PDA

View Full Version : Modified airbox lids..????

frogburner
03-13-2002, 06:54 PM
My Question,,,,
I have just installed a Mega Max 2 on my 2002 400EX. I am currently running 7 dics in the rear. If i get a jet kit, and drill holes in the aibox lid, and jet it to the lid with holes, will i need to rejet it if i put the lid without holes in back on?????? Thats one heck of a sentence.. I want two lids so i can adapt it to whatever kind of riding i will be doing..

03-14-2002, 08:08 AM
Sorry dude but your SOL....what you need to do is get an outerwears airbox cover,,this way you can modify the airbox and ride in dry or wet conditions,,but switchin back and forth is not gonna work,,,,at least if you want your bike to run good.

cbrown400ex
03-14-2002, 08:27 AM
The outerwares cover works o.k. You will still get dirt and water in your airbox if you run(race) hard through wet stuff. After my last harescramble I had a small mud puddle in the bottom of my airbox. Now I have an outerware on my filter and I leave the bottom drain plug off. That way water can pass through the airbox. My only alternative is to jet it back down and put the lid on. If you do get an outerware airbox cover, modify your stock lid(cut the center out) to hold it on. The velcro sucks. It doesn't hold at all.

Kadafiy
03-14-2002, 11:19 AM
I got the WB vents and am going to use those. I have to drill 4 1" holes in the airbox and then pop those vents in. I would go with removing the cover but I see alot of mud and water in the spring and fall.

03-14-2002, 11:27 AM
I cut the top out of my lid (well the large square area), cut a piece of stainless to size, bent bent both sides of the stainless (inline with the curvature of the lid), so that even if water goes in, it doesn't hit the filter, and riveted it into place. Not only does it work well, it looks really cool!

I'll snap a photo and post it with some directions if anyone is interested...

cbrown400ex
03-14-2002, 11:28 AM
I'd like to see it. CJ

Kadafiy
03-14-2002, 11:31 AM
I'd like to see it too. Sounds like a good idea.

DESDAK4
03-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Yes, show us

03-14-2002, 11:53 AM
Alright, I'll do my best to grab a photo of it this weekend. I'll see if I can score the digital camera from work for the weekend.

We've been experimenting with a couple of other ideas as well. Last weekend we made one out of lexan, stencilled the 400EX lettering from a 99 'EX and put in onto the lexan. Then we threw it into the sandblaster and blasted it... Now all the lexan is smoked but where it says 400EX you can see through it. Pretty cool, it was a total pain in the @$@ though. Looks the best with a K&N though, because of that nice chrome cap....

03-18-2002, 07:50 AM
Well, here they are... There's 4 photos, two of the stainless set-up and two of the lexan setup. I used a sheet metal bender for both, the stainless you could do without a bender, but the lexan pretty much requires it. Anyone interested in them, PM me and we can discuss.

03-18-2002, 07:55 AM
Well, here they are... There's 4 photos, two of the stainless set-up and two of the lexan setup. I used a sheet metal bender for both, the stainless you could do without a bender, but the lexan pretty much requires it. Anyone interested in them, PM me and we can discuss.

Kadafiy
03-18-2002, 08:39 AM
WHERE?

03-18-2002, 09:31 AM
Working on it... Now it's telling me the files are too big, ARRRGGGHH!

03-18-2002, 10:27 AM
Think I got it now...

03-18-2002, 10:28 AM

03-18-2002, 10:28 AM

03-18-2002, 10:30 AM

400exdad
03-18-2002, 10:36 AM
I like the Lexan the best... how'd ya get the 400EX on it? Bead blast?

03-18-2002, 10:38 AM
Stencilled it, taped it off, and sandblasted it. Worked like a charm... Bending lexan leaves some things to be desired though...

FoxRacer400ex
03-18-2002, 10:47 AM
Those covers are nice. You sellin them?

Kadafiy
03-18-2002, 10:48 AM
Looks good!!! But doesn't seem like it would work to good for watery situations.

03-18-2002, 11:10 AM
I've actually ran the thing in some pretty sloppy weather already and I'm impressed with how well it deflects the water and mud. The sides of the box are water and mud stained and my filter is still clean. I think my next step is to take some pantyhose (nylon mat'l) and cover the holes. That should make it better for summer riding.

FoxRacer, I hadn't intended on selling them, if you're interested, I'd make one for you and sell it to you. I'm not in it for the cash, cover my costs and the beers I drink while making it, and I'm happy!

03-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Darvy - I think you have too much time on your hands! You might as well run with no air box lid. At least it would save you buying a new one.

03-18-2002, 01:21 PM
Hmmm, I'm not concerned about the time it takes to make one, why are you?

Molsonman24
03-18-2002, 01:31 PM
You should take your empty milk jug and high heat silicone and hit ex-pert over the head.

03-18-2002, 01:34 PM
You two Barrie boys should get together for a little ride-fest, if you know what I mean!

quadfamily
03-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Darvy,
I like that idea. It looks good and seems like it works good.

ex-pert,
Please read the rules of this site. We're happy you're joining us but please abide by our rules or you will no longer be a member. Here are the rules for your convenience, they are also at the botton of every page:

RULES
1. If you don't like someone, make believe you do or don't respond. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
2. Leave the flamers to the moderators, don't respond.
3. You can discuss the virtues or shortcomings of any products, organizations, or companies in a polite, factual manner without malice.
4. Have some fun, learn, and enjoy your hobby.
5. Please refrain from swearing or making sexual references.
6. Feel free to attach ATV related pictures to you posts. Non-ATV related pictures that are uploaded to our server will be deleted

4punksdad
03-18-2002, 07:38 PM
that looks like a good idea........if you could fit it to the bottom side of the airbox lid, you could run it in conjunction with the outerwears...........

SGA
03-18-2002, 09:05 PM
Darvy17, That is sweet! I think you hit on something with that lid mod. i'm going to do that to mine. My contribution: I noticed most of the water gets in the airbox (if you have a modded lid) through the gap between the seat and frame. I took some foam pipe wrap for 1/2'' pipe, the kind split down the side, cut two pieces and glued them to the plastic above the frame rails. they make a great seal to keep water out. air can still get in front and back. This is closed cell foam so it won't hold water. I've been through some shallow water at high speed and the filter stayed dry! I run a uni filter with a 3'' hole cut in the lid towards the back so the hole is not over the filter. I do not run a outerwear with the foam filter because it gets gummed up with filter oil and blocks airflow. heres a pic.

SGA
03-18-2002, 09:07 PM
Heres another pic. I used yellow weatherstrip adhesive to glue them in place

4punksdad
03-19-2002, 04:33 AM
sgaexer.........thats a good idea. I too noticed that the water getting into the airbox was "splash" water. Thats why I wanted to protect the filter.
my first choice was the outerwears box cover. it worked ok, but the velcro sucked, and water would "pond" on the cover & soak through.

so I cut the top out of the lid & used the lid to secure the outerwear. that worked ok & helped reduce splash water, but it still allowed water to pond between the lid & the outerwear cover.

thats when I came up with the fabric cover on the outside of the lid. it allows water to run off since the lid is sloped sharply towards the front of the bike.............your design would have saved me alot of work.

03-19-2002, 06:41 AM
Hey 4punksdad,

What exactly is that mat'l you used on your airbox lid, and how did you get it to adhere? I think the two ideas used in conjunction would work really slick!

4punksdad
03-19-2002, 05:27 PM
I purchased it at a fabric store........... I think they call it slippery feeling transparent white stuff??? :o in my dreams the hooters girls wear this stuff rather than their current uniform!

much like the hooters girls........silicone holds it all in place :D

quadfamily
03-19-2002, 07:55 PM
The Hooters girls are REAL man!

NJ300ex
03-19-2002, 08:43 PM
sgaexer, is that the kind of foam that crossbar pads are made of? Where can i get some of that stuff? That is a good idea.

SGA
03-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Yes, its the same stuff as the crossbar pads. Its used to protect water pipes in the winter. You can get it at home depot or most hardware stores. I used the size for 1/2'' water pipes. Its about $2.00 for 6-8 feet.

03-21-2002, 11:44 AM
i have a 300ex with a megamax 2,and i took my whole air box off,it gave me a lot more power. u have to decide on leaving the discs on the pipe,on or off, because u will have to re jet it.

400ex35
12-10-2006, 01:12 PM
what was the angle of bend you used? and did you cut that to the size of the opening?

Chin_Chilla
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
...and another ancient thread has been ressurected...:eek2:

CHEVYZ
12-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Dude, no offense, but take another look at the dates.