PDA

View Full Version : How to start your 400 in the cold!

ebanezar
03-13-2002, 09:18 AM
I bought a brand new 2002, 400ex less than 4 months ago and soon discovered that it did not want to start in the cold. I read the post on here about the bigger jets and the choke, no choke posts. After fouling 4 plugs and running my battery down twice since I bought it, I have found the solution! First turn the choke on full, hit the starter button, as soon as it hits the first time turn the choke completly off. Then start pumping the throttle like you are trying to start a old dodge pickup. The quad will spit and sputter but it will stay running and soon be ready to ride. :D Hey try it and see!

VegasEx'r
03-13-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by ebanezar
Then start pumping the throttle like you are trying to start a old dodge pickup. The quad will spit and sputter but it will stay running and soon be ready to ride. :D

So do you like old Dodge pickups or not? :D

Seriously, though, fouling 4 plugs in 4 months on a 4 stroke seems suspicious. I don't know when the pic was taken, and didn't see your location, but it doesn't look too cold. Has it always been hard to start, or only in the winter? Are you going to play around with rejetting? Maybe bump the pilot to a 40 (assuming you have the stock pilot still there)?

ebanezar
03-13-2002, 09:44 AM
I live in central kentucky, and the picture was taken about 2 weeks ago when we had a freekish 68 degree day. If the quad sits for more than a week it is a nightmare to start without using my technique, and it is completely stock. After it warms up it fires up instantly. I have a friend with a 2000 model and it acts the same way. I am planning on adding a pipe and K&N, then changing my jets and maybe that will solve the problem.

When I talked to my local honda shop they said it was a common problem with the 400's and suggested to carry and extra plug and some jumper cables in my truck.

And I love old dodge pickups but that is what it reminds me of when pumping the gas:p

03-13-2002, 10:19 AM
That does sound strange man...

Up here in Canada it's about as cold as it gets, and only once have I ever had a problem starting my machine (apparently I have trouble figuring out which way is on with the choke). I had left the choke on from the previous time I had started my machine and turned it off when I thought I was turning it on. Yes, I am dumb...

But honestly though, even in -20 weather, the thing fires right up, when I hit the start button, so your problems may run deeper than your starting technique. Just to let you know, when I start my machine, it's full choke, I run it for a few seconds at full choke, then flip it down to half choke, jump on for a putter up and down the driveway or whatever, and flip the choke off while I'm in motion. I have never fouled a plug either and I've had my machine for over a year now...

MadcapEX
03-13-2002, 10:52 AM
I give it 5 pumps and start it no choke at all. As soon as it fires crack the throttle slightly and hold it for 30 seconds. No sputterring or popping or fouling or assorted ugliness. I have the stock pilot whatever it is and airscrew out 3 turns.

TRFOXX
03-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Im having problems getting mine started also when its cold. What I do is pump it 3-4 times hit the start button till it cranks over a few times, flip the chock up hit it again till it starts, flip the chock halfway for a bit and then flip it all the way down and rev it up till shes warm.
That was about the only way I could get her started. Im putting in a 40 pilot today so hopefully it will help. :rolleyes:

TRFOXX
03-13-2002, 01:19 PM
Its choke! sorry guys cant spell today to many cold ones today!

JabberJaw
03-13-2002, 01:31 PM
That's exactly how I start my bike first thing in the morning.... Put the choke on FULL, press the throttle FULL twice, then hit the starter button. Works everytime, in cold weather or hot weather!