PDA

View Full Version : A HUGE thanks to ELKA!!!

Pappy
04-12-2004, 09:55 AM
I recieved my shocks in about 5 days ago. I got the tripple rates with compression adjustment and dual rate rear fully adjustable with the new LT linkage. After installing them and making the typicla adjustments I was very satisfied.

I raced saturday and I was SO impressed with the fronts. My favorite shocks to date were a set of ohlins I once had on a 250R and these just took over #1!! You guys did an outstanding job on them and I would like to say thanks:)

The rear and new linkage work extremely well and after a few more adjustments I am prettyy sure I will be raving about it also!

Thank's everyone at ELKA!!!!!

300exOH
04-12-2004, 10:01 AM
I'd like to second that thanks!

I bought Elka economy shocks for my 300ex with the +2+1 300ex Burgards and a shockmount bracket. I filled out the buildsheet myself.:eek: They still came out perfect.

#1 in my book:D

roostin_dale
04-12-2004, 10:28 AM
while we are on the subject i would also like to thank them. Awesome work on ym c-dale shocks....I will be ordering some long travels for the YFZ in a few months..

WhiteBros400ex
04-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Id like to say thanks, my shocks where sent out today so ill have them in today cant wait.:) :D

330R PowerValve
04-12-2004, 03:51 PM
Pappy did the rear linkage and the shock help with keeping the front end down or do you think a +1 and 1/4 be the ticket. I am trying to decide if I need it or not.

Pappy
04-12-2004, 03:52 PM
It did seem to help, not as much as a longer swing arm will but i did notice less lifting. The linkage as I know it is designed to help correct the geometry of the rear shock. I notice a ton less kick now and for that i'm a happy rascal:p

AtvMxRider
04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
I also have to say thanks to Elka and Jeff from the Quadshop.http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/front+shocks.JPG

quadrcr161
04-12-2004, 04:06 PM
i was going to go with axis, but i think im going to try elka for my 450r, wish i had the money for them now . it sucks being broke. they told me that can have a shock set up for mx, and i can change it over to TT very quickly with different springs and settings. im looking forward to that so i wont have to by 2 sets of shocks. they seemed real niceon the phone when i called them.

rowlrag
04-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by 330R PowerValve
Pappy did the rear linkage and the shock help with keeping the front end down or do you think a +1 and 1/4 be the ticket. I am trying to decide if I need it or not.
The LT shock with linkage is the way to go, with the lower ride height from the SSD, you almost have to yank on the bars to wheelie or get way back on the seat. I am VERY pleased with it's performance with Elka front and rear. Now if my LT a-arms would show up:rolleyes:

330R PowerValve
04-12-2004, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
It did seem to help, not as much as a longer swing arm will but i did notice less lifting. The linkage as I know it is designed to help correct the geometry of the rear shock. I notice a ton less kick now and for that i'm a happy rascal:p

Do you think that you will be getting a longer swingarm???

BigThumper33
04-12-2004, 09:50 PM
And to think over a year ago when I was getting my elka's they were getting so much bad talk around the message board!

Elka's are the way to go! :cool:

JDiablo
04-12-2004, 09:56 PM
in this case then i would like to thank elka and jeff@thequadshop for hooking me up with this sweet setup....lol

rowlrag
04-12-2004, 09:58 PM
ooolala;)

rowlrag
04-12-2004, 09:59 PM
I'd post some pics if Jeff would take some:(

shaff107
04-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Rowlrag what LT a arms did u get i am still waiting on my Houser's they said that they should b here by thursday this week

rowlrag
04-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by shaff107
Rowlrag what LT a arms did u get i am still waiting on my Houser's they said that they should b here by thursday this week
Houser also.

shaff107
04-13-2004, 08:47 PM
When were they sayn that u would have urs

rowlrag
04-13-2004, 08:51 PM
they said about 2 more weeks, that was week and a half ago
:(

callen74
04-13-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm also very pleased with my Elka's on my 450. I ordered them from C&D and I received them 4 days later. I was having a hard time keeping the stock rear shock from kicking around but the Elka rear with a few adjustments is working perfectly now. My only complaint is a loud clicking noise coming from the rear shock everytime I push down on the grab bar. It sounds like something is hitting inside the shock. I called Elka and they said it was the check ball in the rebound jet. I know Pappy said his made a slight clicking noise...I'm just curious if anybody else's rear shock makes a clicking noise.

rowlrag
04-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Mine makes no noise at all:confused:

Pappy
04-13-2004, 09:03 PM
the noise on mine is the nyloc bushings used in the elka linkage. ive been informed to swap them with my stock bushings and she will be all quiet again

JWhite
04-13-2004, 09:47 PM
How is Elka's warranty? I've been running Axis for a few years and nothing compairs to them except maybe my old PEPs.

