PDA

View Full Version : YFZ vs. Trx problem

dirtriderex
04-11-2004, 11:47 AM
I took my 450r out on the trails for a day and then raced some mx the next day. I also had a chance to ride a YFZ450 and the suspension was totally different. The YFZ had awsome cornering and the suspension is awsome. My 450r was bouncing me everywhere and it took about twenty kicks to start. Do you guys know why it was so dificult to start, with the HRC kit?

86atc250r
04-11-2004, 11:49 AM
With the info you've given us on your problem, my best guess is someone screwed up the HRC kit. Mine starts as easily with the HRC as it did stock - if not more easily.

4fiddyR
04-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Bouncing around huh? your suspension is totally adjustable, Tweak it.

TRX450R014
04-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Mine was the same way after putting in hrc kit and I was told to turn mixture screw 1/2 turn out and it works perfect now.If you have a short enough screwdriver you can get to it without any problem,if not just loosen the boots and turn carb on its side a bit.Hope it works!

avaloncon2
04-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Went to Rausch Creek yesterday for the first time on my week old 450. At first I was getting bounced around , I took a screwdriver out on the track with me and proceeded to hit the smaller jumps and land as hard as possible. After a while they were tuned in perfectly. I hadthe preload backed off to begin with and that made it feel much better. I didnt get too crazy because it was the first time jumpin it. By the end of the day I was lovin the feel of it in the air.

4fiddyR
04-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Avaloncon I was there two weeks ago on a Sunday, it was a good time at Rausch, was the track really hardpack for you that day? It was like concrete when I was there.

BigThumper33
04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
I took my 450r out on the trails for a day and then raced some mx the next day. I also had a chance to ride a YFZ450 and the suspension was totally different. The YFZ had awsome cornering and the suspension is awsome. My 450r was bouncing me everywhere and it took about twenty kicks to start. Do you guys know why it was so dificult to start, with the HRC kit?

I'm amazed how people hop on a new quad and expect their suspension to be set up for them...

Take some time and adjust all those little clickers you paid money for... :eek2:

dirtriderex
04-11-2004, 02:52 PM
If I'm paying $7000 + I expect the suspension to be adjusted some where in the ball park. In my opinon my 400ex shocks were more forgiving. I know bigthumper, you know how to adjust the shocks but I have know idea how to, I just don't want to screw the whole bike up. I was just amazed at how the YFZ feels, I hope i'm not sorry.

04-11-2004, 05:01 PM
i acually like the 400ex more than the 450r....handling kicks ***....450r doesn't have the the best power....and i think honda was ina hurry to make the 450r to keep up with the yfz...i'd rather have the 400ex or yfz anyday.....you want handling out of the box...and the price on the 400ex is great!

2manycrashes
04-11-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Overkillkfx400
i acually like the 400ex more than the 450r....handling kicks ***....450r doesn't have the the best power....and i think honda was ina hurry to make the 450r to keep up with the yfz...i'd rather have the 400ex or yfz anyday.....you want handling out of the box...and the price on the 400ex is great!

It's funny you say that, but I couldn't disagree more. I'm not knocking you, just that I had a 400ex and loved it. With that said, I could never go back. The power on the 450R is night and day different than the power of the 400ex. Sure, the 450R could have been tweaked a little more from the factory but it's still a sweet machine. The 450R handles as good or better than the 400ex. It's a ton more comfortable than the YFZ, and the power is basically the same. The only place I have found the YFZ to be a little faster is off the line. After that, the 450R pulls on it hard and closes the gap from 3rd to 5th.

My friend has a 400ex and we will switch back and forth at the dunes, because I'm a nice guy and I'll let him try stuff on the 450. After a few minutes, I can't wait to get back on my 450R. The dunes is where you really appreciate the power difference.

Long story short, I like the honda products and the 450R is by far the best Honda sport quad out there. As far as the 450R and YFZ are concerned, it really depends on the type of riding that you do. Both have their advantages.

Andy479
04-11-2004, 08:15 PM
If I'm paying $7000 + I expect the suspension to be adjusted some where in the ball park. In my opinon my 400ex shocks were more forgiving. I know bigthumper, you know how to adjust the shocks but I have know idea how to, I just don't want to screw the whole bike up. I was just amazed at how the YFZ feels, I hope i'm not sorry.

Look under the seat and get out the manual, it tells you what the stock shock settings are so if you get to carried away adjusting them, you can always go back the way they were and start from scratch.

jmpulse
04-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Overkillkfx400

From your post here you haven't spent much seat time on the 450R. I OWN both the 400EX, and the 450R, so I have a good feel for the both of them. I am a novist on the track, but have been riding trails for 3 years now.

The 450R is leaps and bounds above the 450R, I actaully feel unconfortable on the 400EX now. The power delevery is probally too damm smooth, making everybody think that there is no power. It sucks going back and forth from the 450R, to either the 400EX, or even the Z400, I ride around the track with the gas pegged, looking for more. The supension need some work, I am going to try the preload thing soon.

