PDA

View Full Version : My Decision

Pappy
04-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Well, today i took the day off to ride with the kids. I just got done riding for over 2 hours switching between the TRX450R and the YFZ 450. Both quads are set up the same, full elka suspension with the elka rear linkage's, hipers and razors. other then the yfz has a +1 stem and tag bars they are the same for all intensive purposes.

Everyone knows i was pretty tiffed at honda for not having electric start. Well other then stalling it and getting rear ended or stalling it on hill or something i havent really missed the magic button. the honda starts effortlessly cold or hot.

I was the one also praising the yfz, and i still think its the best quad out of the box for MX. However, my rear end will now be planted on the Honda. The trx does it right for me. The steering is light and precise. With the adition of the elka suspension she now handles on par with most Gncc style quads IMO. I will still add an axle and wider a arms but she is pretty damn tight right now.

Please dont think im saying anything more then what i have observed from riding both with no pressure from anyone or brand loyality. The Honda came out on top for me.

04-09-2004, 10:28 AM
How much you want for the POS yammi:confused:

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

brian-250
04-09-2004, 10:29 AM
what rate shocks do you have on both of them?

Pappy
04-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by brian-250
what rate shocks do you haveon boith of them?oh and,pics or stfu:macho

before you pop of at the mouth junior id suggest you take a few reading comprehension classes.

brian-250
04-09-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
before you pop of at the mouth junior id suggest you take a few reading comprehension classes.

hey i just asked what RATE they were triple,dule what?

Pappy
04-09-2004, 10:35 AM

and some spelling classes

04-09-2004, 10:35 AM

both are triple rate and the pics or stfu comment didn't blow pappy's skirt up I don't think....:o

brian-250
04-09-2004, 10:39 AM
and some spelling classes

its my typing:o

seatec
04-09-2004, 10:41 AM
Pappy, to clarify for me. Is your assesment based on woods riding or does it go for XC and MX. Just wondering?

As for "your ***" being planted on the Honda from now on means you will be selling the Yammi?

400exmom
04-09-2004, 10:45 AM
my starts sukk so bad with the electric start i was hoping the kick start might be better for me~ who knows! i hope by next year to pick up that new honda..

Pappy
04-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by seatec
Pappy, to clarify for me. Is your assesment based on woods riding or does it go for XC and MX. Just wondering?

I havent riden the TRX on a MX track since the Elka's were added. Id still say the YFZ will be on top if MX is your thing...ONLY if you keep the quads stock.

Once the usual a arms and stuff are added to each I think the competition will be so close on the MX track that it will be soley on the rider and his style of riding. The yfz does feel like a 250r with regards to handling, however the stock a arms geometry is just a touch off. Im not certain but id say its in the spindle angle. No quad turns as well as a honda.

quadrcr161
04-09-2004, 10:58 AM
hey pappy, have you reset your toe on the 450r or anything? mine turns ok, but not like it should, i got looking yesterday and it looks like the toe is off. glad to hear you liked the 450r, im thinking of riding up to loretts to watch the XC, ive been to the MX and TT that was there for years, can ou send me a PM abotu where they have teh XC?

seatec
04-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Great, thanx for your honest opinion.
Now some of the kiddy basher on this board who where afraid to say anything bad about the yfz because you had one will gather up the courage start talking trash about the yfz again. lol

04-09-2004, 11:00 AM

Now some of the kiddy basher on this board who where afraid to say anything bad about the yfz because you had one will gather up the courage start talking trash about the yfz again. lol

I was never skeeeeert...:devil:

ReconRider25
04-09-2004, 11:02 AM
woot woot. honda on top.:p so ur saying out of the box, yfz is better for mx and the trx is better for xc? but with mods the honda comes out ontop at mx too?:confused:

Pappy
04-09-2004, 11:03 AM
I made sure I made no changes to either quad that would give one an advantage over the other. The settings are straight from the manufacture's. Your toe in or out issue could be bad dealer prep and its advisable to check you machine out thoroughly. My trx turns on a dime. The yfz (and ive riden several) have a push in the turns especially tight ones. Aftermarket a arms seem to help this so if its not in the spindle then id suffice to say its in the actual a arm geometry.

Dont worry about kids or anyone else spouting BS. If someone sez either of these quads are hands down better then the other they are full of it. Its a great time to be in this sport, and its only getting better!

seatec
04-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Rico, you are only skeeerd of yourself and your mother. Oh wait. Your soon to be wife as well. :devil:

Disclaimer: In no shape way or form was this post meant to offend Rico's (aka Ree-coo) Mother or dishonor her in any way.

seatec
04-09-2004, 11:05 AM
You know. looking at the horizontal plane of the upper arm you can tell that the TRX has a slight down slope towards the rear. maybe thats the magic?

Are those the stock wheels on the YFZ?(rubber i mean)

Pappy
04-09-2004, 11:05 AM
On the MX track its of my opinion that with mods these quads will be dead equal....and big surprise....its going to be the better rider that wins

Pappy
04-09-2004, 11:06 AM
You know. looking at the horizontal plane of the upper arm you can tell that the TRX has a slight down slope towards the rear. maybe thats the magic?

the honda secret lie's in the camber built into the spindle. i think gabe or 465stroker pointed out the actual numbers in a post but it was very enlightening

seatec
04-09-2004, 11:08 AM
but camber is easily adjusted. (maybe not if its built in) No ackerman differences between the two?