I need to pick up a set of mid-level shocks for the wife and I was thinking about trying some Elkas for her.

z400ACDC
04-14-2004, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by JWhite
How is Elka's warranty? I've been running Axis for a few years and nothing compairs to them except maybe my old PEPs.

I need to pick up a set of mid-level shocks for the wife and I was thinking about trying some Elkas for her.
Tell her how much you love her, Custom Axis! :cool:

Pappy
04-14-2004, 06:04 AM

this kind of statement is exactly why i dismiss any information you or others tend to post.

you say nothing compares to axis yet you ask how elkas are. this leads me to believe that you have no first hand knowledge of elka or how well they preform. dont mean to bust your *** its just an observation

JWhite
04-14-2004, 07:21 AM
this kind of statement is exactly why i dismiss any information you or others tend to post.

you say nothing compares to axis yet you ask how elkas are. this leads me to believe that you have no first hand knowledge of elka or how well they preform. dont mean to bust your *** its just an observation

I asked how thier warranty is because I have no first hand experience with the Elka company's service. If you dismiss what I say because I am an Axis person then so be it. I was thinking about buying some cheaper shocks for the girl. I was wondering if ya knew how well they stand behind thier product. That's all. I in no way wanted to know how the Elkas were as I have tried some before, just never delt with the company. You know what? Maybe you need to get off the defensive and relax a little. :D

And yeah ACDC, I know what you mean. I just was thinking about getting her some cheaper shocks like Elkas or Works. :macho

Pappy
04-14-2004, 07:25 AM
elka stands behind thier products just fine.

infact thier customer service is probably best in the business along with fast replacement parts if needed.

as far as being defensive? not at all.

i just call them like i see them.

04-14-2004, 07:29 AM
cheaper shocks like Elkas or Works. :macho

That's like comparing a 69 VW beetle to a new 2005 corvette...:huh

Elka's warranty is probably the best in the business. Their customer service is by far light years away from it's competitors and I highly suggest you get elkas for your girl. She'll be more than happy with them I'm quite sure..:cool:

JWhite
04-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Rico
That's like comparing a 69 VW beetle to a new 2005 corvette...:huh

Elka's warranty is probably the best in the business. Their customer service is by far light years away from it's competitors and I highly suggest you get elkas for your girl. She'll be more than happy with them I'm quite sure..:cool:

Actually the top of the line Works (Pro Series I believe) are supposed to be up to par with the Elkas from what I've heard from many people who've had them both. Believe it or not. :macho

But yeah, customer service and warranty is what I wanted to know about. So you've called them at Elka and they've been great to work with?

elka stands behind thier products just fine.

infact thier customer service is probably best in the business along with fast replacement parts if needed.

as far as being defensive? not at all.

i just call them like i see them.

That's what I wanted to hear Pappy. I like that fast replacement too.

As far as being defensive and calling them like you see them, maybe you should think about the question somebody asked or what they say before you all jump in with the "that's why I dismiss what you say" attitude. Seems awfully bold and arrogant to me. Did you see me asking how Elkas are? No. But you said I did.

z400ACDC
04-14-2004, 10:56 AM
JW, you are going to get a biased opinion on this site about Honda's and Elka's. IMO, all the major brands will be ok for "most" riders if they are setup correctly(valving and spring rate).

Pappy
04-14-2004, 10:57 AM
you 2 numbnuts should search out a few posts from me on what i have to say about other brands before you label me as biased, i go out of my way to bring factual info and an equal opinion. btw..will you 2 be racing a quad this year or just running the gums:confused:

z400ACDC
04-14-2004, 11:17 AM
Sorry Pappy, I really did not mean that for you! From what I have seen, you have been very helpful and fare with your reports. But I think you would agree, that in general what I posted is true.

Pappy
04-14-2004, 11:21 AM
well we have been doing our best to keep the biased BS beat down! i dont like it at all.

i choose products from companies that work with me and not based soley on price. so far elka has bent over backwards to get me any and everything i needed. with axis and pep ive had to depend on builders. not that thats a bad thing but there seems to be no support from the company itself. elka has won my loyalty.

that doesnt mean i wont tell people they shouldnt run axis or pep...that would just be stupid as both are excellent shocks. it just ticks my *** when someone tells others that product A is the best with no supporting facts or very very little personal knowledge or expierence with teh said product. 99 posts out of 100 are from people that have never tried another brand so how in the hell do they know what works well or doesnt.

