PDA

View Full Version : Service Honda's 400EX/CR250... I saw two of them, they are incredible....

andrew360
04-10-2004, 09:02 AM
I apologize up front, this is long-winded.....
Yesterday, my buddy (modded Raptor) and I went to Fox Valley Offroad. Around lunchtime, we're bs'ing at the tailgates, and up pulls a GMC duallie pulling an unmarked 20 foot enclosed trailer. We're thinking "nice toybox." Ten minutes later, the guy rolls what looks like two 400EX's out of the trailer, both with stock, uncut yellow Honda plastic. I'm looking at them, and I see these huge chrome fat 2 stroke pipes and radiators. Well, time to walk over and check it out. One of them was a stock 400EX frame and a-arms, and had a stock CR250 powervalve motor tucked into the frame. The swingarm (stock 400EX) had been machined to accept the narrower CR motor. This bike is thrashed from the appearance standpoint. I start talking to the guy and he tells me that this bike is Service Honda's first conversion prototype, it's two years old, and the whole point of it was to beat it to the point that the weak or failure areas are dicovered. The second bike is obviously the showpiece. CR250 powervalve motor, Lonestar 400EX frame powdercoated candy red, Roll Lobo II chrome a-arms, LSR swingarm (modified for the CR motor), huge FMF pipe, aluminum airbox, and on and on. Said this bike weighed 318 pounds wet with 50.2 dynoed HP. The guy who had them ran the ratted-out bike, and you could tell it was a SERIOUS runner. I can only imagine what the showpiece would run like. He then told us that Service Honda just sent an identical showpiece one to Dirt Wheels to evaluate. I asked what a basic conversion runs and he broke it down like this:
For $4900, Service Honda will sell you a stock 400EX frame, powdercoated and modified for the CR250 motor, which is included. You also get the carb, radiator, modified stock swingarm, throttle cable, and that's all I can remember. Actually doesn't sound too bad. I mean, if you've got a torn-up 400, you could buy this setup and swap your useable parts to the new frame and motor setup, and have a pretty custom quad for not too much more than the price of a good used one. From what I could see, the work was top-notch and looked really nice. Anyhow, I just figured I'd pass this along. My impression was that these quads are sweet.
Peace,
Andrew

ReconRider25
04-10-2004, 09:14 AM
any pics?:devil:

andrew360
04-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
any pics?:devil:

Yeah, I'm not a charter member or whatever, so I can't post em here. I have to upload them to my computer still, let me know if you want me to send you one.

04-10-2004, 09:40 AM
I've seen 1 or 2 racing in the GNCC's

04-10-2004, 09:50 AM
send them to Jumbo757@hotmail.com & ill post them ;)

andrew360
04-10-2004, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I've seen 1 or 2 racing in the GNCC's

That's what this fella said he runs in. If I may be allowed to relay a story he told me, I'll try to quote it as best I can. Remember, this is his account, not mine:

"....I'm running in the GNCC race in South (or North?) Carolina, and we come out of the woods and into a flat; Borich is in front of me on his YFZ 450, and I decide to see what this thing can do. I crack it wide open and ran on by him, and remember, his ride ain't no joke; Once we hit the woods, I pull to the side to let him pass 'cause he's a class ahead of me. After the races, we're all shootin' the sh*t and he comes up and asks me 'what the hell is that thing?' We all got a good chuckle out of that one...."

andrew360
04-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Just did a little easy homework.... you have to send them your stock swingarm for machining. Here's a link:

http://www.servicehonda.com/service.html

ReconRider25
04-10-2004, 12:02 PM
did you send those pics to jumbo? id like to see this thing.:macho

Meh!
04-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
did you send those pics to jumbo? id like to see this thing.:macho
As would I..

Oh and I run a little site of mine.. http://blainej.com Their is a image uploader their. Feel free to upload the pics there. It will say you need approved or whatever but I will do that as soon as I notice it..:)

andrew360
04-10-2004, 01:55 PM
I will try to have them sent to Jumbo by tonight.... I have the Olympus D550 Digital, and the camera is great, but that damn CamMedia software leaves a lot to be desired. Just be patient w/ me fellas!

MOFO
04-10-2004, 02:23 PM
I agree with the software .... I had the camedia software...lasted about a week before I went to Best Buy and bought a memory card reader... works MUCH better! I recommend you look into that... :cool:

andrew360
04-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I agree with the software .... I had the camedia software...lasted about a week before I went to Best Buy and bought a memory card reader... works MUCH better! I recommend you look into that... :cool:

The WORST part about the cammedia software is it could be SO much better than it is.... the potential is there, it's almost like the software engineers got into the 11th hour and said "piss on it, good enough." I'll check into that card reader. I keep plugging the camera in and trying to get the pics off of it, but it keeps saying "no camera found." I think I'll head up to my brothers' and see if he has anything to help (he's a techno-geek :D )

jst
04-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Where is the pics of the bling bling?

CowsBitePeople
04-10-2004, 08:41 PM
I believe i saw a pic of one once looked cool but i want to see urs:macho

southbeach14
04-10-2004, 08:44 PM
do they give you a mouth piece for the vibration??? you would think that would vibrate like crazy.

JDiablo
04-10-2004, 08:49 PM
c'mon i wanan see the pix,all i seen was the ones on the honda site...lol i have absoulety no patience

LazeR
04-11-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by andrew360
The WORST part about the cammedia software is it could be SO much better than it is.... the potential is there, it's almost like the software engineers got into the 11th hour and said "piss on it, good enough." I'll check into that card reader. I keep plugging the camera in and trying to get the pics off of it, but it keeps saying "no camera found." I think I'll head up to my brothers' and see if he has anything to help (he's a techno-geek :D )

You can have your camera connect to your pc and it will make another hard drive if you will in my computer....Just plug it into your usb port with the provided cord...Leave it off then press the button as if you wanted to look at your pictures....Then a menu should come up

PC
Print
Exit

make sure pc is highlighted and just press ok..... I have a D-560 zoom i am guessing its the same way with yours!

andrew360
04-11-2004, 05:42 AM
Okay guys, sorry to be such a buster about the pics... no luck at all, tried everything. I even uninstalled the software and tried to reinstall it - no dice.
I will try to get this issue fixed, as there is ZERO point to having the digital camera if I can't upload the pics. On the plus side, I do remember the fella saying that he posts on this board and others from time to time. His username is either 1fastprotottype ot onefastprototype. Sorry again guys - when you drive by to throw tomatoes at the house, please don't aim for the windows.....:huh

Pappy
04-11-2004, 06:03 AM
I saw the gncc set up "400/R " at steele creek. I dunno if id say he smoked Borich in a straight tho;)

400exmom
04-11-2004, 06:07 AM
nice pic jeff! wheres yer dayum goggles!:D

rollie
04-11-2004, 07:10 AM
can you race those in pro prodution? are they pre-mix basiclly its a cr250 engine in a 400ex guessuted frame?:confused:

andrew360
04-11-2004, 07:10 AM
Pappy, thanks for getting that up there! That's the one all right, got them big ***** Gibson Pro-Pegs on it and that candy-red frame. I really dig the subtle graphics too... "Service Honda TRX250R"

Carl Nevins
04-11-2004, 01:25 PM
the bike is pretty neet i have seen it at some Dist.17 races in il i thought he told me he was going to Lorretta lynns but not positive, so if you haven't seen it look for it.