PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Jet kits 400EX

KHB
04-12-2004, 10:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone has installed a DJ kit? And if so what stage and was the power increase worth it. I have a 100% stock 400 and was thinking about at least doing a stage II kit. I am planning on keeping the stock exhaust. I want a power increase with out a ton of additional noise. Granted there are other thing such as carb and cam options but I dont really want to do one of those at this point. Any feed back would be helpful.

cals400ex
04-12-2004, 11:44 AM
if your bike is stock don't mess with the jets too much. i would do a cam, piston, and carb.

KHB
04-12-2004, 11:53 AM
So the DJ kits do not do to much to increse HP on the EX's. I also have a DRZ 400S that I did a modified DJ kit on and the bike was 100% stock till that point and the kit made a huge difference. Granted the bike had some carb setting that were designed to pass emmision test. I am thinking that with the EX because it does not have to meet any standard that I may not get much benfit out of a kit, and that is why I posted the question. I am not have an objection to putting a cam into it noise is only limiting factor that and I want to mantain the awesome Honda reliability.

Doibugu2
04-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by KHB
So the DJ kits do not do to much to increse HP on the EX's. I also have a DRZ 400S that I did a modified DJ kit on and the bike was 100% stock till that point and the kit made a huge difference. Granted the bike had some carb setting that were designed to pass emmision test. I am thinking that with the EX because it does not have to meet any standard that I may not get much benfit out of a kit, and that is why I posted the question. I am not have an objection to putting a cam into it noise is only limiting factor that and I want to mantain the awesome Honda reliability.

When I got mine, I put the stage 1 on and all it gave me was a crisper throttle response. I would doubt any increase in HP.

You can only due stage 2 if you have the aftermarket exhaust, otherwise you will be running to rich.

cals400ex
04-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by KHB

oh, the cam won't do much for the sound. if you put in a stage 1 hotcam or xr 400 cam with your stock bore you would be fine. if you wanted to go larger on the piston, i would probably get a stage 2 hotcam or hrc cam. you will still have great reliability with any of these setups unless you go really high compression or large bore. my friend put in a non-true 10:1 406 piston and stage 1 cam and had great improvements. when he put on his x-4 pipe, the improvements were more noticable.

personally, i won't run the dynojets. i will just go buy the individual keihin jets that you need to use.

KHB
04-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Cool thanks for the feed back. I know that in most case with the DJ kit what you want is their needle. The taper is different then stock, which is why with a DJ kit you usually run a smaller MJ then you would when you use the stock needle. When you run the stock needle you need a bigger MJ to compensate for it's shape. In most cases the DJ kit just gives a cleaner jetting so to speak. Well I guess if I really want a noticable imporvement that I should do a cam. I was afraid that the DJ kit for the 400EX would not make a big noticable power increase just clean up the responce. Oh well I guess it is only money right!

cals400ex
04-12-2004, 01:00 PM
yes, it is only money that i would save. :D some people agree others disagree. i wouldn't get the kit, others would. most do say that their needle is a son of a gun to tune in. who knows. i still say cam and piston and/or a new carb. good luck

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 01:23 PM
i had the dynojet kit for a while but after i built my bike i went back to oem, i think the dynojet kit is pretty much a waste of money, if i was you i would stick with the khein jets plus there easier to get ahold of when your jetting your bike

KHB
04-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Well I have read some of the other threads on the cams and I guess I may try a stage 1 cam. When you look at it the stage 1 cam kit is cheaper then the stage II DJ kit. And from what you all are saying the DJ Kit is a waste.

I am guessing that swaping cams is not that big if a deal. It has been awhile since I have torned into a 4 stroke.

Who makes the Hot Cams cams?

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 02:17 PM
wow talk about mass confusion, i think your lost really deep in the woods........... :huh

well hotcams make the hotcam cams

as for the cam stage 1 and 2 KITS, i think your confusing that with the dynojet stage 1 and 2 kits hotcams has two different cams one is the stage 1 and the other is a stage 2 neither one is a kit, now dynojets have a stage 1 and 2 kit the stage 1 is for a stock machine and the stage 2 kit is for a piped machine and no airbox lid neither one comes with a cam and both cams cost the same price and as for the dynjet kit the stage 1 and 2 comes in the same kit

KHB
04-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Na I am not confused I just may have typed the wrong word. I understand the difference in the DJ Kits and the different stages of the cams fully.

I also though that Hotcams were made by Wisco but unsure of that, and that is why I was asking.

With my quad being stock I would never run a stage 2 cam unless I planned on doing additional modifications at the same time. The stage 1 cam is the only cam I would consider. As for my orginal question that was answered well, was about weather the DJ kits were worth the money basically.

I am basically looking to improve the mid to top end with out loosing to much low end. And in the past I have had very good luck with the DJ kit that I modified for my bike. Granted for the bike I started with what would be a DJ stage I kit and I turned it into my version of a stage II kit. And was willing to do that with the quad but from what I am told the work involved is not worh the imporvement. That is why I am now considering to install a stage I cam. Like all improvement I am lookin for the biggest bang for the buck. Hell I spent $75.00 on the DJ kit and some additional jets for the bike and easily imporved the power across the powerband 10% - 15%. I was curious if some people in here have had good luck with the kit for the EX but that is not the case. So on to plan 2.

DEAL
04-12-2004, 04:36 PM
I added a uni filter, removed my lid and added the stage 2 kit... it ran so much better, more throttle respeonse, a fair power increase considering it didn't cost me much in the first place.

kilabeez0
04-12-2004, 07:16 PM
wuts the difference between DJ stage 1 and stage 2? sizes of jets? I have a K&N i haven't installed and am ordering a pipe, i figured i should definitely jet it. Why would some of u run stock jets with pipes and filters???

cals400ex
04-12-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by kilabeez0
wuts the difference between DJ stage 1 and stage 2? sizes of jets? I have a K&N i haven't installed and am ordering a pipe, i figured i should definitely jet it. Why would some of u run stock jets with pipes and filters???

we are running the stock brand jets (keihin), not the stock sizes.

kilabeez0
04-12-2004, 08:53 PM
ahhhh gotcha

KHB
04-13-2004, 07:31 AM
The DJ kit contains a needle and a few MJ for fine tuning and some springs. The needle in the DJ kit has a different taper then the Stock needle. As far as stock MJ's, a jet is a jet. The DJ jets and the stock Keihin jets are the same. What I mean is that DJ140 is the same as a Keihin 140. I have been told many time that the DJ jets are different then the factory jets. Well they are not. A DJ Stage I kit is designed to impove responce and clean up the over all jetting. A DJ Stage II is designed for more air flow. It usually works in conjunction with an air box modification of some sort to bring in more air. All a engine is, is an air pump. The more you can get in it and out if it, the more power the engine will create. And when you increase the volicity of either the intake or exhaust you need to mix more fuel with it. I know alot of people get confused when they install a DJ kit because you are installing a MJ that in most cases the number is smaller then the one you are removing. This is because you are installing a needle with a different taper. Remember that there is an overlapping between the jetting with in a carb. The ploit jet and needle over lap some and so does the needle and the MJ. That is why people who run the stock needle usually run a bigger MJ then those running the DJ needle. When jetting a carb remember that every part of that carb does to a point build on eachother so take your time and work through the whole powerband to get the jetting dialed in for you set up. Takes some time but it is well worth the effort.

kilabeez0
04-13-2004, 03:53 PM
i was going to buy a used DJ stage 1 kitfor $25. since i'll have a pipe and filter and probably go with no air box lid i guess i should wait and get a stage 2? so the difference between the stage 1 and stage 2 kits are the tapers of the jets?

tstrenuous10
04-13-2004, 05:16 PM
hey do any of you know what size jets it comes with? im kinda curious because i change i dont always need a big difference in jets....matbe a size or 2 so if you could tell me it would be great.