04-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Nothing bias from me. Fact is Elka takes care of their customers better than any shock company out there, period, hands down, end of story.:blah:

Can't face the facts then I don't know what too tell ya..:confused:

and JB, my statement about works and elkas was comparing AT steelers to elkas, NOT the pro series. :cool:

Hammer trx450r
04-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Hey Rico you married yet? If so congrats!!!

JWhite
04-14-2004, 03:59 PM
you 2 numbnuts should search out a few posts from me on what i have to say about other brands before you label me as biased, i go out of my way to bring factual info and an equal opinion. btw..will you 2 be racing a quad this year or just running the gums:confused:

Where in the hell did I say or do anything to dererve that? Did I say anything about BIASED? NO. Personally, I don't see where you get off thinking you have the right to be name calling when somebody asks a simple question. I can't believe Harlen would have a trouble making name calling person like you as a moderator. I'll know not to ask you a question again when all I get from you is attitude. Maybe you should take a happy pill or something.

And I've been in and around the racing scene since 1982. You?

Scottie Mac
04-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Pappy's hand creeps closer and closer to the ban button. :devil:

In all seriousness, Pappy does his best to answer questions in an unbiased way. I think you two just took each others post out of context. Can we all be big boys now and move on????

Back to the original question..... I run Axis, my brother runs Elkas. Close your eyes and ride, I dare anyone to tell me which one is which. As far as customer service, we haven't had any problems with the Elkas (thankfully) so we haven't needed any. Same with the Axis. You get what you pay for with the top name shock builders. A quality product.

Scott

JWhite
04-14-2004, 04:22 PM
If I get banned for defending his attack on me that's just ridiculas. He put words in my mouth that I did not say TWICE now and insulted me for it. He really needs to GROW UP.

He broke at least a couple of the ruled posted below for somebody just asking a simple question which was a perfectly good one by the way.

Man is that man on the defensive! Or is it offensive?

Pappy
04-14-2004, 05:06 PM
If I get banned for defending his attack on me that's just ridiculas. He put words in my mouth that I did not say TWICE now and insulted me for it. He really needs to GROW UP.

He broke at least a couple of the ruled posted below for somebody just asking a simple question which was a perfectly good one by the way.

Man is that man on the defensive! Or is it offensive?

you really need to relax or defend your position with out making it personal. you have had the oppertunity to fully express yourself and your knowledge but instead keep directing the posts back at me.

advice....hit the ignore button...get over it or log out cuz i aint going nowhere;)

AtvMxRider
04-14-2004, 05:12 PM
oppertunity

Opportunity :D http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/bolt.gif

Pappy
04-14-2004, 05:15 PM
and btw there JB...last i check numbnut wasnt an officail internet insult.

acdc knows the score:blah:

Pappy
04-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Opportunity :D http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/bolt.gif

its er....er is for error which can me made easily taking the opportunity to try and make a statement;) havent you caught on yet:blah:

AtvMxRider
04-14-2004, 05:22 PM
its er....er is for error which can me made easily taking the opportunity to try and make a statement;) havent you caught on yet:blah: http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/brick.gif

Pappy
04-14-2004, 05:29 PM
O/T

Jerry, you letting your kid race the national this weekend?

AtvMxRider
04-14-2004, 05:47 PM
O/T

Jerry, you letting your kid race the national this weekend?

I would like to Kenny but we have a district race in North Carolina that we can't afford to miss. Points;) .

Pappy
04-14-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
I would like to Kenny but we have a district race in North Carolina that we can't afford to miss. Points;) .

i hear ya...we cant due to a points race on saturday:p

tell him good luck:macho

AtvMxRider
04-14-2004, 05:59 PM

tell him good luck:macho

Will do, thanks:)

SGA
04-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I needed lighter main springs for my front elkas and they sent them to me no charge (from Canda). They were also very helpful answering my questions. I would buy shocks from them again.

Scottie Mac
04-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Jerry,

Have you heard what condition the track in Elizabeth City is in? With the monsoon we have been going thru this week, I can only imagine what kinda mud bogg we may end up with. Wonder is NC has gotten all the rain we have gotten?

