PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm piviot bolt

SnowFlake
04-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Well as some of you heard my swing arm pivot bolt is threaded on both sides. Well i went to go tighten them up and in the manual it says 80ft lbs so i did on both sides and i realized that i have no rear suspension. I canpush down and the bike will not come back up. Did i thighten the nuts to much? And can I weld a nut to one side so its like a normal bolt?

-Snowflake

Bill Fuller
04-10-2004, 09:04 AM
This is a new one to me,I have never seen one that is threaded on both sides.Is this the stock pivot bolt?I would say that it is over tightened but since I have never seen one I wouldn't take my word for it.Is this for a 400EX?

SnowFlake
04-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Yes it is a 99 400ex and ill take out the bolt and take pics so you can try to understand what im talking about.

-Snowflake

Bill Fuller
04-10-2004, 09:17 AM
I understand what you are talking about I have just never seen one like that.Is it an aftermarket bolt?If so I would red loctight one side ad snug it down and put the recommended tourqe on the gear shifter side.Hopefully someone else will post who has experience with one like you have.

SnowFlake
04-10-2004, 09:26 AM
i have no clue if it after market. I will try what you said.

-snowflake

Bill Fuller
04-10-2004, 12:47 PM
Now would be a good time to lube the pivot bolt as well.........providing you can get it out.

SnowFlake
04-10-2004, 01:23 PM
well i figured i would loosen on side a bit so the swingarm can move freely. And i would have the other troqued down to spec. On the side i would loosen i figured i can drill a hole through the bolt and the nut so i could put some kind of pin so it would not move caus thats how i lost my last nut. Sound like a good idea?

-snowflake

KY Woods Rider
04-10-2004, 03:48 PM
If that swingarm pivot bolt is stock, I've never seen one like it before. So, here's my suggestion. Go to www.servicehonda.com and order a stock swingram pivot bolt and nut. If my memory serves me correctly, the pivot bolt is about $20-25 and the nut is $3-4.

PhilMoore
04-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Did you buy the quad used?
Have you ever had the swingarm off?

I have never had a machine with a setup like you describe, and I have had a few...

hondafreestyler
04-10-2004, 09:58 PM
I also have not seen one like this ...

But ... my guess ... IF you bought the quad used ... would be this

Some one took off swingarm ... and when the tapped out the pivot bolt with a tap that messed up the treads ... they were cheap and didn't want to spend money on a honda one ... they went to a hardware store and bought the same size bolt for 2$.

If I were you ... I'd get one from honda ...

SnowFlake
04-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Yeah i gues ill do that. Or ill try to find one in RMATV cause im already ordering stuff from there.

-snowflake

KandK952
04-12-2004, 04:42 PM
I know what you are talking about... it's aftermarket and probably titanium? My friend has one of those. Anyway, have you tried taking it out and greasing it? If that isnt it chances are you may have it overtightened... try tightening it good but dont crank on it quite as much. I wouldn't recomment putting a pin in one side cause if you tighten it with the pin off it will be hard to line up the holes and with the pin on you might bend or break the pin.

SnowFlake
04-12-2004, 07:19 PM
well thanks for the help. i Just went to service honda and ordered a stock one. so i will not run into any more problems but it cost $28.

-snowflake

Juggalo
04-12-2004, 08:10 PM
i got a billet stainless steel bolt from woodward specialties. its one of the nicest pieces i've ever seen. my dad is a machinist and he was even impressed with the work on this thing. i don't think i'll ever have any problems with this one. after the nightmare of getting my stock one out (we eventually had to use the cutting torch) it'll be nice to not have to worry.

SnowFlake
04-12-2004, 08:40 PM
Why did you have problems taking the stock one out?

Atreyu
04-12-2004, 08:49 PM
They rust heavily and are a b!tch to get out. I have a cascade pivot bolt and it is not threaded on both sides.

KY Woods Rider
04-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by SnowFlake
Why did you have problems taking the stock one out?

The stock bolt is barely even greased when it's originally installed, so it's very vulnerable to water, and on top of that, it gets a lot of heat from the motor which thins out what little grease it does have. Most people aren't willing to go to the trouble of pulling the swingarm bolt and lubing it when they buy a quad, so they just keep riding it until they have to take it out for some reason, and by that time it's rusted firmly in place.

SnowFlake
04-13-2004, 07:59 AM
O i see now. Well thanks for the help everybody.

-snowflake

mxracer111
01-26-2005, 02:06 PM
the one you have... that is threaded on both ends is most likely a baldwin motorsports stainless steel bolt. they are the only ones that make one with threads and locknuts on both ends to my knowledge.

woodwards offers a machined solid stainless steel one that will not rust, bend or break like the stock bolt will over time. it has a machined head on one end, and comes with an OEM locknut on the other.