PDA

View Full Version : 450R owners read this post!

TRX450R014
04-11-2004, 09:07 AM
I am posting this info for anyone that does a lot of high speed trail riding.I do a
lot of trail riding and drag racing so I put a 36 tooth rear sprocket on my 450R and
I am sooo impressed.As for loss of bottom end,no problem.Actually I can get the holeshot better now because it won't
wheelie as bad.Now that is not to say I can't wheelie,I can still bring it up in 3rd
with ease,4th needs a little assistance by me.I have read many posts about the 13 tooth front sprocket which is great for tight technical trails and mxing.If your biggest concern is beating banshees you
will love this setup.(this thing flies now).I
have the HMF BB sig series pipe on order
because it makes great torque low and mid which will equal everything out (the
hrc kit takes some away).By the way the
rear sprocket on 400ex is the same as 450R just different tooth count and have the same part #s so finding one is easy.The front is the same as CRF450.Ijust thought I would let ya'll
know about how this worked out for me because I know there is a lot guessing and assuming that goes on.
My biggest concern when I was considering this was that with the already tall first gear it would make it a
lot worse but now I wouldn't go bacfor all the tea in china.Hope this helps someone,have fun!

kazpr
04-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up and PLEASE post a pic of the BB pipe installed on your bike for us :)

tkwarrior
04-11-2004, 09:36 AM
I always get this mixed up. Smaller in the front is better low end/less top end. Smaller in the rear is less low end/more top end?

Right?

04-11-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by tkwarrior
I always get this mixed up. Smaller in the front is better low end/less top end. Smaller in the rear is less low end/more top end?

Right?

Right

TRX450R014
04-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I don't have a digital camera but I may be able to borrow one.If I can i will post a pic.By the way,I talked to a guy named joe at HMF and he said the 450R loses about 4hp and 5or6 ft/lbs on the bottom
end with hrc kit but the good news is it gains 6hp and 7or8 ft/lbs on top.The pipe will ad 4hp low,4hp mid,2hp top and 7,7,9,ft/lbs which should really help equal things out.Also if anyone else decides to do this keep in mind you can not short shift through the gears like a 400ex.It likes to be revved out,It took me a little
bit to get used to doing that but the power is up higher in the rpms now.(with
hrc kit).One last thing,when I first out the hrc kit in it had a little stumble down low
but was told to turn mixture screw out 1/2 turn and it solved the problem.