PDA

View Full Version : Can stock EX/R rims be polished?

sparky450AR
04-09-2004, 10:27 PM
I know they have some kind of coating on them, i tried getting it off with mineral spirits but it didnt work. I would actually like to keep these rims they are light, they look like the douglas clover rims. But i want them polished! Anyone know what i can do?

thanks!

SRH
04-09-2004, 10:30 PM
i wouldnt mess with it, im sure it can be done but why? polishing weakens stuff, the stock 400ex rims are as strong as you will get besides beadlocks, and they still bend, so why mess with them? keep in mine 1 new stock rim is $134.95:eek2:

forgot to mention, the only wheels id run over stock is a good bealock, the douglas 190s and all them are terrible, they will fold and bend like nothing they say mx racing but its more like trail riding wheels

sparky450AR
04-09-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by SRH
i wouldnt mess with it, im sure it can be done but why? polishing weakens stuff, the stock 400ex rims are as strong as you will get besides beadlocks, and they still bend, so why mess with them? keep in mine 1 new stock rim is $134.95:eek2:

forgot to mention, the only wheels id run over stock is a good bealock, the douglas 190s and all them are terrible, they will fold and bend like nothing they say mx racing but its more like trail riding wheels

Yeah your right and i understand what your saying. But i have the bling disease and i want my quad to be clean and shiny. Plus i have around 8 stock replacement wheels i can put on if one bends!

So, does anyone know what i can do?

toby400ex
04-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Yes you can polish them. You have to take sand paper to them to get the coating off. For some reason i painted my rims and some of the paint wouldnt come off so i took a wire wheel to it, that scratched it all up but i polished it up with sand paper and steel wool. I got it back to the look of the stock shine, but they can be dont just like any other wheel.

sparky450AR
04-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Yes you can polish them. You have to take sand paper to them to get the coating off. For some reason i painted my rims and some of the paint wouldnt come off so i took a wire wheel to it, that scratched it all up but i polished it up with sand paper and steel wool. I got it back to the look of the stock shine, but they can be dont just like any other wheel.

Thanks!, what grit?

hash1250r
04-09-2004, 11:12 PM
Use oven cleaner to get the clearcoat off. Spray the rims and put them in a sealed box so it can bake on.Then all you have to do is steelwool and polish them.