PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding ain't workin!!!!!

03-13-2002, 07:55 AM
The rears on my 400 are great but I have minimal fronts. While changing pads on my front, the wonderful neighbor kid came by and got to playin with my brake lever and poof no front brakes!!!! I've bled for 2 hrs at a time with a whole d*** gallon of brake fluid & no go. Loosened the bleeders let it gravity bleed for 4 or 5 fills of the resevoir then tried to bleed and all it does is get a little bit of tension after pumpin it, then after I let it sit come back and I max it out to the grip again. Tried speed bleeders---- Read the deal with the clear fish hoses, will that work on the fronts. If so do I have to do both bleeders at the same time???

JabberJaw
03-13-2002, 08:15 AM
No, you should'nt do both at the same time.

There could be something else wrong with your brakes. The pistons could be froze, the o-rings could be shot, the brake line could have a leak or bulge in the hose, the reservoir could be leaking air into the line, or be faulty.

You have to do a process of elimination. By putting the clear hose on the line, and pumpling the brake lever.... you will see if you have good flow. You can also take the brake pads out, remove the calipers, and check that the pistons are moving easily. If you know what you are doing should all be a piece of cake... if you don't...get a little help. If you bring your bike over....I'll help you fix your brakes :-)

RideRed400EX
03-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Do yourself a favor and buy a Mityvac then kiss your brake bleeding problems goodbye. As Jabber said the problem may not be your lines.

chris29
03-13-2002, 03:47 PM
Who needs brakes anyways just slows you down:devil

leel
03-14-2002, 05:36 AM
I agree with the Mityvac comment above. I tried for hours to bleed the rear brakes after changing pads and could never get pressure to build up with the lever. I bought one of those vacuum pump lever operated things where you put a tube on the bleed nipple and create a vacuum in the system, and everything worked great.

Good luck,
Lorrin

Holty
03-14-2002, 07:23 AM
what the heck is a Mityvac and where do you find more info/prices for these things? thanks

leel
03-14-2002, 09:49 AM
click on this link to see one (Wow, it's actually called a MiteVac !)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38053

I have friends borrow mine now, the problem seems to happen pretty often.

Good luck,
Lorrin

03-14-2002, 08:49 PM
i have the same exact problem cause something happened just like that. let me know what your problem comes to be.

440EXR
03-14-2002, 10:07 PM
Hey if you guys have anyone who raises horses nearby or a large animal vet just ask them for a big syringe I tried it and it works great for bleedin brakes just hook the syringe to a clear hose and suck the fluid and air out works the same as a vaccum pump but its way cheaper usually FREE :D

Mitch400EX
03-14-2002, 10:28 PM
You have to suck the fluid down into the lines because the master cylinder isn't strong enough to fill the lines by itself. I just took a straw and siphoned small amounts of brake fluid through the bleeders. Brakes work fine now.