PDA

View Full Version : Valves!

EXDUNER127
04-12-2004, 02:36 PM
When do you know when you have to adjust your valves. Cause i havent done it yet...

And should i mix my gas 1/2 race and 1/2 91 octane to run cooler, because now that i put the carb on and timing key my bike runs too hot, what can i do to run a little cooler?

cals400ex
04-12-2004, 03:22 PM
you should be fine on premium fuel. just make sure your jetting isn't too lean.

nakomis0
04-12-2004, 11:55 PM
So you uuhh, installed a sparks degree key and didn't adjust your valves?:huh

Yaaa, I'm gonna say your timing is off.

You cant get TDC with the flywheel markings anymore you have to stick a screw driver down the spark plug hole.

Start with fixing that.

Other cooling options would be a colder plug, larger oil tank, FST cooler mod.

You only need to run 93 octane fuel. That race fuel actually makes you slower.

UglyMotha™
04-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
So you uuhh, installed a sparks degree key and didn't adjust your valves?:huh

Yaaa, I'm gonna say your timing is off.

why would you need to adjust your valves just becuase you installed a key, and how exactly would your timing be off, yes it's advanced 6* but it's not off :huh

EXDUNER127
04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
my engine builder said nothing about adjusting my valves just because we installed the key!

cals400ex
04-13-2004, 11:54 AM
i probably would have adjusted the valves before putting the key in. now when you do it the T mark will be slightly off.

UglyMotha™
04-13-2004, 11:58 AM
it's cake to adjust your valves with the timeing key and no you don't need a screw driver :huh :rolleyes: you turn the flywheel until the t mark lines up with the mark in the case and then turn it just until the t starts to disappear outta the hole and your done now you can properly adjust your valves

cals400ex
04-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
it's cake to adjust your valves with the timeing key and no you don't need a screw driver :huh :rolleyes: you turn the flywheel until the t mark lines up with the mark in the case and then turn it just until the t starts to disappear outta the hole and your done now you can properly adjust your valves

yes, but i figured the average rider didn't know that 6 degrees was only this small amount. good point though

Aallron
04-13-2004, 05:47 PM
You are talking 6 degrees of CRANKSHAFT rotation which means 3 degrees of CAMSHAFT rotation. Camshafts in 4 stroke motors run at 1/2 crankshaft rpm.

nakomis0
04-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Oh ya guess I had a brain fart.. For some reason I wasn't thinking the degree key just controlled spark timing.... my bad.

I still do the screw driver thing I don't think my eyes are calibrated for 6 degrees.

UglyMotha™
04-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Aallron
You are talking 6 degrees of CRANKSHAFT rotation which means 3 degrees of CAMSHAFT rotation. Camshafts in 4 stroke motors run at 1/2 crankshaft rpm.

yah..................... :huh :confused:

what exactly does that have to do with anything the key doesn't change the cam position any the cam is still set in the same spot only the flywheel is rotated 6 degrees which in turns advances your timing the cam is left alone and no the crankshaft isn't rotated any just the flywheel

wilkin250r
04-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Don't confuse any newbies with talk of camshaft vs crankshaft rotation... ;)

Basically, if you look in your manual, it says to find Top Dead Center (TDC) by looking for the "T" on the flywheel through a little hole in the flywheel cover. Your valve timing must be at TDC to adjust them.

If you add the timing key, then the "T" mark isn't at top dead center anymore, because you just advanced your timing. You (or your mechanic) need to use another method to find TDC, either with a degree wheel and stop or with a guage. If you send it in to a shop to adjust the timing, make SURE they know that you have the timing key installed.

nofear911
04-14-2004, 05:34 AM
What is a FST Cooler mod?

cals400ex
04-14-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by nofear911
What is a FST Cooler mod?

it is a larger oil cooler that helps keep the temp down on the bikes.