PDA

View Full Version : Whats this noise?

chucked
04-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Ok im starting a new thread because I have found some things out and they are different.

I have a ticking, it sounds like its coming from the top end, the valve clearances are not the problem. It also goes away at low idle. I dont know what else to do, everything seems to be snug.

HFMex1
04-11-2004, 05:33 PM
My 400 has the same noise goin on.
I called my dealer and they said it is just the decompression device on the stock cam.
He said it would go away with any after-market cam such as a Hot Cam.
So I'm guessin its cool.:D

04-11-2004, 05:40 PM
why dont you post a movie? its hard to explain "a noise" by typing to someone what it sounds like :(

chucked
04-11-2004, 05:47 PM
i know I need to record it or something buy I have no device that can do that.

04-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by chucked
i know I need to record it or something buy I have no device that can do that. :( bummer .... it is still hard to see what it is even fro ma video...u really need to be there to see it & hear it up close

chucked
04-11-2004, 06:32 PM
I know, even if I did the sound card on this thing is crap and you still, wouldnt be able to tell.

kruzofman
04-12-2004, 10:18 AM
my 400 is not even a week old and it makes the same ticking sound, so im pretty sure it's just normal witht a 4 stoke to tick a little but the 400 seems to tick more then usaul

Knips178
04-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Do you have a hard time starting it up?

chucked
04-12-2004, 01:13 PM
It starts up great, it is not normal is just started a few weeks ago.

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 01:20 PM
have you checked your timing chain tensoner yet

Knips178
04-12-2004, 01:22 PM
it could be your cam chain is stretched and it is hitting the autotensioner. Take the valve cover off and see if there is any slop in the cam chain.

Or you can take screw driver and put the handle about two inches away from your ear and touch the other end to the motor while it is running. Move the end around and touch in different spots on the motor, you'll notice the noise will be louder in one spot and let us know exactly where that is. the screw driver helps you pin point the sound. It sounds dumb but it really helps.

chucked
04-12-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
have you checked your timing chain tensoner yet

yea its pretty snug, but im not really sure what to check for. Im getting motor work done next week so Ill just have it checked out then.

chucked
04-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Knips178
it could be your cam chain is stretched and it is hitting the autotensioner. Take the valve cover off and see if there is any slop in the cam chain.

Or you can take screw driver and put the handle about two inches away from your ear and touch the other end to the motor while it is running. Move the end around and touch in different spots on the motor, you'll notice the noise will be louder in one spot and let us know exactly where that is. the screw driver helps you pin point the sound. It sounds dumb but it really helps.

ive tried that, i think its coming towards the top of the cam chain, thats why Im thinking its the auto decomp unit.

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 01:24 PM
you'll know if you pull the valve cover off and you can rock the can back and forth effortlessly like there's slop in the chain

chucked
04-12-2004, 01:25 PM
you'll know if you pull the valve cover off and you can rock the can back and forth effortlessly like there's slop in the chain

then its fine, I also forgot to mension I did a leak down test last night and one of the exhaust valves is leaking, it may be bent,

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 01:32 PM
speaking of, have you taken your headers off recently and not replaced your crush gasket cause if not that will cause a noticable ticking and sometimes there so small that you can't feel them but they make a noise louder than crap that will sound like a ticking coming from the top of the motor

chucked
04-12-2004, 01:38 PM
speaking of, have you taken your headers off recently and not replaced your crush gasket cause if not that will cause a noticable ticking and sometimes there so small that you can't feel them but they make a noise louder than crap that will sound like a ticking coming from the top of the motor

I did replace them when I put my new exhaust on but one of them came loose a few weeks ago and it was leaking, but I did tighten it up... hmm

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 01:44 PM
i would replace it, they don't cost very much i had one that did that and i tightend that mofo until the studs were bout ready to break and the noise still didn't got away until after i replaced the seal

chucked
04-12-2004, 01:50 PM
I will see if its still there after I get the engine work done, I imagine we will find it though, gettin bored over 1 size with a high comp piston, port and polish, serti valve job with larger valves, stage 2 hot cam, and a few other things to make all this work real nice

04'400ex'er
04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
kruzofman, if your 400ex is that new and is clicking, it is not normal. you need to have your valve clearance checked and adjust your tappetts.

04'400ex'er
04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Chucked, how do you like your big gun. is it loud? lot'o'power?

chucked
04-12-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
Chucked, how do you like your big gun. is it loud? lot'o'power?

its probably one of the loudest around, I love the sound but sometimes its annoying, it did give me a little noticable power but Ill get to see how it really works in about 2 weeks

chucked
05-20-2004, 02:31 PM
update!!! Turned out it was the cam chain tensioner, IT just lost its spring pressure, Got a new one on there it sounds great!!

UglyMotha™
05-20-2004, 03:02 PM
just as i had suspected ;)

wild400ex
05-20-2004, 09:02 PM
I have the same problem that "chucked" had with his 400. The ticking noise went away at low idle. Now that he knows it's the cam chain tensioner, am i hurting my ex by riding it with this ticking (loose cam chain)?

UglyMotha™
05-20-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by wild400ex
I have the same problem that "chucked" had with his 400. The ticking noise went away at low idle. Now that he knows it's the cam chain tensioner, am i hurting my ex by riding it with this ticking (loose cam chain)?

well a loose chain is one that is just waiting to jump time first chance it gets and if it jumps time your valves will make your piston look like it's been thru a blender

chucked
05-21-2004, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by wild400ex

yes replace it asap

Knips178
05-21-2004, 08:39 AM
You want to see what a bad cam chain tensioner can do to your engine?

-----WARNING-----THE FOLLOWING IMAGES ARE GRAPHIC AND MAY CAUSE YOU TO FEEL ILL-------

i know it made me sick, especially after the $1300 it took to fix my motor :mad:

http://domino.newvisionnet.com/joey/atv/march%202004/p3020004.jpg

By the way that isn't trick photography, the two intake valves are pushed through the top of the piston, which in turn destroyed the head, valve train, connecting rod, crank, bearings, and more with in a second all because of a cam chain tensioner going bad and the cam chain skipping a tooth.

Get it fixed asap!