PDA

View Full Version : raise front end w/ elkas

Berry
04-08-2004, 09:28 PM
i have elka triple rate SSD on the front with stock rear shock on my 400ex. my rear shock works fine, its just it sits alot higher than my front so i was wondering if i can adjust this any way. i know i can lower the rear but i cant find anything to turn the adjustment on the shock. i tried a flat head scredriver and hit it with a hammer and it wouldnt budge. anyone have any suggestions on how to turn that adjustment? and also, can i raise the front end some without affecting the performance of the shocks? i dont have the owners manual so i dont know how! i have the tools to move the collars on the shock i think its the ride height, i have the tools to move those. would that raise the front end? so can anyone give me advice, i have a race saturday so i need info asap thanks

300exOH
04-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Try taking the weight off the rear so that the rear shock is fully extended. That should help the preload ring be easier to turn with the screwdriver. You can also get a tool from the dealer or you may try large slip joint pliers if you have room. I've used a piece of wood with success but the proper tool would be the best way. Good luck.

Pappy
04-08-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Berry
i tried a flat head scredriver and hit it with a hammer and it wouldnt budge.

try loosening the small allen head retaining bolt(s) :eek2:
then adjusting the preload
:p

Elka shocks better be tuff if this is the type of carethey are given:grr:

300exOH
04-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Also you will want to adjust both to get a ride height of about 8.5". Measure from the bottom of the frame behind the footpegs to the ground and at the frame below your front motor mounts to the ground also.

300exOH
04-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
try loosening the small allen head retaining bolt :eek2:
then adjusting the preload
:p

Elka shocks better be tuff if this is the type of carethey are given:grr:

I thought he meant he was doing this to the rear stock shock:eek2:

Berry
04-08-2004, 10:23 PM
yes, i was. im going to lower the rear shock

Pappy
04-09-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Berry
yes, i was. im going to lower the rear shock

thank god:p

Berry there are 2 locking preload rings on your rear shock. If your on the shifter side of the quad, take a long flatblade screwdriver and a hammer and place the screwdriver on the top preload ring. you will want to turn it AWAY from you. if its being stubborn, try getting the lower ring to turn down(towards you)

also clean the threads really well and a pply some wd-40.

if all else fails you will need to remove the shock and compress the spring, then loosen the rings.

too many people never clean and lube those threads and they can be a ***** to get loose

cdalejef
04-09-2004, 07:01 AM
One problem is your using a screwdriver, you need to use a punch. The screwdriver handle absorbes alot of the impact from the hamer

sprtrx300ex
04-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Berry, I had the same problem as you a week ago. I couldn't get the preload rings to move at all! So this is what I did:

Take your rear shock off

Get a very large screwdriver (has to be big)

Put the shock on a workbench and place the tip of the screw driver on the top ring, so that you can hit it and the ring will move right. WD-40 helps too

Hit the top of the hammer with alot of force, and it will eventually budge

It took me 2hrs before I finally tried a bigger hammer and screwdriver. It worked

After you loosen it put it on the bike w/o tightening up the mounting bolts and measure the height (under teh footpegs and by the a-arms). Make sure you tighten the reload ring up well before you tighten up the mounting nuts.

tstrenuous10
04-11-2004, 11:46 AM
quick question....i heard someone on here mention the elka econs....are they the same thing as the ssr? if not whats the difference between them? price and performance?

300exOH
04-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by tstrenuous10
quick question....i heard someone on here mention the elka econs....are they the same thing as the ssr? if not whats the difference between them? price and performance?

If you mean SSD yes they are. I have the Elka economy shocks. They are just preload adjustable with no rezzie. I think they are much better quality and performance vs. stock or Works. I only ride trails so I didn't need the adjustability of the better Elka's. If you race you may want to spend the extra money for the adjustability. If you only ride trails and race occasionally or not at all the economy shocks would be fine.

tstrenuous10
04-11-2004, 02:45 PM
ok cool. i didnt want to walk into a store or nuthin and be like "gimmie the econs and a rear SSR" or sumthin like that and look like an ***.

well i dont race at all unless there is a track at the spot i ride at. some places have them but im not hardcore race only. i just want a softer ride.

300extreme#8
04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
hey josh,i saw u this sun what was wrong with your quad ,I relized that u raced brandons 440 u did pretty good,i was a flagger trin to make me some money to get mine back runnin,i was the flagger on the big tabletop,hope u get the bug fixed on ur quad holla back at me bout it.