYTHING. The last time I drove in that, I ran off onto the shoulder and got stuck and I didn't even know I was off the road until I got out of the car!

zephead400ex
04-13-2004, 08:38 AM
Snow is cool while it is snowing but once it stops, I want that **** outta here! Once it starts to melt, it then freezes and turns to ice:mad: ...I have had bad expericiences with ice on the damn road:eek:

2001400ex
04-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
What's really fun is a whiteout like in those pictures, but at night. The falling snow just reflects the headlights back at you and you can't see ANYTHING. The last time I drove in that, I ran off onto the shoulder and got stuck and I didn't even know I was off the road until I got out of the car!

That happened to one of the guys who was in the truck with us that day the season before this one that just passed. I sure as hell don't wanna be caught in a white-out at night...you serioussly have to do 1-2mph if you are in one at night...

ReconRider25
04-13-2004, 10:39 AM
yea we get snow like that here alot being only 30-45 min north of buffalo, ny.:o only thing is that it dosent stay cuz of our screwy weather where sometimes its 70 degrees in middle of winter.:huh

mxdave28
04-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
ppfft thats everyday here!!!! haha:p

WORD!!:blah: yea that looks like a typical winter day here in good ol'e Pa. i guess if your from the south ya'll probably never get to see a normal snowfall but once a blue moon. glad ya surrvived

TheFontMaster
04-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Reconrider25 I know what u mean. Im jus north of utica, most of january hear the temp was in the negatives. But I miss the snow. I went to okmo vt for last weekend for the last 2 days of snowboardin. I miss it already. :(