PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a clutch anyways..?

Chanman420q
04-09-2004, 09:57 PM
ive been going threw some other forums lately and ive notice a quite of bit of talk of people not using the clutch when they shift, they claim it slows them down to much:huh
isnt this like bad for the engine? what do u do, u clutch, then shift or just shift cuz u dont have the time to squeez ur hand

Honda4trax250x
04-09-2004, 09:59 PM
from my understanding, its not too bad to do once in a while, like in a drag race, but all the time def. isnt good for it

ZRider400
04-09-2004, 10:01 PM
ive always used the clutch..........this is interesting:eek2:

MotoX3
04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Lots of people do it all the time,but most just racing,I do it,I can shift alot faster without the clutch too

sparky450AR
04-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Downshifting without the clutch is bad, upshifting with the gas released is not hard on it from my understanding.

04-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by sparky450AR
Downshifting without the clutch is bad, upshifting with the gas released is not hard on it from my understanding. some jack *** tried to tell me that yu can downshift without the clutch...i really cant possibly believe that BS...

SRH
04-09-2004, 10:38 PM
there is no need for it up shiifting , quad tranny are synchronized,the only time you should use it is if the tranny is under big load and wont shift without it, the clutch is necessary for downshifting but i naturally use it when down shifting a bunch of gears anyway, you can tell when its ok not to use the clutch and when it is but its not necessary, inexpieienced guys with not much time around quads and bikes get confused and say its mandatory, but its not

ever notice how easy the yfz, and mx bike motors click into gear when your ripping throught the gears :eek2:

sparky450AR
04-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
some jack *** tried to tell me that yu can downshift without the clutch...i really cant possibly believe that BS...

Yeah dont do that, has anyone noticed how hard it clicks down when you downshift without the clutch. Its not good for it!

SRH
04-09-2004, 10:42 PM
some jack *** tried to tell me that yu can downshift without the clutch...i really cant possibly believe that BS...

you can, its just not good to do when your going from 5 to 1 real fast etc, i dont use it when i downshift 1 or 2 gears, i had my ex for 5 years and tranny was like new and i know other guys who have had them go

but yeah ill click down a few gears without the clutch its no biggy, the best thing to do to make you tranny last is always change th e oil and use good oil, another thing is after awhile you get to know your machine and what puts stress on it

chucked
04-10-2004, 11:16 AM
i only use the clutch when starting out, sometimes from 1st to second (cuz i hit neutral too much) and down shifting.

Atreyu
04-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Does using it really slow you down that much?? If it's there, why not use it?:confused: :bandit:

Cody_300ex
04-10-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Atreyu
Does using it really slow you down that much?? If it's there, why not use it?:confused: :bandit:

really

UglyMotha™
04-10-2004, 11:46 AM

I upshift and DOWNSHIFT pretty much all of the time without clutching it really doesn't do any damage look for the thread in the powertrain forum about this, there was a couple guys that summed it up real good as to why its not harmful to shift without the clutch, only time i use the clutch is to get the bike goin or i'm cruising and somtimes use it to power outta a corner but if im racing or getting it i'm not clutching you just have to get a good feel for the bike you have to know how to match your rpms when your bangin the gears and once you get that down it's virtually harmless

86atc250r
04-10-2004, 12:32 PM
By using the clutch all you're doing is unloading the transmission.

A rider with very little experience at all will generally learn very quickly how to unload the transmission with the throttle - thus getting the same result (being able to shift easily without any harm to the transmission).

Most experienced riders only use the cluch when they have to - to start out, to shift under power, under heavy braking, and in technical situations...

Chanman420q
04-10-2004, 01:18 PM
ive always used the clutch no matter what, and i dont see how it slows u down... if u can ride good u should beable to shift w/ the clutch without losing momentum. Its such a habbit for me even after reading it wont hurt it, im still gunna use it, but atleast i know now it cant hurt it much

chucked
04-10-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu

it takes more time to shift with the clutch then without it. thats all. let off gas, pull in clutch, shift, let out clutch, give on gas > let off gas, shift, give on gas

hondafox440
04-10-2004, 05:14 PM
I'm with Ugly. I never use the clutch when upshifting, and only use it to downshift when I'm playing around or casual trail riding, or going from 5th pinned to dead stop in a very short space (also have the brakes locked up, lol).

Pappy
04-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

A rider with very little experience at all will generally learn very quickly how to unload the transmission with the throttle - thus getting the same result (being able to shift easily without any harm to the transmission).

Most experienced riders only use the cluch when they have to - to start out, to shift under power, under heavy braking, and in technical situations...

listen to him;) good stuff:D

sweet300ex
04-10-2004, 05:38 PM
I always use the clutch, I think its funner:macho

xr50layke
04-10-2004, 06:17 PM
riding my friends xr80 and xr100 i always use the clutch, just because of instinct. ill try going easy and not using it to see if its easier to shift. but really, how much does it slow you down in the first place? like less than a second. i dont like putting wear on the clutch, so i guess if im gonna shift, i wont use a clutch anymore.

Chanman420q
04-10-2004, 08:17 PM
the way i look at it is the time u spend not pulling in ur clutch ull spend replacing ur clutch

86atc250r
04-10-2004, 08:22 PM
The way you're looking at it is wrong.

In fact, if you want to know the truth, you put more wear on your clutch using it to shift every time than if you don't - although the amount of wear is negligible unless you're abusing the clutch between shifts.