Now, could Honda done better, yes. So could Yahama too. I do actually like the kick start, and letting people see how well it starts, has changed a bunch of oppinions.

allmixedup047
04-11-2004, 08:50 PM
people have got to relize that they are not the only people in the world that honda is trying to set there bikes up for. they just guessed on there suspension set up but by makin them fully adjustable you can fix it to the way you want it. whats better than having it your way? nothing! and i agree with the power being so smooth, i was scared to race my friends on there banshees they had just bought, but putting this in a nice way, i smoked their *****es. i think the honda pulls real good off the line and i think it pulls better than the yfz, i have a dyno chart to proove it.:)

WOracing
04-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
people have got to relize that they are not the only people in the world that honda is trying to set there bikes up for. they just guessed on there suspension set up but by makin them fully adjustable you can fix it to the way you want it. whats better than having it your way? nothing! and i agree with the power being so smooth, i was scared to race my friends on there banshees they had just bought, but putting this in a nice way, i smoked their *****es. i think the honda pulls real good off the line and i think it pulls better than the yfz, i have a dyno chart to proove it.:)

you think you smoked a banshee? I highly doubt it, but then again i have never riden a stock banshee, or raced one with my 450r. i only have raced a tricked out banshee, and needless to say.....it smoked me. BTW can i see the dynos...thanx

IM: WOracing19

avaloncon2
04-12-2004, 06:28 PM
4FIDDY, it was really hardand the dust was out of control. I felt like I was holding my breath under water all day, my chest was killin me. We are goin up this weekend too,Let me know if you are gonna go.

avaloncon2
04-12-2004, 06:33 PM
Dirt rider, all it takes is a little time and effort to adjust the shocks. Read the manual one day when you are on the ****ter. With the manual and all the knowledge on this site you should have no problems. Its worth it, I tweaked mine and they are much better than my triple rates Works I had on my 400. Good Luck

markeg192
04-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I'd try spending more time learning about my Quad and less time complaining on the net.

RedEx XCRider
04-12-2004, 06:46 PM

Have you check'd to make sure the Battiry is charged :D

sparky450AR
04-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by WOracing
you think you smoked a banshee? I highly doubt it, but then again i have never riden a stock banshee, or raced one with my 450r. i only have raced a tricked out banshee, and needless to say.....it smoked me. BTW can i see the dynos...thanx

IM: WOracing19

I raced a banshee that had 2 in one carbs toomey's and holeshots, my 450R stock...and in about 150-170 feet, i was already no joke one bike length ahead. So i believe that in a longer race a 450R could smoke a stock banshee.

dirtriderex
04-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Markeg, don't be a smart A**, That is why I came and told you guys, to hear your opinions

lukester720
04-12-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
I raced a banshee that had 2 in one carbs toomey's and holeshots, my 450R stock...and in about 150-170 feet, i was already no joke one bike length ahead. So i believe that in a longer race a 450R could smoke a stock banshee.

I raced 2 banshees last week one had fmf pipes and a lot of headwork and dynoed out at 62 hp the rider weighed 240. The other banshee also had aftermarket pipe a cool head and who knows what else. I weigh 270 and have the stuff in my sig. We raced 6 or 7 times on a 300 ft track that had been recently disked but already had hard pack contact patches down the center. The only times they beat me was when I missed 3rd gear which happened twice (not used to wearing riding boots lol) I would try to pull it into 3rd like 3 times before they would pass me. Don't forget that the banshees weigh like 80 pounds more than the 450r.

Woody_YFZ
04-13-2004, 06:19 AM
My TRX stock shock settings sucked. I adjusted them and they are now way better, but my YFZ has more suspsension adjustment and I still think that the YFZ has better suspension for an aggressive rider. The biggest place I notice is on whoops.

markeg192
04-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Markeg, don't be a smart A**, That is why I came and told you guys, to hear your opinions

Well then I'd ask for opinions . There's alot of guys on here that would be happy to help you out. I just think the "VS" threads are played out.

allmixedup047
04-14-2004, 08:32 PM
yeah within litteraly 40 ft i was a bike length ahead of this banshee and then continued to pull hard. the banshee was stock but i still think think beatin a banshee is something to be proud of.

Manny55
04-16-2004, 07:53 AM
When i race my 450r and banshee the 450 stays like a half a quad ahead of it tell 4th gear and then the banshees top end just destroys the 450r.

WOracing
04-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
I raced 2 banshees last week one had fmf pipes and a lot of headwork and dynoed out at 62 hp the rider weighed 240. The other banshee also had aftermarket pipe a cool head and who knows what else. I weigh 270 and have the stuff in my sig. We raced 6 or 7 times on a 300 ft track that had been recently disked but already had hard pack contact patches down the center. The only times they beat me was when I missed 3rd gear which happened twice (not used to wearing riding boots lol) I would try to pull it into 3rd like 3 times before they would pass me. Don't forget that the banshees weigh like 80 pounds more than the 450r.

not used to wearing riding boots ehh....lol, join the club. Except i had the same problem as you, but after two rides i got used to it

lukester720
04-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Yea, I've started to get used to them now. The 1st day I rode with them I kept hitting the brake on accident. Also I couldn't tell if my feet were centered on the pegs, which can make for a ruff landing.

WOracing
04-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by lukester720
Yea, I've started to get used to them now. The 1st day I rode with them I kept hitting the brake on accident. Also I couldn't tell if my feet were centered on the pegs, which can make for a ruff landing.

lol this has also happened with me...i cannot tell where my feet are placed most of the time...i will think they are off center but then i look down and they are...so i just have to get used to not feeling anything while i ride any more.