Scott

AtvMxRider
04-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Scottie Mac
Jerry,

Have you heard what condition the track in Elizabeth City is in? With the monsoon we have been going thru this week, I can only imagine what kinda mud bogg we may end up with. Wonder is NC has gotten all the rain we have gotten?

Scott

I haven't heard Scott. I checked weather.com and it looked like they were getting it too. It is supposed to warm up tomorrwo so it may be in good shape.

JWhite
04-15-2004, 07:47 AM
Back to subject.

Pappy, how are you liking the Elka rear linkage? Did you notice any differences? Nobody I know has it yet and everybody is wondering about it.

Pappy
04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
i havent taken measurements to see how much additional travel i gained, but it is noticable. at saturdays race we compared my rear to an axis rear with stock linkage and it was a large difference in compressed travel and up travel. not that im qualified to say why thats better but it does what they say it will.

the trx as the 400ex has a problem with the rear shock geometry as noted by people alot more knowledgable then myself. the linkage is supposed to re configure the geometry and add travel.

i have compared the YFZ linkage to the new houser linkage on an axis shock and both work extremely well with elka providing more travel. again, wether thats a signifigance or not i cant tell ya. fact is they work and work well. my yfz does not kick at all now. my trx still does but its a rebound issue that i havent tweaked out yet.

Crayfish
04-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Is there a web page for the Elka shock and Linkage? Would like to do a little reading it.

brandonpeake
04-15-2004, 09:22 AM
so what setup do you have on your yfz pappy?
elka shocks , and they have a linkage for it as well?

Pappy
04-15-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
so what setup do you have on your yfz pappy?
elka shocks , and they have a linkage for it as well?

the TRX and my YFZ both have Elka's LT rear shock and linkage. the YFZ has so much travel I can barely pick the rear off the ground :p being short sucks:mad:

brandonpeake
04-15-2004, 09:41 AM
so which setup do you like better in the woods?

Pappy
04-15-2004, 09:43 AM
so far its been the trx. the yfz is right there with it, but im not found of the way it steers in the tight stuff. i have some leager a arms due in here this week and a hot tip on a toe setting thats supposed to really bring her inline with the TRX so we will see.

04-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Elka's rear linkage setup with new springs is kick arse.

I have it on my 400ex and it was above and beyond my expectations.

I'm 100% confident that anyone that puts this kit on their honda will be more than happy.

There's a small review that I did on mine at the top of the steering and suspension forum for those that want to read up a little on this setup.:cool:

redroost85
04-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Dang Pappy, I think Elka ought to give you a little commission for all the good publicity you give on here......oh wait they already do!:confused: :devil: :macho

Scottie Mac
04-15-2004, 04:27 PM
the TRX and my YFZ both have Elka's LT rear shock and linkage. the YFZ has so much travel I can barely pick the rear off the ground :p being short sucks:mad:

Pappy,

when using the Houser linkage on your YFZ do you know if it requires a different length shock, or different spring and dampning settings? Was wondeing if you already have a LT rear shock if you can then add the Houser linkage to it or if a new shock was required??????

Thank you in advance,

Scott

PS

You going to be at Budds this weekend??????

Pappy
04-15-2004, 05:19 PM
I havent read up fully on what houser recommends. The testing I watched use the standard rear axis shock with no ill effects in handling or to the shock. they did exchange some springs to better set the shock up after initial testing but no other real changes were made.

yep, ill be shooting at budds on sunday. you gonna swing over?

Scottie Mac
04-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Pappy,

Sorry, I got a little mixed up. What I meant to ask was if your ELka linkage set up on the YFZ works with a normal aftermarket shock set up? Or do you have to get a longer shafted shock?

Yes, I will be at Budds on Sunday. I woudl go both days but I think I am going to the points race in D13 on saturday. I will try to track you down.

Later,
Scott

Pappy
04-15-2004, 08:56 PM
you have to use the new springs from elka (but a standard rear elka will work as long as you get the new springs) i think the shock/linkage combo when ordered together is the best way....i cant imagine a standard shock with a spring change having this much travel. i literaly have to get almost on my tippy toes to get the rear tires off the ground. its nutz:p im only 5'10 and short armed so that dont help:D

SGA
04-15-2004, 10:11 PM
I wouldnt consider 5' 10'' short.

thomez
04-16-2004, 12:11 AM
How bout 5'6" :rolleyes:

I have some Elka 19" dual adjust but haven't even ridden on them yet! :eek: