PDA

View Full Version : 400EX with 450R shocks

dave_borg98
04-12-2004, 02:55 PM
I have read a ton of threads on here and everyone says that the 450R shocks will not work with the 400EX. I have not been able to find a thread that states why. I know the mount points would need to be modified a little bit and the valving is different but those are basic mods. Is there any other reason why it wont work? i.e. The geometry (if this is the reason then what about it would make it not work). I appreciate all the help especially since this topic has come up so many times.

David

cdalejef
04-13-2004, 07:26 AM
The stroke on each shock is different.

dave_borg98
04-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Thanks

tore up
04-13-2004, 11:07 AM
If you can put yfz450 shocks on a 400ex I dont see why you cant put 450r shocks on one. I dont have alot of money but I do have alot of Knowledge and Mech. ability. I put yfz450 front shocks on my 400ex and all I did was redo the top mounts and adjusted the shocks to my style of riding and they are very impressive shocks!! I have been riding for over 20 years and these are some of the best stock shocks ever made,IMO. I race desert in the Sidewinders series of Dist.38 in Octillo near San Diego Ca. and since I put these shocks on the bike, It performs and handles alot better. I just completed a 66 mile desert race in march and I'm going to be racing in a 200 mile desert race on April 17. By the way I finished first in the Ameture 251cc and up class. I posted pics of the modified 400ex and got back alot of negitive feed back on how " it would not work, that it was stupid of me to do that mod to a 400ex, etc. " I am here to say dont let negitive feed back stop you from experimenting, How do you think all these large companys make there products. There taking the stock products that Yamaha and Honda and all these other atv manufactures produce and modifing them to fit there needs. Yes they put R&D into there product but it bolts on to the stock mounts that the factory made. If you dont try it you will never know, put your own reach and design into it. Once again dont let these " experts " stop you from trying something new, take there thoughs but IT NEVER HURTS TO TRY. You never know it could work out *****in!!!!:macho

Pappy
04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
seeing that you MODIFIED the shock mount is one thing, its another to let someone assume they are a direct bolt on.

tore up
04-13-2004, 11:37 AM
I would post a link to the thread with the pics of the 400ex, but I did a search and it did not come up, :( I clearly stated and so did dave that the upper mount would need to be modified to work. The only reason that the yfz450 shock does not fit in the 400ex upper mount is because the mount is about a 1/4" to narrow. That is it, by removing the stock mount and replacing it with a slightly larger mount in the exact same location that the orginal mount was removed from, also I added a upper gusset to the mount ( which everyone does, stock or modified ) to enssure its durability, it worked just fine. A very simple affordable alturnitve to high priced aftermarket products.:)

Pappy
04-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by tore up
A very simple affordable alturnitve to high priced aftermarket products.:)

only if you or the person can do the work themselves. the average rider doesnt have access to or the knowledge needed to fabricate anything.

i'd say the shocks will work, but what about the additional travel that the yfz shocks have that cant be utilized? i do agree the adjustability is a big benefit but for a person to have the frame mods done and buy the shocks they are in the same ball park as a set of decent used high end shocks.

anything can be done or made to function!

tore up
04-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Average price of a good slitely used pair of yfz450 shocks= 150.00 shipped
The amount of money in steel for the modification= 8.38 tax encluded
The amount of time to do the modifiction 2hrs.= Average Certified Welder in San Diego charges 36.50 an hour=73.00 no tax on labor.
If you prep the area to be welded ( by cutting the orginal mounts off flush with the frame ) you save the Welder alot of time that he cannot charge you for. The price goes down from there.:)

p.s. I am a certified welder and I also own my own business.

( sorry for the spelling ):)

Pappy
04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
your not getting the fact that most people cant change thier own oil...and when they read that yfz shocks or trx shocks fit a 400ex they rush out and spend thier money and are stuck.

and the avergage rate for a welder around here is double what you posted...$85 an hour

save yourself trouble people..get the correct suspension under your ride and NEVER half *** it. Im not educated enough to fully explain about shock stroke...shaft length ...shock bind....etc but there are a few here that are. I for one wouldnt want to hit a high speed kicker in 5th gear and HOPE everything works right;)

04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
What if the stroke of the shocks is greater than what the A-arms were designed for. You then land a jump, bottom out the shock, snap the ball joint or possibly spindle or a-arm in half, do a face plant in the ground, bust out all your teeth, need stitches in your head, a cast for the broken arm and straw to suck your food thru because of the broken jaw...:eek:

Just an example that just because it fits doesn't mean it's going to work correctly.

Saving a buck today might cost you 2 bucks tomorrow..;)

tore up
04-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Once again I said put your own R&D into it. I am a Cad designer working with Mechanics is what I do. I took the time to look at the mechanics of the shock and the a-arms of the 400ex. The arms of the 400ex have more travel in them than the yfz shocks. If there are not any stress fractures in the ball joints or the spindals you will not have a problem. People break there stock suspension every day ( without modifications ) weather by fault of the rider or fault of the equipment. As you stated before Nothing is impossible, but as I stated take the time to do the R&D if you have the CAPABILITY. I dont want to start a war on weather you can or cant. I know for a fact that there are BILLONS of people that cant change there own oil, but there are some that can and would rather do it themselves than pay high prices for someone else to change there oil. That is the the only point that I am trying to get across, companies put alot of time and effort into research and design of there products so that they can sell a product with confidence and somesort of a grantee. If he is going to be selling this modification on some sort of litteriature then I would suggest he put alot of research into it and develope the idea. This is a forum that people go to to give and recive ideas about there atvs and experiances. Its just an idea for the people that dont want to spend 500.00, 600.00 and on up on after market shocks.

San Diego modification price= 231.38 +/-
Pappy's price (I am sorry, I dont know where you are from)=328.38 +/-

( sorry for the spelling :) )

BSTURDIVANT
04-13-2004, 01:48 PM
We put my 450r shocks on our practice 400Ex and they are better than stock but still too stiff!
The shocks have to be ground at the top of the eye to clear the nut for the plastic mount- other than that, direct bolt on!

cdalejef
04-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
We put my 450r shocks on our practice 400Ex and they are better than stock but still too stiff!
The shocks have to be ground at the top of the eye to clear the nut for the plastic mount- other than that, direct bolt on! Bolt in yes, but there is gonna be issues!