PDA

View Full Version : 600 CBR into a 250X frame

03-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Is it feisable to put in a Honda 600 CBR motor into a '87 250 X frame. Or will I have to pretty much build a whole new frame? Has anyone tried something like this? I think I can get a running Honda 600 CBR motor pretty cheap and have a partial of a bike laying around. Thanx.

Ben

03-13-2002, 04:48 PM
I BET ITS HARD!!!:) :D :blah :devil :huh :grr

03-13-2002, 04:53 PM
But it would be so much fun. Which kind of material is the stock frame made out of? Mild stee or Aluminum?

Chef
03-13-2002, 05:08 PM
The stock frame is steel. Is that a four cylinder? About 5 years ago there were 2 250r's in dirtwheels. a man and his wifes, just like what you are talking about. They said that those bikes only made about 60 horse though...and they weighed like 475 pounds or something...

DEAL
03-13-2002, 05:11 PM
A few years back in dirtwheels they had a couple of backyard mechanics that had successfully built a cbr600 quad , what they did was they took a 300ex , cut it in half and attached the 300ex rear and front end to the middle section of the cbr frame, It looked awesome and didn't handle too bad either , I'll try and dig out that old dirtwheels issue and scan some pics for you guys.

wyndzer
03-13-2002, 05:13 PM
I know someone that has a CBR 600 motor in a banshee frame, he had to cut it and extend the motor area. It is heavy, but for drag racing that thing hauls *****$$$$$$$!

03-13-2002, 07:59 PM
I almost did something similar with my quad. I chickened out when I researched what it would do to reliability and my cash flow. If money is no object then it won't be hard. You will have to do a real lot of frame work to keep the thing from bending in half. It will probably need to be lengthened and will definitely need to be reinforced. The rear sprocket will probably have to be changed - I'm not sure what chain sizes these two bikes use. I wouldn't jump such a beast either. Most of the suspension components will probably give out under that kind of abuse. The 600 will also add about 200-300lbs. It would definitely be awesome to see. Hope this helps.

03-13-2002, 08:04 PM
One more thing. That kind of horsepower will probably eat axle carriers/carrier bearings.

Glamis400ex
03-13-2002, 08:13 PM
Hi there folks,

I don't really have anything to offer as far as how to build that sort of quad but........

My next door neighbor has a CBR900RR motor in a LT500 frame.
He had to have the frame made taller, wider and longer, plus tons of gusseting was added, and a +8 swingarm. The thing is simply a friggin' BEAST.
He runs 25 inch, 15 paddle taller haulers and the sprocket is as big as a dinner plate. 50 something tooth, I think.

He tells me it rides pretty good thru the dunes but uses it mainly for draggin'. I don't think very many can touch him out at Glamis.

I tell you what, when he fires that Beast up to wrench on it, you know it, the whole block knows it. I think it's pretty cool tho.....

Later

Glamis