Pappy
04-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Rico
How much you want for the POS yammi:confused:

2004 YFZ
Hipers with I razors on the front and razors on the rear
Burgard Chrome +1 stem with Tag fat bars double cr hi bend and spider grips
Pro Design kill switch with Baldwin wiring kit
Balwdin front billet hubs (honda bolt pattern)
Pep chain roller locator
Elka front tripple rates with compression/preload adjustable shocks
Rear Elka dual rate with the Elka long Travel linkage
DID 520 chain
HMF full system (havent even installed due to keeping the quads stock for the comparision)
X Factor pro peg nerf bars
Prm full chassis skid plate
Prm swing arm skid plate
Prm front desert bumper
Prm rear desert grab bar

ummmm i'd say $9,200

Pappy
04-09-2004, 11:12 AM
but camber is easily adjusted. (maybe not if its built in) No ackerman differences between the two?

You would have to get with gabe or rick and have them explain all the numbers and what they do. i am not an expert by far:p

seatec
04-09-2004, 11:13 AM
OK, thanx pappy. not a bad price on that yfz. somebody will snatch it up im sure.

Now go change your Avatar. You are no longer part of the Dark Side Luke.:devil:

brian-250
04-09-2004, 11:24 AM
2004 YFZ
Hipers with I razors on the front and razors on the rear
Burgard Chrome +1 stem with Tag fat bars double cr hi bend and spider grips
Pro Design kill switch with Baldwin wiring kit
Balwdin front billet hubs (honda bolt pattern)
Pep chain roller locator
Elka front tripple rates with compression/preload adjustable shocks
Rear Elka dual rate with the Elka long Travel linkage
DID 520 chain
HMF full system (havent even installed due to keeping the quads stock for the comparision)
X Factor pro peg nerf bars
Prm full chassis skid plate
Prm swing arm skid plate
Prm front desert bumper
Prm rear desert grab bar

ummmm i'd say $9,200

bring it to TN and ill write a check;)

seatec
04-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Because it's you he will trust you and accept Cash!

brian-250
04-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Because it's you he will trust you and accept Cash!

if he'll take a Recon and an ex on trade ill take it:o naw,like i always say be happy to have what you have if you dont like it tuff shat!:macho

Chanman420q
04-09-2004, 12:11 PM
im hoping we see a lot more trx450R's on the track, not just because i ride honda, but because im sick of going threw the race coverage and seeing 98% all YFZ's:o

seatec
04-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
im hoping we see a lot more trx450R's on the track, not just because i ride honda, but because im sick of going threw the race coverage and seeing 98% all YFZ's:o

Now you know how Yammie riders felt before the 450 revolution.
Learn and apply.

CTmxyfz
04-09-2004, 12:19 PM
I think they are both nice quads. Even though i have no rode the trx, ill always love the yfz. Chanman, when i went to Southwick, there are alot more reds popping in again.

Chanman420q
04-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Learn and apply.

learn and apply...

stfu *****boy

seatec
04-09-2004, 12:41 PM
learn and apply...

stfu *****boy

Somebody needs a nap. keep your pantyhose on boy. :D

Foxrage
04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
This is great information....

The sad thing is i have been saying this since day one. before the honda even came out.

Its all in the rider with these new ATVs. People should worry about getting better and not trying to make there atv better or getting the better atv.

Me i couldnt take the friction of both new atvs so i bought i race ready 400ex and plan on gettin a CRF engine to put in it.

k2-dawg
04-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I think changing the yammi's front bumper causes it to push thru turns......***sarcasm***.

Seriously, thanks for your evaluation Pappy! TRX for me, baby.

seatec
04-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by k2-dawg
I think changing the yammi's front bumper causes it to push thru turns......***sarcasm***.

Seriously, thanks for your evaluation Pappy! TRX for me, baby.

Nah man! Its the longer name and heavy sticker material they use. :devil:

Ralph
04-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Learn and apply.

yeah but they also had to deal with being in the back:blah:

seatec
04-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
yeah but they also had to deal with being in the back:blah:

touche! lol

We will not take it anymore!!!!!! no more i tell ya:D

Quad18star
04-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Pappy , I think your decision SUCKS . LOL I'm just playing ;) I havent had the chance to try the TRX and barely tried my YFZ yet . Good to know that Honda made a great quality quad .

TCracin440ex
04-09-2004, 07:31 PM
imo this is my opinion....yamaha can put all the R&D into their quads they want but i still in my own opinions believe a honda is more user friendly....i think pappy made a wise choice....they are both good bikes and the sport quad industry is booming right now...soon a zuki releases their z450 u can best believe the sport quad industry is going thru the roof...ive rode my friends raptor for hours and hours....and its a tuff bike to maintain....u cant really cruise arround on that bike due to gears, and its just not made to be rode softly....then i get back on my 400ex and its like going from a old pos truck w/o power steer...to a cadillac escalade

these are my opinions...not trying to start a flame war...u can either agree with me or disagree....its not like im going to do a jay and silent bob strikes back and fly to your house knock on your door and slap you...

ive not rode the yfz 450 yet...but nor have i rode the 450r...im just saying what i see between the raptor and 400ex...yamaha is a good company no doubt....but i bleed red

if you dont have the wings you dont have a prayer!

markeg192
04-10-2004, 07:36 PM
Another satisfied 450R owner!

cheetah
04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Quads are getting more and more like the dirtbike industry. No one motor makes significantly more power than the other it all comes down to how you like the delivery and they other little things like frame geometry and suspension. It truly is a great time to be in the sport.

cheetah
04-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Quads are getting more and more like the dirtbike industry. No one motor makes significantly more power than the other it all comes down to how you like the delivery and they other little things like frame geometry and suspension. It truly is a great time to be in the sport.

SGA
04-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
I agree. The different brands are getting much closer in terms of power and handling. Its really starting to boil down to rider preference and brand loyalty.

flyin#5
04-11-2004, 05:21 PM

no kidding. thats all there is. but i guess he is right. were seeing the quad world change from 250r's. the good part is i saw all them yfz's get spanked by the only 450r (mostly stock, yfz's were modded to $h!t) out there. :)