PDA

View Full Version : Tips on hillclimbs?

NaturalNoobie
04-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Anyone got any tips on climbing huge hills? Anything would be helpful!

TheFontMaster
04-11-2004, 05:50 PM
The bigger hills that I ride are about 90 ft. The best sugestion i have is keep the quad on the top end and dont let off the throttle unless it wheelies, and stand up on it to keep more weight on the front so it doesnt wheely. Thats what i do, and its kept me climbin hills safely and easilly.

NaturalNoobie
04-11-2004, 08:45 PM
What gear do you usually hit those in?

TheFontMaster
04-11-2004, 08:50 PM
I got a 300ex and i hit them in 3rd. My friends with 400ex's and preditors hit them in 2nd i think, because of taller gearing. How big are the hills u climb, and what do u ride?

The hills i climb are sand.

NaturalNoobie
04-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I got a 300ex and i hit them in 3rd. My friends with 400ex's and preditors hit them in 2nd i think, because of taller gearing. How big are the hills u climb, and what do u ride?

The hills i climb are sand.

I have a 300ex..:macho Most of the hills I climb are 40 feet long and they are pretty steep. I ride at a old coal mine that was abandoned a while ago. The hills are coal with alot of loose dirt and rocks in them. Ill probably post pics later of where I ride so you get a better idea.

QuadJunkies
04-11-2004, 09:25 PM
, and stand up on it to keep more weight on the front so it doesnt wheely. Thats what i do, and its kept me climbin hills safely and easilly.

What if you WANT to do wheelies up hills????:blah: :macho :D ;)

TheFontMaster
04-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Ive wheelied up a hill before, and i dont plan on doin it again. But i hope u dont get hurt when yer quad rolls down the hill.
:blah:

QuadJunkies
04-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Ive wheelied up a hill before, and i dont plan on doin it again. But i hope u dont get hurt when yer quad rolls down the hill.
:blah: I hope so too!!!:o :p I wont take a Hill that I dont think I cant climb....;) That was my Ole Man climbin in this pic.....:)

TheFontMaster
04-11-2004, 10:07 PM
Jus make shure he aint ridin yer quad. :cool:

QuadJunkies
04-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Jus make shure he aint ridin yer quad. :cool: hahah.that IS my Quad!!!!!:blah: He is the whelie king on my Honda,

Plus he knows if he wrecks it.That just means I get a new one........:D ....lol

TheFontMaster
04-11-2004, 10:11 PM
Thats good to know that if he wrecks it yer gettin a new one.

natural noobi; I'll try to get some pictures of the sand pitts i rde in tomorow.

KY Woods Rider
04-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Also, I don't know about other people, but if I'm riding with someone else and they make it up a hill successfully, it gives me all the confidence in the world, because I figure if someone else can make it so can I.

Yuppers...... And when I go up one that Im not TOTALLY sure abut,Troy rides up behind me in case I cant make it and he hold me in place and helps me back my quad around ......:)

speedy400
04-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Lean forward and pin it! If you start loosing trackion, lean back a bit.-darren

Sportrax10
04-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Get lots of momentum and dont slow down for anything, if your not gonna make it or slow down then jump off the quad holding all the brakes and hold the handlebars untill a friend gets there to help you. Never do it without a friend nearby!!!

(Also be prepared to watch your quad roll down a hill) *sigh*

TheFontMaster
04-17-2004, 03:23 PM
Hears the link to the pictures of the pitt i ride in. Naturalnoobie the first 2 pics are hills 40-50 feet tall, probably pritty similar to what you ride. Those hills can be climbed in 2nd, but 3rd gear feels better to me. Jus because im not goin as slow.

www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102307

Plante400
05-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Well if im good at anything its hills.. the pit i ride in jsut got shut down tho:(
anyways, there is no leaning secrete..
sit yer *** right done on that seat.. if it is a gradual incline start in 3rd gear, but if its a steep one start in second, if u hit the base of a hill in 3rd u lose so much momentam and u will never make it, believe me haha
and another good tip is, the second u think u arent goign to make it cut the wheel liek u are riding a burm and ride down the hill safely, dont wait till yer tires dig in and u roll down backwards believe me on that one too
Happy climbing

KASCHAK
05-11-2004, 08:52 PM
hahaha

dont show off to much... the hill doens't give you a second change if you start to f|_|ck up. haha

redrunner
05-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Well I was trying to learn a few good tips and right here I see a few. This weekend out in some gravel pits in Pulaski P.A. we were hitting up some 50 - 60 ft. climbs in a gravel pit. I was so focused on making it up I powered right off the top lip inot a 20ft air out wheelie. i never got the front end down, landed on the right back wheel slid off and got my leg sucked under the wheel. ( yup ,no nerfs) man these crutches suck! I like the turn out of the climb thing, man does that make sense.;)

LTandRaptorider
05-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Yep, very important to know what's beyond the hill-climb! One time riding at a strip mine, I watched a guy climb a hill. So up I flew on my LT, common sense kicked in as I neared the top and realized I had no idea what was up there. I hit the brakes as I came over the top, turned out NOTHING was up there! It was a 60 foot drop to a ravine. Luckily I slowed enough that I only went slightly airborn... but couldn't get it stopped before I stuck it at the bottom. I pictured people holding up score cards as I did a perfect flip over the bars... but I think I lost points for the landing...:o :devil:

How's your leg, redrunner?

redrunner
05-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Well I am down to one crutch, swelling is down considerably, i can put weight on it but can't bend it past about 45 degrees. So it was the perfect time to order upgrades and wait for them. i figure a couple of weeks before i ride again. Check out ohiomafiariders.com Pulaski video, i'm in red.

LTandRaptorider
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by redrunner
Well I am down to one crutch, swelling is down considerably, i can put weight on it but can't bend it past about 45 degrees. So it was the perfect time to order upgrades and wait for them. i figure a couple of weeks before i ride again. Check out ohiomafiariders.com Pulaski video, i'm in red. I broke my

Glad to hear you're doing better. Take it easy, let it heal right. I broke my leg in much the same way... landed a jump wrong, my leg went back under the axle. The break in my leg was with the length of the bone from my foot being turned around the wrong way! I used crutches for about 2 weeks, then ditched them and hobbled around on the cast. I'm not a very patient person... :rolleyes: May have something to do with me still having trouble with the leg...:p We'll have to hook up to ride this summer! ;)

Natertot426ex
05-19-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
What if you WANT to do wheelies up hills????:blah: :macho :D ;)

Hey is that the hill at Clay Peaks? If it is it sure looks steep from that angle :eek: