PDA

View Full Version : electrical help

flattrack450
04-09-2004, 09:20 PM
quad will sometimes turn over, but no spark. other times just a ticking noise from the started seleniod/relay... no spark. is it possible the round relay/selenoid is junk. i was under the impression this device just "bridged the gap" for ingnition. quad had been running fine, didn't touch a thing. just acted up suddenly.

any help is appreciated.

2004TRX450R
04-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Sounds like you might have a dead/weak battery. Charge it up and try again. If it still doesn't work with the battery charged you can bypass the relay but touching both of the large terminals on it with a screw driver. If it still doesn't work then your relay is probably good and you have a problem elsewhere. Have the bettery checked out if it still doesn't work after bing charged. It could just be bad and not takeing a charge.

flattrack450
04-10-2004, 12:37 PM
plenty of juice from the battery. checked the fuse too. used a screwdriver on the selenoid (used to be a must on my old warrior!), turns over fine, but still no spark. must mean the problem is elsewhere....... here we go. i hate chasing wires!!!

flattrack450
04-10-2004, 02:54 PM
also i have an aftermarket cdi... tried changing back to stock box, still no good.

2004TRX450R
04-11-2004, 02:53 AM
So it turns over fine with the screwdriver but not by itself? If so sounds like you either have a bad connection or a bad relay. Make sure there is getting power to the activation wire and that there is a good ground from the relay. If so you might have a bad relay. As for not haveing any spark check the pulser coil for resistance to ground. It shouldn't have any. Also check resistance between the pulser coil wires.

quadmxracer
04-11-2004, 11:55 AM
I had the same problem with my quad also. My start colenoid would sometimes make a clicking sound and my quad would start. I would turn the key on and try to start it but it would cut out, I played around jiggling the colenoid and I could get it started. The deal was I had a loose conection from the battery and It fixed my problem. You may want to check you conection from the battery and see if that helps. Hope u get it fixed.

flattrack450
04-13-2004, 10:55 AM
it seems to me that its probably the ignition coil under the left front fender. i have power everywhere else but just no spark. see how the plug cap comes out of this coil, it think i'll just replace it. anybody know how much one of these deals is? where's the cheapest place to order from? service honda?

thanks

quadmxracer
04-14-2004, 09:21 AM
You can purchase a new coil at www.albaaction.com for $33.33
Here is the exact address

http://216.37.204.206/Alba/Honda_OEM/HondaATV.asp?Type=13&A=74&B=42

Hope this helps,

Quadmxracer