PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Oil Filter ?

snow4fun
04-12-2004, 09:54 AM
With the price of Honda Oil Filters at 10.99 per filter, has any one tried one of these cool stainless steel ones that are cleanable/reuseable and according to Scott's Performance Products should last forever. They also filter down to 35 microns which is about 3 times as good as the best paper filter. Check out this website for more info: http://www.scottsperformance.com/indexframe.html#feedback.htm

Once here, click on Product Index on the left and scroll down to: Stainless Steel Oil Filters
They are 69.95 and they show one for the TRX450R. Has anyone tried one on a TRX450R or anything else??? They were featured in April 2004's Motocross Action on page 216.

Thanks

tkwarrior
04-12-2004, 09:57 AM
I bought one just because the price of $8.50 per filter was crazy. Oh and I paid 63 and some change from the dealer for my Scotts SS filter.

snow4fun
04-12-2004, 10:01 AM
TKWarrior,

Have you cleaned it yet and does it seem to work? Does the oil seem to stay any cleaner when looking through the window versus the paper filters? Thanks for the info! Scott

avaloncon2
04-12-2004, 06:49 PM
I think I am gonna get one next oil change. It will eventually pay for itself.

honda_74
04-12-2004, 09:29 PM
I asked my dealer about them and he said that they were not worth it. Dont know the details..but i think that the Warriors come out with them stock, and he said that he has seen alot of Rod and Crank problems. He seems to think it was because of the filter.

BigThumper33
04-12-2004, 09:41 PM
granted your dealer may have been telling the truth but also consider how much money he poses to loose by that filter alone.....:(

04-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by honda_74
I asked my dealer about them and he said that they were not worth it. Dont know the details..but i think that the Warriors come out with them stock, and he said that he has seen alot of Rod and Crank problems. He seems to think it was because of the filter.

he is prolly just sayin that to get you to buy more filters from him...:o

tkwarrior
04-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Snow4 fun, I just installed the one on my 450R after my last ride and I haven't had a chance for another yet :(

But I do have one installed on my VTX1800 and I've never really seen anything inside when you take it apart to clean it.

For any dealer telling you not to run the SS oil filter it is because they want you to spend 8-10 bucks after every 15-20 hours of riding. Get it over with and spend the 70ish bucks never look back.

eddings
04-14-2004, 10:01 AM
Had one on my Raptor and now have one on my yfz. They work great and I have had absolutely no problems. They flow oil much better than the stock filters and they have smaller pores. Works great IMO. They also have a magnet to trap metal shavings, which I did notice on the Raptor and have not noticed on the YFZ.

GoOn3
04-14-2004, 10:10 AM
probably not a bad investment. Still, I buy oil filters for $3.99/ea through mail order.

honda_74
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I can get the filters for about $5 from him. When i thought about it..i have heard about alot of Warriors having Rod and tranny problems..seems like they are always ticking too? Maybe thats just me buying into what he says though too.

eddings
04-15-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by honda_74

Warriors come stock with what???? a scott's oil filter???

I don't see that happening. Just currious.

snow4fun
04-17-2004, 09:13 PM
FYI,

Sounds like some people have run them. I was down at Rocky Mountain ATV today (http://www.rockymountainatv.com - 1-800-336-5437) and they have a new Stainless Steel Oil Filter that is supposed to be as good as the Scott Performance one. The cool thing about it is that it is anodized Red to match your bike. It is also one that can be taken apart to ensure every part and piece is clean before you reassemble. Anyway I got home and checked out the website: crtperformance.com or a direct link to the filters is: http://www.furious-flow-filters.com/ and when I check the part number against the one they sold me, I have the one for the CRF450 bike part # (CRT001H) and their web site says the TRX450R uses part # (CRT000H), so I have sent them an email to see if it will work or not....The other cool thing is the price. The website says they are 49.99, but I got mine at Rocky Mountain ATV for $39.99. I'll let you know which part number they say I need. Later Scott....

roughrider01
04-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by snow4fun
FYI,

Sounds like some people have run them. I was down at Rocky Mountain ATV today (http://www.rockymountainatv.com - 1-800-336-5437) and they have a new Stainless Steel Oil Filter that is supposed to be as good as the Scott Performance one. The cool thing about it is that it is anodized Red to match your bike. It is also one that can be taken apart to ensure every part and piece is clean before you reassemble. Anyway I got home and checked out the website: crtperformance.com or a direct link to the filters is: http://www.furious-flow-filters.com/ and when I check the part number against the one they sold me, I have the one for the CRF450 bike part # (CRT001H) and their web site says the TRX450R uses part # (CRT000H), so I have sent them an email to see if it will work or not....The other cool thing is the price. The website says they are 49.99, but I got mine at Rocky Mountain ATV for $39.99. I'll let you know which part number they say I need. Later Scott....

I dont see why the part numbers are different. I went to my dealer to get a oil filter for my 450 and the guy had to call honda to get the number (he never sold one for the TRX and wanted to make sure). After looking at the packaging it says crf250 on it, so the crf450r and crf250r use the same filter as the trx450r.

snow4fun
04-17-2004, 10:38 PM
Talk about customer service. I already have a reply about this CRT part number. Rocky Mountain sold me the correct one. Gregg Woodworth from CRT Perfomance emailed me back and said their website was inaccurate and Rocky Mountain sold me the right one, so if any of you decide to go with a cool Red Anodized Stainless steel oil filter, the correct part number should be: CRT001H. Thanks to everyone at the exriders forum for all the great input. Scott....

CRT PERFORMANCE
04-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Hey Guys this is Gregg Woodworth from Furious-flow-filters, I am happy to see you guys are giving our product good remarks. We back our products 100% and give a Lifetime Warranty.

If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask.

"Buy the Best dont be fooled by the Rest"

PS Thanks for the comments!! I will post them on my website for a testimonial.

CRT PERFORMANCE
04-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Also guys i forgot to mention if you want we will be happy to send anyone who uses CRT performance filters out weatherproof stickers to put on there bikes nothing major but just something some of you might want...thanks again:cool: