PDA

View Full Version : 450r k&N filter question

Icrashed
04-09-2004, 04:01 PM
I bought a new k&N air filter for my 450.I installed it according to the instructions but What do you do with the PVC vent hose? I really don't want to run it without some kind of filter on the PVC hose.

Also does anyone know what the micron rating is for the K&N filter's?

2004TRX450R
04-10-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Icrashed

Also does anyone know what the micron rating is for the K&N filter's?

I don't think there is one. I think it would be measured in something a lot bigger than a micron. They don't do the best job of filtering. And that isn't good with a nikasil cylender.

Manny55
04-10-2004, 08:04 AM
I have a question also, you dont need to rejet if you just put a k&n in right?

Bill Fuller
04-10-2004, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't run the K&N in my bike but thats me,Uni or any kind of foam filter is all that I will use.As far as rejetting since the filter is allowing more air to flow to the motor than it's a good possibility(most likely) that you will need to rejet.

Icrashed
04-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Ya, well thats what i was concerned about was the micron rating.I mean you can all most see through the K&N filtter when you hold it up to the light.Maybe thats the trick to them is they reduce the micron rating to increase the flow.But at what price?

I am starting to reconsider the K&N filter.Maybe a uni or some thing else.

Manny55
04-10-2004, 04:27 PM
I have a k&n on everything veichle. Corvette, truck, all 3 quads and not one problem with dirt or anything like that.

2004TRX450R
04-11-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
I wouldn't run the K&N in my bike but thats me,Uni or any kind of foam filter is all that I will use.As far as rejetting since the filter is allowing more air to flow to the motor than it's a good possibility(most likely) that you will need to rejet.

I agree

Originally posted by Manny55
I have a k&n on everything veichle. Corvette, truck, all 3 quads and not one problem with dirt or anything like that.

on the road in your vette and truck there isn't nearly as much dirt that can enter the filter like on a quad that is constantly stirring up dirt. None of you other bikes have nikasil cylenders either. I've run a K&N on my 250R for ever since I can remember and every time I take it apart there are some indications fo debris engering the cylender. It runs for a long time and may not actually sieze or anything but it will make your bike have less and less power as there gets more and more scratches in the cylender. And then when you decide to rebuild it you have to buy a new cylender because you can't bore it. It's kinda like I bet you have never taken your suspension apart and greased your linkage and swing arm pivot bearings. You say you have never had a problem but I bet if you took them apart you would need new bearings becaue they have been dry for so long that they are rusted and pitted and worn out.

ATC350X 85
04-11-2004, 09:13 PM
K&N is garbage, they let in more dirt than they are worth. I took them out of my 400ex and 350x after i bought them and replaced them with stock filter or an UNI. I have a UNI in my 400ex, XR 400 and my old 250R had one. They are great filters. You could probly get away with just going 1 jet bigger on the main with a UNI, maybe 2 Im not sure if the 450r is jetted rich or lean from the factory.

zwilldog
04-12-2004, 04:18 PM
k&n has not release thier 450r filter yet and the 400 ex one is too small

Manny55
04-12-2004, 05:20 PM
k&n has not release thier 450r filter yet and the 400 ex one is too small

Yes they have! I have one on my 450r right now and its not a 400ex filter!

KILLAQuad
04-12-2004, 06:52 PM
I have one on my R and it is the EX one and works just fine for XC Racing.......... (HRC lid and Outerware)...... no probs.....:huh

Icrashed
04-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Well, after talking too a friend who owns a cycle shop. We decided to just get me a uni instead (I should have talked with him first!).I just want the satisfaction of knowing that my air filter is doing its job. Like I say it just dosnt look like it would filter out anything but the bigger particles.

So, I got a K&N filter for sale, manny55!

Manny55
04-12-2004, 07:57 PM
So, I got a K&N filter for sale, manny55!

why did u say my name?

Icrashed
04-12-2004, 11:30 PM
OOPS!!

I mean't zwilldog.
Sorry my bad:D

Manny55
04-13-2004, 07:45 AM
Hey Icrashed did you have to rejet with just the k&n air filter?

Another question, do you live by St Anthony's Dunes?

Icrashed
04-13-2004, 04:15 PM
manny55,
I havnt even had a chance to ride it yet.It rained and then it turned to snow last weekend and boy did it get cold.So I couldnt ride her then.I might blast down the ally once tho!

My buddies and I are planning a trip to Killpecker dunes this sunday so i will see how she runs then.However, I may just run the stock filter till I get the uni.

From what I'v been told St Anthony's is about 4 hrs away from me.I haven't been there yet, but i'm trying to get up there for the 3-day weekend next month.We'll see if it pans out.