PDA

View Full Version : what is a "boost bottle"?

diesel-mech
04-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Can anyone tell me what a boost bottle is? whats it do? what are the advantages of having one? where do they mount? looks like in the fuel line.:confused:

UglyMotha™
04-10-2004, 10:56 AM
it's a bottle with boost in it :o

blondie69
04-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Wouldn't that be like...NOS?:confused:

diesel-mech
04-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Funny ha ha
No I think it is a fuel reservoir that keeps a constant supply of fuel to the carb. I'm guessing to prevent air in the fuel system and prevent bogging. It is supposed to "increase your thottle response,helps prevent stalls and bogging". It almost looks like an inline fuel filter. I can't seem to find any real info that gives details. I thought one of the racers on this site may know something. There are some pretty intelligent people here.

jonc623
04-10-2004, 11:15 AM
it holds no fuel it is a air chamber like on the banshees they have a metal tube between the intake boots and it replacwes that with a larger one supposed to help low end throttle responce best i can tell you honda 400ex and 25r have them too in the intake farther back by the air box

diesel-mech
04-10-2004, 11:18 AM
it holds no fuel it is a air chamber like on the banshees they have a metal tube between the intake boots and it replacwes that with a larger one supposed to help low end throttle responce best i can tell you honda 400ex and 25r have them too in the intake farther back by the air box

So it only works on certain engines?

UglyMotha™
04-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by jonc623

wow, hold up there kiddo there's not one on the 4hundy and acutally the boost bottle does hold fuel, it's an air/fuel mixture it's located after the carbs on the intake and yes it does help low end torque, i think it's just mainly there to helpe equalize the two carbs but does hold a charge of air/fuel for when you punch it i'm assuming what your refering to on the ex is the crank case vent

i think that kinda sums it up, if wilkin was around he could give you a full fledge scientific explanation

diesel-mech
04-10-2004, 11:37 AM
I've seen boost bottles advertised for 4-stroker too. So it can't be just a banshee thing(although I've seen them for shees) And if I remeber correctly the 4-strokers weren't dual carb engines. What gives there? I can see how it would help a banshee or any dual carb engine to equalize the carbs and unless it has a check valve in it than its going to hold some fuel as long as its plumbed into the intake. Every thing you are telling me makes scense. But does it only work on certain quads?

Bretmd94
04-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Boost bottles are pointless and only make any sort of difference on very lightly modded banshee's. If you look around at any people that seriously build shee's they dont have boost bottles. I only know this because my freinds have 80-90+hp banshee's for the dunes and dragging.

diesel-mech
04-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Ok then what everyone seems to agree on is that boost bottles are a waste of time and money no matter what they are installed in.:huh

WEEZIL
04-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Its like a wing on a civic. They dont do crap!

chucked
04-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by WEEZIL

you mean make it slow and stupid looking.

xr50layke
04-10-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i think that kinda sums it up, if wilkin was around he could give you a full fledge scientific explanation

lol, that guys a smart cookie

jonc623
04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
wow, hold up there kiddo there's not one on the 4hundy and acutally the boost bottle does hold fuel, it's an air/fuel mixture it's located after the carbs on the intake and yes it does help low end torque, i think it's just mainly there to helpe equalize the two carbs but does hold a charge of air/fuel for when you punch it i'm assuming what your refering to on the ex is the crank case vent

i think that kinda sums it up, if wilkin was around he could give you a full fledge scientific explanation for one thing you should check someones profile before you try to call then a kid there kid and yes a 400 ex does have a boost bottle of sorts see pic it is just in front of the air box and is mounted in the intake boot on the left side of the quad also a 88-89 250r has the same thing

AtvMxRider
04-12-2004, 05:34 PM
for one thing you should check someones profile before you try to call then a kid there kid http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/atvmxrider/argggg.gif

chucked
04-12-2004, 05:37 PM
thats not a freekin boost bottle.

NITRO1253
04-12-2004, 05:39 PM

Wings on civics do do something when they are mounted on the hood, but in the back there just pointless. you want the downforce on the front wheels

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 08:42 PM
for one thing you should check someones profile before you try to call then a kid there kid and yes a 400 ex does have a boost bottle of sorts see pic it is just in front of the air box and is mounted in the intake boot on the left side of the quad also a 88-89 250r has the same thing

well buddy :rolleyes: sorry to rattle your cage there sparky i'm sorry i assumed you were a kid normally it's only them that post replies and act like they know what there talking about........... and for the second time nooooooo that is not a boost bottle the proper term for that part that you point out is the breather tank it is nothing more than a vent for your crankcase and has noway of holding a charge of air/fuel since it's before the carb, boost bottles are located after the carb

THEbluYFZ450
04-12-2004, 08:59 PM
they load up with fuel and push it into the carb faster to give it more power, thats all if you ask me there a waste of money

F-16Guy
04-13-2004, 11:32 AM
the name of the stock part on a Banshee is a balance pipe. The "Boost Bottle" is just a balance pipe with a little more volume. I think the theory behind the balance pipe is to help keep the carbs synchronized.

Bretmd94
04-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by NITRO1253

Wings on civics do do something when they are mounted on the hood, but in the back there just pointless. you want the downforce on the front wheels

Okay, to set everyone straight. Wings do have effects on civics. Front or rear. Just becuase a car is front wheel drive doesnt mean that it doesnt need traction in the rear. Its For cornering purposes only. Look at the British Touring Car series. Theres tons of new civic hatch's and many other front wheel drive cars. They all have spoilers. It provides downforce to the rear wheels so they can corner better.

A wing on the front would be used in the same situation unless the civic was an all out drag car that actually had the power to need downforce after the car was already moving fast. But even on the drag civics out there with giant slicks in the front, running times in the 6's, I have never seen an actual spoiler on the front of them.

For everyday driving... yes they are retarded.