04-10-2004, 08:32 PM

In fact, if you want to know the truth, you put more wear on your clutch using it to shift every time than if you don't - although the amount of wear is negligible unless you're abusing the clutch between shifts. that makes sense ;)

chucked
04-10-2004, 08:33 PM

In fact, if you want to know the truth, you put more wear on your clutch using it to shift every time than if you don't - although the amount of wear is negligible unless you're abusing the clutch between shifts.

EXACTLY, because your clutch stays engaged the whole time and never slips so it doesnt wear. and who cares anyway clutches are cheap and easy to replace.

southbeach14
04-10-2004, 08:34 PM
the pro don't clutch because they get them replaced for free, at least some of them do

CowsBitePeople
04-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I always use the clutch its a habbit:o I dont feel it slows me down:confused:

ReconRider25
04-10-2004, 09:59 PM
im with chanman on this topic. not using the clutch may not do too much to your clutch plates and basket, but itll screw your transmission. and dont think i dont know what thats like. repair bill was over $1300....but that was auto clutch...

SGA
04-10-2004, 11:40 PM

Well said, I agree 100%.
The key is what you said above: learning to unload the transmission with the throttle It becomes second nature after awhile.
If you force the gears, yes you will damage them. If you powershift right, it clicks into gear effortlessly.

TCracin440ex
04-11-2004, 12:06 AM
i use the clutch cuz its just second nature to me....like if i go from my 400ex to an auto clutch quad...im naturally grabbing the handbrake and shifting like its a clutch....but when im just cruising arround on my 400ex i dont use the clutch...it shifts just as smooth with out using the clutch...

clutches are more prone to failure due to user...not the bike...

taking off is where people hurt the clutch the most.....my friend he has a 400ex and he has gone thru 1 stock clutch and working on his 2nd set of barnett clutches due to the fact that he tacks his bike up pretty high then sloooooooooowlly lets the clutch out (clutch slippage)....then when he shifts he never lets off the gas...he just pulls the clutch in, holds the throttle where ever position it was when he pulled the clutch in, and shifts...thats hard on clutches too...taking off is the hardest part on a clutch imo...and where they get the most wear

my friend is on his 2nd set of clutches and they aint got much left on them...im still on my stock set from when i bought my bike in 02...

SGA
04-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i use the clutch cuz its just second nature to me....like if i go from my 400ex to an auto clutch quad...im naturally grabbing the handbrake and shifting like its a clutch.... We were out riding down a dirt road, and switched quads. I got off the 400ex and got on a semiauto quad. No clutch lever, a brake lever in its place, but you have to shift with your foot. Well, I take off hard going through the gears, and this thing speeds up, then slows REAL quick when I changing gears. Im like WTF? After 50 yards or so, it dawned on me, im pulling in the brake lever, not the clutch, this is a auto! DOH! :D

TCracin440ex
04-11-2004, 12:27 AM
i have owned auto clutched quads before and i hated it....ive got to have my clutch....its like the left hand gets lonely cuz it has no purpose on a utility or a quad like a 250ex...only thing 1 of them quads is good for is if u got a broke shifter foot and u need to use the hand for shifting....i did that for a while...broke my left leg...and couldnt shift with my foot..cast was too big to get under the lever....so i just reached down and shifted with my hand....threw a trashbag over my leg when i went riddin to keep mud and debris out...and i was tearin the trails up on the honda recon with a broke leg lol

TCracin440ex
04-11-2004, 12:28 AM
now if that aint a devoted rider....i dont know what is

Chanman420q
04-11-2004, 01:35 AM
is overall is it better to use the clutch or not??:confused:

im getting mixed ideas on the subject, one point is if u dont use the clutch and shift when under a ton of stress u can hurt it, but another view is if u shift with the clutch it eventually puts more wear on it..

so what is it, who needs the clutch and who doesnt??

Goat397
04-11-2004, 09:16 AM
as long as your doing it right theres no way upshifting without the clutch is going to hurt anything ,now downshifting im not gunna say cause that one im not sure about , cause it just doesnt feel right , downshifting i always use the clutch

SGA
04-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
is overall is it better to use the clutch or not??:confused:

im getting mixed ideas on the subject, one point is if u dont use the clutch and shift when under a ton of stress u can hurt it, but another view is if u shift with the clutch it eventually puts more wear on it..

so what is it, who needs the clutch and who doesnt??
Its sort of like ford VS chevy VS whoever, which is better? If you want to use the clutch, use it. If not, then dont.

Go with what works for you.
:)

deathman53
04-11-2004, 11:55 AM
I almost never use the cluth for shifting, I use it for feathering and starting, my xr250r did that, trx250r, atc250r, kawi tecate, atc200x, almost all no cluth shifting, like others said the trick is to learn what rpm to do it at and let off the gas almost totally. I rode a 250ex, I could shift such faster on 200x, on the 250ex I had to completely close the carb to shift, verses my 200x I just had to let off the gas for a second and then go full throttle, the 250ex, I couldn't go full throttle untill a few seconds after gassing it. its much faster to shift with out one, how much wear it puts on your tranny is minimal if done right, some bikes don't like without the cluth(warriors, baschees, mohave, that all I noticed)

James Parent
04-11-2004, 01:07 PM
.. its the rider, doesn't matter if you use the clutch or not.. a fast rider will always be fast

so you can't really say its quicker if you don't use the clutch