PDA

View Full Version : Gusseting frame-please help

ChadEXer
03-13-2002, 11:08 AM
Ive got my bike tore apart and I decided I should go ahead and gusset my frame. I have a friend at the machine shop who said he will do it free! I just need to find out exactly where all he needs to add reinforcement. Does anyone know where all it need to be done. Also can I get it gusseted, then sandblasted and powdercoated, or does it need to be sand blasted before I powdercoat it?????
Thanks
Chad

chris29
03-13-2002, 03:55 PM
Reenforce it in the front. Do all of the where it comes to an angle. And yes you need to sandblast first.

QuadRacer041
03-13-2002, 04:44 PM
yea i agree up front, i cracked mine up front by the top ahock mount

Dave400ex
03-13-2002, 05:12 PM
Gabe (86atc250r) just got done Guesseting his Frame. Ask him where he Welded on it.

papaw
03-13-2002, 05:50 PM
also you might want to gussett it around the back inside of the frame(not the sub-frame)by the foot peg mounts.you might check out an after market frame.

Adams44
03-14-2002, 06:22 AM
Gusset across the front cross member where the wire runs across the frame to the CDI box. Also on the side around the same place there is a factory gusset, place one below this where to tubes come together in a triangle. Just below the top tubes where they bend down is a very common place to break.

The top rear shock mount could be reinforced on top and at the bottom of the top rear chock mount.

Footpegs could use some reinforcment underneath. Out of three frames sandblasted this winter all three had cracks around the footpeg mounts.

I would also have your subframe modified to accept a 250R grab bar.

I am sure there are some other places, but that is all that I know of.

ChadEXer
03-14-2002, 07:40 AM
Why does it have to be sandblasted first??? Can I gusset it then get it blasted and coated or is that a NO NO????

chris29
03-14-2002, 01:50 PM
Okay first go ahead and gusset, then sandblast, and then have it powdercoate.