PDA

View Full Version : burgard a-arms and elka shocks (quick review)

JDiablo
04-10-2004, 09:46 PM
ok....going to do this for all the 300ex owner who are looking for a nice setup....but under the 1500 dollar range.

Well,when i first got my burgard 2+1 i hurried up and unwrapped them....i was dissapointed because it took me so long to unwrap it....lol no biggie but another thing was i didn't get stickers:( ...but who cares now i got myself some nice a-arms..Upon inspection they were very well built,the welds were nice and neat,and the lower shock mount was big and beefy....good a-arm for 425 dollars.
So installation time now....took the old a-arms off no problem got the burgards out,and put them in...ahh took me some elbow grease to get them in there(i think because of my powdercoated frame was so think,it was a very tight fit)but otherwise everything went smoothly...so after i got them installed..i took some pix and tightened(sp?) everything up and boy i feel in love with that color,nickel(thanks pappy for now pc'ing them black like i origanlly wanted to)man that thing shines like a mirror.Now for the elka shocks.
When i first got them they seemed like the best thing i ever spent money on...lol.They came very well packaged,came with a owners manual,two tools for adjusting the shocks and a lil magazine to read while your taking a break from working on your quad or soemthing.So i go to my garage.....put them on(remind you,they are dual rate,comp adj,with ssd and remote rezzy)they fit good...had to loosen up a bolt on the a-arms where it connects to the spindle to get the shock to fit in but no biggie...and from now on get piggyback rezzys...makes life alot easier.
Streamline brakelines now...just put them on,on thursday.Very easy to install,easier then the stock 300ex system..all you will need are a couple of zip ties...just remove the old brake lines...and all you have to save are the two banjo bolts from the two brake calipers and the one banjo bolt from the master cylinder,the other one or two you don't need...just reroute then brake lines hook them up,zip tie them down,and bleed them...took me about a hour to install and bleed...so i go to squezze the brake lever and i was like WOW what a diffrence they are definelty worht the money and much better over stock....

So the ride review....man all i can say is how the heck did i ride stock...lol you know the rest everythign performed well....the added braking power helped me out big time in the turn i could have a better grip on the handlebars and throttle now considering that i only really needed one finger to squeeze the lever....the shocks needed some adjusting but other then that wonderful...i rode my ozark for a lil bit and my butt was hurting from the stock shocks...the elkas defienly worht the money.
The burgard a-arms so much better in turning you get so much more stability while turning and you feel less afraid if you are going to tip in a tight fast turn...so overall i give the:
the whole front end setup a 9and a half out of 10 stars...hope this helps some people in choosing what setup to go for on their 300ex or any quad for that matter...and i hope you find this helpful

thomez
04-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the excellent review and write up, taking that much time to type it all out for someone shopping for a similar setup is going to be greatly apprecciated. Good work! :macho

Bill Fuller
04-10-2004, 10:59 PM
What happened to the pics?

04-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
What happened to the pics? he had a few in another section...they were really bad quality & from his cell phone..ill grab them & paste them here for you...I have to spoon feed you like a baby :blah:

04-10-2004, 11:08 PM
1. http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/300exrida99/quad/4.JPG

2.http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/300exrida99/quad/3.JPG

Greg Z
04-11-2004, 01:19 AM
how long did it take for them to ship to yhou?:confused:

Bill Fuller
04-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Looks good,thanks Jumbo.

Pappy
04-11-2004, 07:04 AM
Glad you are happy with the set up. I too have those a arms on my 300ex and love them!

400ex arms are in stock nickle plated and will take about 3 days to get

JDiablo
04-11-2004, 08:53 AM
lol,those pix are from my camcorder believe it or not,and no problem about writing it,and i would like to thank pappy for all the help he is giving me,and soon i will do a rear setup review to..lol and the elkas took a week to get,a-arms a week,and the brakelines a week and a half because the other stuff that i orderd the one thing was on backorder so i had to wait

300exOH
04-11-2004, 11:17 AM
I agree with 300exrida. The Elka/Burgard setup is awesome. I also had my rear works converted to zero preload to match the front and it made a big difference too.

JDiablo
04-11-2004, 11:19 AM
are those 400ex elkas you got on there?

300exOH
04-11-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
are those 400ex elkas you got on there?

I believe they are the same length but they are valved specifically for this setup. I am using a shockmount with the 300ex Burgard +2+1's. I had to fill out a build sheet from Elka and special order the shocks.

JDiablo
04-11-2004, 11:24 AM
OoO....gotcha how long did you get them 14.75 inches?

300exOH
04-11-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm not exactly sure how long they are. I'd have to measure them. I'm thinking they are around 15.5" or 16" long. It basically ends up being like a long travel set up. I don't have the ride height set right in the pic. It actually sits a little higher now.

JDiablo
04-11-2004, 11:49 AM
that i what i should have done....o well they still are a million times better then stock

JDiablo
04-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Glad you are happy with the set up. I too have those a arms on my 300ex and love them!

400ex arms are in stock nickle plated and will take about 3 days to get

hey pappy how does it ride with stock shocks?all i did was throw my stockers on there and jump up and down on the quad...they seemed alot softer and better a the same time...lol but i wouldnt really know,they next day i got my elkas

brian-250
04-11-2004, 12:02 PM
you better get a front bumper on that thing! if you would hit somthing,you wouldent be to happy;) theres what $800 worth of shocks on there?

JDiablo
04-11-2004, 12:03 PM
850 around...ahh thanks now i know what i forgot to ask for a price....the duncan racing bumper...thanks bro

brian-250
04-11-2004, 12:09 PM
$850 huh,well that means ill have around $950 in my front end:eek2: seein how its a custom order and all:rolleyes: i know where a stock bumper is:rolleyes: if you want it

JDiablo
04-11-2004, 12:10 PM
nah...lol im good idk i lost my stock bumper and bolts during my winter rebuild don't ask how....and imma stop this right now don't want to get banned