PDA

View Full Version : problem w/ bearings in carrier

Nausty
04-11-2004, 05:29 PM
over the past year i've went through pry 3 or 4 sets of carrier bearings and we can't figure out why. 2 or 3 of the sets were stock and then the last set was twin row. All of this is getting really expensive and annoying.
Does anyone know why this might be happening or what we could be doing wrong?

We think it might be because we run the chain snugger (is that a word) than most people but me and my dad arn't sure if that it. ANyone got any ideas why we go though bearings so fast?

04-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Try greasing them after every three rides. They're prolly just getting dry and dirty and failing on you.

Nausty
04-11-2004, 06:09 PM
thanks for the input but we grease it every other ride so that couldn't be it.

My dad is starting to be confinced that it was the chain adjusted to snug and just the fact that the carrier and bearing set isn't tapered over our twin row.

04-11-2004, 06:25 PM
I dont see how your bearings would fail because your chain is too tight.

JOEX
04-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I can understand the chain being too tight can cause wear on the bearings, but I don't know how to explain it on a keyboard...

Another thing, the lock nut could be too tight?

Tommy 17
04-11-2004, 07:29 PM
is there any damage to the axle???

when the bearings are new is there any play in the rear end???

Nausty
04-12-2004, 12:09 AM
it didn't tear up the axle and there wasn't any play in the axle and swingarm but actually if your talking about the entire swingarm it will move about 1/8th of a inch side to side but we just figured it was just a bit of play where it was mounted to the frame/motor. Is that little bit of play really gonna make a differance and arnt' they like that on all of them?

I'll have to talk to my dad about the lock nut.

ALso it always goes on the left side and usually when i start jumping big.

TCracin440ex
04-12-2004, 12:31 AM
its the lock nut...ive had the same problems with a 250x....then i got a different lock nut and i aint had no problems yet......if you race u might want to ditch the lock nut idea and get a anti-fade lock nut...that has the brake caliper hub built into the lock nut.....im almost 100% sure this is the problem...

04-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Spending $180 on a antifade is not gonna fix the problem. Sounds to me the entire rearend on your quad needs new bearings and seals Nausty. Too much play in everything back there I'm thinking is wearing out your carrier.

Pappy
04-12-2004, 08:37 AM
let's see....

chain too tight + jumping alot = wore out bearings.

04-12-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
let's see....

chain too tight + jumping alot = wore out bearings.

Yeah I forgot to add that having a tight chain will not help at all either.:D

Nausty
04-12-2004, 09:14 PM
thanks for all the input guys, we rebuild the rear end all the time and we're gonna look into the little bit of play but other than that everything seems to be right. We're just gonna run the chain looser and we're pretty sure that will be the fix.

Again thanks for all the ideas.