PDA

View Full Version : HMF slip-on results

Kadafiy
03-13-2002, 02:11 PM
I finished installing my HMF slip-on today and ground down the header while I was at it. Well it fired right up and the pipe sounds pretty mean. It's got a deep tone to it. The pipe is kind of loud, but it is not obnixous. I like the sound and the look of this pipe. It installed real easy and I didn't have any problems. I took my 400 for a little spin and you can really feel the added power. The throttle response is awesome and the low end is much stronger. I was going to go with a 14 tooth cs sprocket but it would be too much low end. I'm going to hit the trails with it this weekend and will let you potential pipe buyers know what I think. I still have to add the 4 WB air vents he gave me so that should help some too. If you're looking for a pipe I would recommend the HMF because you can't beat their prices and they offer different colors. So far so good.

03-13-2002, 03:34 PM
what main jet, piolt jet, and needle clip did you use? Was it easy to instal and what all did you do to grind down your header? Is it necessary to do this?

Kadafiy
03-13-2002, 04:03 PM
The only thing that I changed on the carb was the main jet and the air screw position. I went to a 165 main and 3 turns out on the air screw. Installation was a breeze, the thing that took a little while was the header removal which isn't necessary but I wanted to do it while the silencer was already off. If I didn't do the header it would have been a 15 minute job.

Kadafiy
03-13-2002, 04:06 PM
I just noticed that you have the HMF in your mods list. Don't you already have it?

03-13-2002, 04:26 PM
Yeah I have it , but have yet to install it. I bought the bike from a friend and he had the pipe but never got to instal it. Gonna be going for our first ride of the year this weekend.

Kadafiy
03-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Put it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-13-2002, 05:17 PM
Yeah I will be putting it on soon. How is the sound is it really piis the neihbors off loud or just a kinda loud deep tone that wont piss the neighbors off?

Kadafiy
03-13-2002, 05:50 PM
It's a deep tone. Depends on your neihbors. It shouldn't piss anyone off unless they hate atvs. Oh yeah HMF told me their pipes came in at 98 db witout the quiet core insert. That's pretty good. The tone sounds really mean, I love it. You'll see!

RideRed400StYlE
03-13-2002, 09:51 PM
WWhat color is everyones HMF pipe? what do you guys think looks the best.. I am goin to buy one pretty soon here

Kadafiy
03-14-2002, 07:40 AM
Mine is polished because I got a deal on the one he had there. I originally went in there wanting the red, but the polished looks real good. They all look good it just comes down to your preference.

03-14-2002, 09:46 PM
I heard earlier that the HMF slip on doesn't fit over stock head pipe because it has a bigger diameter. Is that true?

TargetBow
03-15-2002, 03:17 AM
BlueOval 400:
I thougt the same thing when I first got mine, but I found out that it is just a very snug fit. I had to spread the tabs on the slip-on where the slits are just a little bit to get the slip-on started onto the stock headpipe. You do not use a exhaust gasket like the stock exhaust uses. It is just a metal to metal joint which is clamped on with there supplied clamp.

03-15-2002, 07:45 AM
i knew you would love it! the hmf fit and finish is very nice! i had hans at hmf make me a carbon fiber can special so it matched the pipes on my hayabusa and ducati! i also have a full system on my grizzly 700!!!!

Kadafiy
03-15-2002, 07:56 AM
Mine went on perfectly. Didn't have to do anything to it to make it fit.

fooracer
03-15-2002, 07:11 PM
I was planning on getting either an LRD or big gun pipe but now you've got me thinking about an HMF. You mentioned that it increases bottom end power but how does it do in the mid range and top end. DO you think a 16 tooth sprocket would even it out nicely.:D
Brad

03-17-2002, 08:55 PM
If you are gonna go with the HMF let me know I have one that i am gonna be selling. its brand new silver had it on for one ride. also selling new in the box k&n filter with outerwears. let me know if you want them

Kadafiy
03-18-2002, 07:53 AM
Yella, why are you selling your HMF didn't you like it? I think the slip-on kicks ***** and couldn't see parting with it. Oh well your choice.

03-18-2002, 08:02 AM
It was to loud dont want to piss of the neighbors...

Kadafiy
03-18-2002, 08:41 AM
What about buying the quiet core? It sounds like your neighbors won't be happy with any pipe you buy! Are you going back to stock?

03-18-2002, 09:15 AM
yep im gonna have to go back to stock for now...