just to give you an idea of what i ride its msotly closer (under 1000) to sea level but go to rubicon and sand mountian so i need some jets for here too. just ordered an hmf full exhaust and they reccommended a 180 190 jet and i want to know what jets come with the kit so i can decide whether to buy the kit or just jet by jet.

hondarider2006
04-13-2004, 05:31 PM
the largest is a 170, and the smallest is a 136 I believe, I could be wrong on the smallest one though, correct me if I am wrong.

rap169
04-13-2004, 09:12 PM
stage one kit for sale for 25 bucks if anybody is interested

kilabeez0
04-13-2004, 09:50 PM
someone tell me wut exactly the difference between stage 1 and 2? is it only the taper of the jets???

tstrenuous10
04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
if its the taper of the jets what jets come with the stage 2 and what jets come with the stage 1. right now i dont think i should buy one just because it doesnt have jets close to what i am looking for and i think i would need a bigger carb to run a 170 jet with an exhaust that needs around a 180 190 jet right now.

KHB
04-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Kilabeez, I believe that the difference between the stage I and II are just the jets. I believe that the stage II is designed to run with out an air box lid or with some sort of hole in it. But you may have to change your pilot jet with a stage II. Having not done a stage II kit on a 400ex myself, I am not sure. Maybe you can e-mail DJ and get some more specifics from them.

Good luck man

BigBadJ-400ex
04-15-2004, 02:57 PM
Hope this helps..........

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/Q107.pdf

DEAL
04-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by KHB
The DJ kit contains a needle and a few MJ for fine tuning and some springs. The needle in the DJ kit has a different taper then the Stock needle. As far as stock MJ's, a jet is a jet. The DJ jets and the stock Keihin jets are the same. What I mean is that DJ140 is the same as a Keihin 140. I have been told many time that the DJ jets are different then the factory jets. Well they are not. A DJ Stage I kit is designed to impove responce and clean up the over all jetting. A DJ Stage II is designed for more air flow. It usually works in conjunction with an air box modification of some sort to bring in more air. All a engine is, is an air pump. The more you can get in it and out if it, the more power the engine will create. And when you increase the volicity of either the intake or exhaust you need to mix more fuel with it. I know alot of people get confused when they install a DJ kit because you are installing a MJ that in most cases the number is smaller then the one you are removing. This is because you are installing a needle with a different taper. Remember that there is an overlapping between the jetting with in a carb. The ploit jet and needle over lap some and so does the needle and the MJ. That is why people who run the stock needle usually run a bigger MJ then those running the DJ needle. When jetting a carb remember that every part of that carb does to a point build on eachother so take your time and work through the whole powerband to get the jetting dialed in for you set up. Takes some time but it is well worth the effort.

no they aren't.
The stage 2 kit comes with a 170 jet used for a removed air box lid and an exhaust system , if you bought keihin jets you would only need a 155-158 for the same setup.
When I ran a stock pipe with removed air box lid and a uni filter I was running a 165 dyno jet, which if you ran a 165 keihin jet would be much too rich.

cals400ex
04-16-2004, 01:38 PM
correct, dynojets and keihin jets are a different numbering pattern.

however, i have been told my numerous people that the dynojets run bigger than the keihin jets (a smaller DJ = a larger keihin jet). i am not positive on that. i have just been told this by several people who have used them

ewalker302
04-16-2004, 09:52 PM
There is no stage 1 and stage 2 kits, there is just one kit & the larger jets in the kit are referred to as stage 2 b/c they are meant to be run without the airbox lid. There is no different taper, the bigger jets are just referred to as stage 2.

The dynojets are different sized than Keihin, a (DJ)142 is the same size as a (stock Keihin) 148.

The (DJ) 146 is one size bigger than (Keihin) 148.

The kit comes with
Needle, clip, washer, Jet holder, Jets

Sizes---134, 138, 142, 146, 155, 160, 165, 170
The 160, 165, and 170 jets are all that stage 2 is.

My 400 w/pipe, filter, degree key, runs perfect w/ a (DJ) 148
(a size not included in the kit)

:bandit: