PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to grease the swingarm pivot bolt?

mc1984
04-11-2004, 07:57 PM
I just bought my 300ex a couple of months ago (used) I have been trying to do all the necesary preventive maintianance on it so it hopefully lasts me a while. Anyway, I want to grease the swingarm pivot bolt. I was wondering where to start and how hard it is???? Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Dave400ex
04-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Greasing the bolt is not the hard part, getting it out is! Just put the quad on a stand, then take the bolt out, if it will come out. Then grease it well, put some grease on the inside of the swinger where the bolt came out, etc, and put the bolt back in.

toby400ex
04-11-2004, 10:41 PM
I dont think gettin the bolt out will be a problem. Since I think the 300ex has a stainless steel bolt. Mine came out easy and went back in easy on my 300ex

JDiablo
04-12-2004, 08:19 PM
even so,they still could be frozen in place...greasing it isn't hard at all

04'400ex'er
04-15-2004, 09:08 PM
jack the bike up, loosen the chain and try to brake the bolt loose.if you cant, spray WD-40 around the bolt holes.(make sure you are using 1/2inch breakover drive). try again and once you get it broke over it might be necissary to use a punch and hammer to drive the bolt out.then grease like the guy above said.

PhilMoore
04-17-2004, 08:17 PM
If you have an ATV lift, raise the quad up until the rear wheels are just touching the ground.

HOPEFULLY you can just yank it out. If it is stuck, you are in for a real treat.

Grease that thing at least once a year. I do mine once a year, and it is doing just fine.

cletusEX
04-17-2004, 08:26 PM
If it's stuck your gonna need a rather large hammer.

Flip_SideEX
04-18-2004, 07:32 PM
Alright im having the same problem. I cant get my pivot bolt out. On my 400, i have gotten the bigger nut off of the bolt but the littler one i cant get off. I dont know if it is suppose to come or what because my manual sucks. The little bolt is also a little stripped so i dont plan on trying it that much. Which side does the bolt come out on. From left to right or right to left? (sitting on the quad, looking at it from the back end) And yes, i have all other bolts off. But the bolt wont just come off. Im open for ideas.:confused:

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 07:40 PM
flip idk if it is the same way on a 400,but if your looking at the back of the quad,you have to hit it out from left to right...i used a 3 foot long steel rod to get it out

Flip_SideEX
04-18-2004, 07:45 PM
yea i just got word from my friend, that it is a ***** to get out. when i get home from school tomorrow, i will just hit the guts out of the bolt to get it out. i would do it right now, but were under a tornado watch and its raining 5 inches per hour. thanks

JDiablo
04-18-2004, 07:51 PM
don't be the hell out of it,trust me....get something that will fit in the hole and beat the hell out of the rod to get it out,and when putting it back in,don't hammer it in....i messed up my thing and couldnt get the brake lever over it,idk if the 400ex is setup the same way though,so i had to grind down the lil metal i hit up so i could put the c-clip i guess it is called on it to hold the brake lever in place

Flip_SideEX
04-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Yea tried the rod thing. Didnt work, still as strong as before. Hasnt even moved the smallest measurement in the world. I think the thing is going to stay in there as long as it can, but once I probably put everything back together, it will probably fall off when im going 60 down the road.:rolleyes: Any other ideas of getting that swingarm bolt outta there???? Yes, have tried a sludge hammer, the quad has moved farther than the bolt.

JDiablo
04-19-2004, 05:37 PM
lol on which side did you hit it from?

sampleez
04-19-2004, 07:29 PM
i am having pretty much the same problem. Only i can turn the bolt pretty easily, but the bolt will not come out. i have tried a breaker bar, air gun, and hitting it a little. any suggestions???

04-19-2004, 07:31 PM
somneone said they got a light saber off ebay & cut it off with that...i forgot who it was :confused:

sampleez
04-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Riiiight, very helpful

hondarider2006
04-20-2004, 12:15 AM
Here is a fourm on removing the swing-arm bolt....hope this helps a little bit;)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83154&highlight=swingarm+pivot+bolt+removal

PhilMoore
04-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Don't pound on the threaded end. You will swedge the end of the bolt.

You need a hydraulic press. Get the frame in the press so the hydraulic ram can press on the threaded end. Then apply some pressure, not too much though. While the press is bearing down on the bolt, use an air impact wrench to spin it. The vibrations combined with the lateral force of the press may loosen the rusted bolt.

JDiablo
04-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore
Don't pound on the threaded end. You will swedge the end of the bolt.

You need a hydraulic press. Get the frame in the press so the hydraulic ram can press on the threaded end. Then apply some pressure, not too much though. While the press is bearing down on the bolt, use an air impact wrench to spin it. The vibrations combined with the lateral force of the press may loosen the rusted bolt.

i never heard that one before....but that will prolly get any pivot bolt out....good one man;)