PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Here Build Their Own Minibike?

Fast250EX
04-09-2004, 07:38 PM
I want a little minibike to take with me to places when I don't want to fool with loading up the quad but can't afford nor do i need an xr50 or similar. I am thinking of building one or finding a good project frame on ebay and then getting a nice, sweet (by sweet i mean badass) motor. I love restoring stuff like that. I was wanting to hear of anyone who has done this, get some tips and maybe a few tips on what to look for or where to get stuff to make one on my own. Welding stuff is not really a problem so don't worry much about that. I have been combing through ebay like crazy but to know avail with my low, low budget. I'd rather fix something up and make it my own anyway, plus its cheaper.:D

Honda4trax250x
04-09-2004, 08:26 PM
very very easy to do, but very very pointless

BlazingYamahaYz
04-10-2004, 06:18 AM
my friend made a mini bike once-turned out to be a waste of money....he bought a 50cc mini bike off of ebay, like $30 and $100+for shipping....we get it home, try to start it, no compression at all, tear the engine apart and it had no piston....so we scraped that and we put a 3hp engine on it...we had to weld a new engine holding plate and then we had to modify everything to work...the throttle cable was never really good and the brakes sucked....drum in the front that didnt work and basically no brake in the rear....in my opinion, i would have rather bought an already made mini-bike(like the xr)...just save up the $$!

steveatv3
04-10-2004, 07:43 AM
I built my own, it was awsome, it had BMX handlebars a nice suspension i put in a 8HP engine. i made everything but the frame and i got some stuff off of ebay.:devil:

4wheelboy
04-10-2004, 09:00 AM
just get a used xr50 it will probaly be cheeper in the long run and will run for ever. :o

exrider360
04-10-2004, 09:27 AM
i made a go cart

Fast250EX
04-11-2004, 09:01 PM
One of my friends has a nice minibike that doesn't have an engine but has everything else i could need, throttle cables, tires, mounting equipment and other things to make getting a motor a simple drop-in affair. It is already designed to fit a Tecumseh 5 horse or 6.5 horse. I just want something cheap for when i don't want to go through the trouble of loading up the EX. It doesn't have to be pimp, it just has to run and be reliable. I have wanted one for a long time but haven't really foound a good deal.