PDA

View Full Version : throttle assembly in carb not reach the idle screw

Steelerz37
04-09-2004, 12:15 PM
bear with me as i do not know the proper names of these items.

i unhooked my throttle cable form where it connects to the carb because i thought that it was the cable getting bound up somehwere and not letting the assembly in there reach the point where it hits the idle adjustment screw, the one that can be adjusted from outside the carb near the choke. The only thing I had done to the carb was yesterday. I rejetted it and put in a 40 pilot and 155main, so i only took off the bowl of the carb. The last time i rode it, it was fine.

but to clarify if needed, the throttle cable is NOT connected to the carb in anyway not and the assembly will not drop down as far as it needs to go and that is making it idle EXTREMELY high. any help would be great. thanks.

forgot to say it is a 2003 400ex

zlam27
04-09-2004, 12:28 PM
ok, take off the rubber boot up by the throttle assembly and loosen that lock nut (on the handlebars). make sure you have that metal tube attached to the cable screwed into the top of the carb most of the way. next you need to make sure the cable and that metal piece fit up underneath the gas tank in the appropriate groove. after that is all set up correctly, then just adjust the slack in the throttle lever up by the handlebars.

its kinda tricky getting the cable back in the slide/plunger deal on the right side of the carb. just make sure you screw the cable into the carb before you actually attach the cable so it doesnt twist and distort.

help ya out any???

zach

Steelerz37
04-09-2004, 12:31 PM
thats not my problem though, even with the cable disconnected from the carb completely the throttle link arm, i think is what it is after looking at my clymers, will not touch the throttle stop screw

Steelerz37
04-09-2004, 12:45 PM
here is a picture of whqat i am talking about...

http://steelwind.mine.nu/carb.jpg

its a pretty big picture so it may take some time to load

Steelerz37
04-09-2004, 01:29 PM
couple things i just noticed.

i took it apart again and i took out the pilot jet i put in cause i wasnt sure if that maybe would be sticking up to high and hitting something, but it wasnt.... i noticed that if i turned the idle screw as far as it would go then it would touch where the throttle assy stops...i also noticed that the plate on the engine side of the carb seems to fully close.... also it sounds fine when the engine is choked, seems to idle just right then. I dont see what could have happened.. i looked all over the carb and everything seems ok, im no expert obviously but it all seems ok. i started out with a 160 main jet, 42 pilot. the 160 kept fouling my plugs and i thought that 42pilot was too high for my changes last fall. so now I have a 155 main and a 40 pilot, and I also put in a new spark plug. That is everything that I had done to it yesterday. The last time i rode it, besides it fouling the plugs alot, idled fine and didnt act like this at all. I am out of ideas.

ewalker302
04-10-2004, 02:44 AM
It may be the needle....not going down all the way.

Just take the three screws & the plate off the top of the carb.

You can look in there to see if the needle is all the way down (if the clip is resting on the slide).

A, screw, or some trash could have come loose when you changed jets, and gotten under the needle's clip

I think the needle goes into the pilot jet, so maybe its hitting the new jet, or there is a piece of trash keeing it from going down.

This could cause the condition you describe.

:bandit:

Steelerz37
04-10-2004, 10:19 AM
im not sure what happened, yesterday i took it all apart again, took the jet out compare it with the new one. Apparnetly I was wrong about the assy not hitting the idle screw. But something was definitly wrong. I figured I would try the air fuel screw and see if that made any difference, and when i put it back together and on the quad it ran perfect. so I have no clue. Thanks for the help everybody

zlam27
04-10-2004, 12:25 PM
the needle does not go into the pilot jet, it goes into the main jet (in a round-about way).

to be technical, the jet needle (the needle looking thing attached to the slide) goes down into the needle jet (the brass jet in the bottom of the carbs intake - the piece the needle slides into). that will control most of your midrange from 1/4 to about 3/4. the pilot and fuel screw control idle up to 1/4 throttle.

anyway, im glad you got it figured out.

zach