PDA

View Full Version : Stockers or ITP

blasterkiller14
04-09-2004, 02:34 PM
My friend still runs stock tires on his 300 and has never had a flat with them. He is debating weather to get 400ex radials or ITP Holeshot XCRs. I told him that the ITPs are less prone to flats yet the 400ex radials are light which means more speed. He doesnt race, and rides mostly on his farm(corn fields). Which one?

Woodsrider
04-09-2004, 03:32 PM
If he has never had a flat with the stockers, and can get the 400EX stock radials for the less than the holeshots then I would have to say get the radials. They really are a great tire for the 300;)

hondarider2006
04-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I have some holeshot xcr's and they hook up much better than the stock rears. They do weigh more, but its worth knowing that they are 6-ply and not 2-ply so it will be much harder to get a flat:D

TCracin440ex
04-09-2004, 07:42 PM
stock 400ex tires are 4-ply....if they were 2 ply they would wear down faster than what they do...holeshot mx's, mxr, razr mx, kenda klaw mx all them are 2 ply tires for racing...

J37MX
04-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Id go with ITP XCR's if he only rides in the corn fields and whatnot and he isnt concerned with alot of speed. I put holes in my 400ex tires quick and most of the people I know have gotten flats quick in their stock 400ex tires. Although you notice when you have 6ply tires it slows the machine down alot. Its whether your friend wants to have less drag or reduce the quickness of getting flats.

hondarider2006
04-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by J37MX
Id go with ITP XCR's if he only rides in the corn fields and whatnot and he isnt concerned with alot of speed. I put holes in my 400ex tires quick and most of the people I know have gotten flats quick in their stock 400ex tires. Although you notice when you have 6ply tires it slows the machine down alot. Its whether your friend wants to have less drag or reduce the quickness of getting flats.

I didn't notice any lose in speed:confused:

KY Woods Rider
04-10-2004, 04:37 AM
If cost isn't an issue and he isn't drag racing to actually need the weight savings at the rear wheels, then that decision isn't even close in my opinion, the ITPs are the better choice.

I have three complaints about the stock 400EX rear tires.
#1 - They aren't very puncture resistant. If you ride hard in the woods it's like playing dodge-ball, you keep trying to miss everything because you know if you hit anything sharp with the sidewall you're gonna pop it.
#2 - They have excellent straight line traction in soft to medium terrain. However, that is both a good thing and a bad thing. For riders that coast through a corner and then hit the gas once they're already pointed straight in the direction they want to go, there won't be any problems. For riders who get on the throttle hard as soon as they get to the apex of the corner, the tires want to quit sliding and send you straight forward instead of sliding until you decide to straighten it out.
#3 - The sidewalls are so soft that you can forget about hard cornering. Again, riders who coast through the corners will never have this problem. However, in a hard corner on any type of terrain with decent traction, an aggressive rider will roll the tire under the rim. This can turn into a not-so-funny situation in a hurry because when the rim digs into the ground it results in the quad coming up on two wheels in a hurry, and then you start having to countersteer out of a potential rollover while trying to miss trees, rocks, etc.

andrew360
04-10-2004, 11:00 AM
I just rode on my new Razr's yesterday, going from the stock tires. (I know they're not Holeshots, but they're obviously similar). Anyhow, I was hitting everything in the woods - rocks, stumps, logs, you name it. No trouble at all. They also slide a lot better than the stockers. I love them, and will never go back to flimsy-sidewall tires. As far as the weight penalty for them being 6-ply tires on ITP T9 Baja rims, I ride recreationally, and would rather have the peace of mind knowing that the chances of having a flat or a thrown tire (in the event of a flat) are slim at best.

J37MX
04-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Most people I know including myself noticed that going from stock 400ex tires to a 6 ply tire slowed their 400ex's down. So I know its not just me. Maybe the top speed is the same but the acceleration wasnt for me. It made my 400ex feel dead.

Goat397
04-11-2004, 09:30 AM
well did you drop to a lower size tire ? cuz i run the xc's and i didnt feel any loss in top speed

J37MX
04-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Goat397
well did you drop to a lower size tire ? cuz i run the xc's and i didnt feel any loss in top speed

Are you talking to me?

If so I may have had the same top speed with 6 ply tires as with the stock 400ex tires but it slowed my acceleration down quite a bit. I didnt say anywhere that I can see that I said I lost top speed. I said that it slowed my 400ex down which to me means it felt like it had alot of drag and was hard to get up to speed.

blasterkiller14
04-12-2004, 08:05 AM
He will probably go with the radials because he said that he doesnt care about flats. Also, he said that this will hopefully help his quad get up to top speed better because the stock 22's were weighing him down.