PDA

View Full Version : hotcam

quadkrazy400ex
04-10-2004, 03:08 PM
anyone have any problems with the stage 2 hot cam? i was thinking about buying one, but i wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

cals400ex
04-10-2004, 04:48 PM
for the price, that is what i would get. i have one and i don't have any complaints about it. it did my bike have an irratic idle but that is probably the case with most cams it size or larger.

Atreyu
04-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Nope, no probs yet. Deffinately a bang for the buck. :cool:

witti
04-10-2004, 07:29 PM
My friend has a stage 2 also, no problems yet. May have lost a little low end grunt, but it keeps reving and pulling. Now he put a 39mm fcr and it gave a good gain everywhere. Very nice couple of mods.

Hondaluva
04-10-2004, 09:38 PM
I have a hotcam stage two in my 440 and I am very happy with it. I also have a brand new in the box stage two hotcam that I will sell you. Send me a PM if you are interested.

J37MX
04-11-2004, 12:03 AM
I have a Hot Cam stage 2 cam and havent had any problems. Deffinately worth the money. Gave it good power and wasnt really expensive. Id recommend getting one for somebody on a low budget looking for power.

hondarider2006
04-11-2004, 03:37 AM
ok so pretty much everyone has had luck with the stage 2....I was thinking about the stage 1, how about them??

Steve-o 400EX
04-11-2004, 08:37 AM
I have a stage 2 hotcam in my 416 and have had no problems and i would highly recommend it to anyone.

I cant give you a whole lot about the stage 1 but it is less agressive than the stage 2, it is a more bottom to midrange cam where the stage 2 is mid to top. :macho

Crowdog
04-11-2004, 09:16 AM
The only thing I don't like about them is they don't have compression release so starting is a bit harder than normal. Really only an issue if your battery isn't up to snuff. Otherwise, I think it gave me a little more juice than the XR400 cam.

cals400ex
04-11-2004, 03:24 PM
i actually would recommend a stage 1. it won't rev quite as high but makes good power everywhere. the stage 1 seems to make more ticking noises than the stage 2 from what i have heard.

duncanracing400
04-11-2004, 03:35 PM
stage 1 is for mostly stock machines "like yours and mine" and stage 2 is for more biger bores like 416 and 440 and $hiT, so i would just go with stage 1 by the looks of it. good luck

cheetah
04-11-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by duncanracing400
stage 1 is for mostly stock machines "like yours and mine" and stage 2 is for more biger bores like 416 and 440 and $hiT, so i would just go with stage 1 by the looks of it. good luck

That's not necessarily true. A stage 2 works great on stock bore coupled with a high comp. piston. It really depends if you want more mid/top end or if you want more bottom/mid. Both cams are really great I never had a problem with mine and they are considerably less money.

quadkrazy400ex
04-11-2004, 09:29 PM
well i ordered a 416 10.8:1 compression ross piston kit from C&D, from the thread. i was thinking about the stage 2 but i thought i'd see what everyone else thought

QuadJunkies
04-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
for the price, that is what i would get. i have one and i don't have any complaints about it. it did my bike have an irratic idle but that is probably the case with most cams it size or larger. not to change the Sub. but,. I got my Quad Dialed in FINALLY........;) Its was the needle, it had a Dyno in it still and Honda Jets:huh went to a 175 and now it TEARS:macho

Also, as for the Cam...Ive been happy so far with mine....:)

Colby@C&DRacing
04-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Finally took my advice and checked the needle.:D

QuadJunkies
04-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Finally took my advice and checked the needle.:D LOL...Ok....you lil stinka :p ;) Yes, it was the neddle!! a matter of just having time to do it really!!and check EVERYTHING......:blah: We have been busy getting the mini torn down to ship off the motor ect...Looks like things are finally dialed in...;) I cant beleive they left the Dyno needle in when they changed out the jets.....:rolleyes: Thanks for your advice as well Cobly...;)

cals400ex
04-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
LOL...Ok....you lil stinka :p ;) Yes, it was the neddle!! a matter of just having time to do it really!!and check EVERYTHING......:blah: We have been busy getting the mini torn down to ship off the motor ect...Looks like things are finally dialed in...;) I cant beleive they left the Dyno needle in when they changed out the jets.....:rolleyes: Thanks for your advice as well Cobly...;)

so are you now running the stock B44A needle?

QuadJunkies
04-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
so are you now running the stock B44A needle? We used to run Dyno jeting and needle, but when I have my Big Bore added,they changed to Honda Jets but left in the Dyno needle, all I know was he said he put in the Honda needle....Noew ther Idle is MUCh MUCH better I think alot of it was the Needle not the pilot, Im still usuing the 42 and it sounds much better,I think eventually we will put a 170 Main in ,but for now the 175 seems to be good!!

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 01:18 PM
the taper of the dyno needle is differnt than the stocker so it's not goin to match up with oem jets, that's why you can't mismatch the two

hondarider2006
04-12-2004, 01:30 PM
when I went to Tennessee over x-mas break, I put my wb on my friends 400, and used dj MJ and the stock needle and it was fine. I am sick of the dyno needle, so I am going to stick the stock back in. Should I be fine??

QuadJunkies
04-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
the taper of the dyno needle is differnt than the stocker so it's not goin to match up with oem jets, that's why you can't mismatch the two we didnt know that that was what was going on, we didnt know the Moron left the stock needle in it and changed the jets........so now we know what to tell someone if there idle is a mess to check the needle!!!:o ;)