PDA

View Full Version : collar bone question?

bikes_rule
04-09-2004, 07:23 PM
well typing this is hard but i just broke my collar bone and my dockter says it realy bad but i was wondering from experience how long will it be until i can do light ridin or even motocross, this sucks bad:( :( :( :(

Nausty
04-11-2004, 10:41 AM
month in a half or so. I broke mine and i felt like I could of rode sooner. I was kinda surprised it didn't hurt that much.

Make sure you wear your figure 8 thing or your shoulders won't hang even anymore. I wore mine a lot and my left shoulder still hangs lower than my right.

bikes_rule
04-11-2004, 01:17 PM
thanx it realy hurts to do any thing but i cant wait to go do it again

f.s.o.s
04-11-2004, 03:07 PM
well first off how old are you? I'm 25 and I broke mine 8-31-2003 and after surgery (which they waited untill Dec. to do, hoping it would heal) I just got cleared to ride, lift and do everything on 3-30-2004...so.... it can take a while. I broke mine in 3 peices and now have a metal plate and 8 screws in my shoulder, thats right I set off metal detectors now... good luck broken collar bones suck ***.

300extreme#8
04-11-2004, 03:59 PM
well when i broke mine and went to west tennesse general hospital the dr told me it was the worst collar bone break he has ever seen or worked on,mine was broek and seperated 2inches apart,althought i just bought a camera and was trin to make a movie and i had to stay in the hos. for 2 nites b/c of concusion and i came home the next day and rode around to get film done it took me about 8weeks before i could come close to ridin hard ,but i had to wait 2 weeks bfore surgery so ur's my not be as bad mine didn't come back together like most do,but before surgery i did manage to get my friend over and i didn't film me but i showed him around and hit a 25ft table top bout 4ft tall and do free style bout i could do much at all i tried a can and kicked my arm and my should hurt too bad so i stopped,but if they have to do surgery then i'd say bout 8 weeks but if it grows back together on its own then i'd say 4-6 weeks,if u want i can show u my 4 inch scar haha

300extreme#8
04-11-2004, 04:05 PM
f.s.o.s.,i have a metal plate 2 but does urs every bother u. mine does everynow and then but i can get it out in a year.how big is ur plate, mine covers bout my whole bone tip to tip almost

bikes_rule
04-11-2004, 08:54 PM
im 15 and i broke it 3 days ago i think it only broke in one spot the docker just gave me a sling and a shoulder thing. im going in on tuesday to fnd out about pins:confused: wouldnt pins make it grow back faster because its some thing holding it togather? well all i know is that this sucks and i want to go get some air!

EvilJester400EX
04-12-2004, 12:08 AM
If the doctor gives you a chance to have surgery done to fix a broken bone, do it. Surgery heals so much faster than casts. Not to mention the pain killers are better. :cool:

EXJUMPER
04-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
If the doctor gives you a chance to have surgery done to fix a broken bone, do it. Surgery heals so much faster than casts. Not to mention the pain killers are better. :cool:

:rolleyes:
No casts for broken collar bones.

f.s.o.s
04-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
f.s.o.s.,i have a metal plate 2 but does urs every bother u. mine does everynow and then but i can get it out in a year.how big is ur plate, mine covers bout my whole bone tip to tip almost

same here except mine is in a "z" shape... it doesn't really bother me but I definitely know it's there. I think I've got mine for life..:confused:
if I'm sitting the right way you can see the screw heads, look like they use phillips screw lol I'm going riding tomorrow for the first "real" time since I broke it....hopefully I haven't forgot where the clutch is!!!!

JUSTINcredible
04-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by f.s.o.s

if I'm sitting the right way you can see the screw heads, look like they use phillips screw lol

sure would suck if they striped thos out:p

thejeepdude
04-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by f.s.o.s
well first off how old are you? I'm 25 and I broke mine 8-31-2003 and after surgery (which they waited untill Dec. to do, hoping it would heal) I just got cleared to ride, lift and do everything on 3-30-2004...so.... it can take a while. I broke mine in 3 peices and now have a metal plate and 8 screws in my shoulder, thats right I set off metal detectors now... good luck broken collar bones suck ***.

Hehe... sounds familiar! I shattered mine into 4 pieces on my 30th birthday week in Sept 03. One piece was close to hitting some vitals. That pretty much sucked. Now I have a metal plate and 9 screws. Sorry, just had to one-up ya. ;) I've been doing my 'normal' activities for a few months now, although it's just recently not bother me as much. Until last month I couldn't even sleep on that side. The worst part is the lost feeling in the entire shoulder region from cutting through the nerves for surgery. :(

By the way, flew for the first time a few weeks ago and the metal detectors didn't go off... I've heard titanium won't set 'em off, then again I'm not sure if it's Ti or surgical stainless. Either way, riders with metal UNITE! :D

Oh but back to the original poster's question... as long as you don't need surgery, you should be back to normal pretty quick... about 6-8 weeks. You could probably ride sooner than that if you don't mind a little pain. When I broke mine, I met a lady in her 50's who had broken BOTH her collarbones in an accident a year earlier and she said she was riding in about 3 months. I'm glad to see she still had the nerve to keep riding! My mom sure wouldn't have done that... lol...

EvilJester400EX
04-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by EXJUMPER
:rolleyes:
No casts for broken collar bones.

I know, they give slings.. I was just saying.

bikes_rule
05-03-2004, 05:50 PM
well its been about 4 weeks so whent in for a x ray and the docter said it looks the same as before exept a litle hazyness on the x ray :( that sucks big but he says mabey in a nother 4 weeks i can ride :)

Nausty
05-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Are getting enough calcium? Might be a good idea to take a calcium pill.

bikes_rule
05-04-2004, 04:51 PM
i drink milk :D but it doesnt seem to work very well

Meek
05-11-2004, 12:51 AM
I have broken both of mine twice, they take longer to heal the second time around.

MXER017
05-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Get the pins and plates it sounds like it sucks but it helps broke mine twice 6 to 8 weeks without pins with pins next day feels alot better

bikes_rule
05-12-2004, 07:00 AM
i think its to late for pins and plates becuse its already almost been 6 weeks. but it still feels like it could break again realy esily

MXER017
05-12-2004, 06:49 PM
It will feel that way for like a year,and yes it can break again they tell you once it heals its stronger but the area around the break is NOT and its not as big as the break spot so it breaks easier thats how I broke mine twice. The second time it broke right beside the original spot,but it didnt hurt as bad.