PDA

View Full Version : trouble with rear shock?

wimotox450r
04-08-2004, 04:58 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with the rear shock on the R? The rebound seems way to fast. I have mine set as slow as you can and it still wants to buck me over the bars in the whoops. Now, my spring preload is still in the stock setting. If I let all the preload out of it will it be any better? What do you guys think of your rear shock?

schmitthead
04-08-2004, 05:05 PM
I had the same problem, but after realizing that the screw was screwed the wrong way it stopped. I do have my preload adjusted about 95 % of the shock. I hope this helps.

WOracing
04-08-2004, 05:54 PM
mine seems fine..havent had a prob yet with the shocks.

MIA450R
04-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Full Soft Rebound on mine definetly makes the rear shock spring up quickly, but full Hard Rebound only seems to slightly retard the rebound....I really thought the difference between the 2 would be much greater.

I dont have anyone near me to compare to (except my friends DS 650) ... but it sounds like others R's on here are the same as mine? I am running my rear shock rebound almost full Hard to keep from getting bucked.....

MX#9
04-09-2004, 06:58 AM
I thought that full soft on the rebound would slow the rebound down? Am I wrong?

MIA450R
04-09-2004, 07:11 AM
No.

Full soft rebound = faster rebound.
Full hard rebound = slow rebound.

Unless I'm suffering from a brain cloud.

schmitthead
04-09-2004, 07:14 AM
your right MIA. I hac the exact same problem, I just had a little trouble putting it into words.

kbass24emtp
04-09-2004, 08:07 AM
I'm having the same problem in the big whoops even after the preload mod. I thinking it might be the rear tires causing some of the problem for being bouncy. What do you all think?

lukester720
04-09-2004, 01:18 PM
The stock rear tires are most likely the whole problem. Just changing the tires alone would have probably fixed the problem. I installed some 18 inch holeshot mxr's and they feel great. It would be nearly impossible to get the suspension to feel right when going through whoops with stock rubbers.

wimotox450r
04-09-2004, 01:21 PM
It could be the tires. Never thought about that. Im not a fan of radial tires on quads. You cant run enough air presure and they are 2 tall. Im used to riding on holeshot MXR's. I let almost all of the spring preload out of the rear and that seemed to help a bit. I need some good whoops to really see.

holeshot19
04-09-2004, 03:02 PM
especally when u take all the preload hopefully someone will come up with a swing arm with a no link setup

UNCLE BUCKI
04-09-2004, 08:31 PM
i had the same problem with the rear sock it just would not react the way i neded it to , the rebound is way to quick for agressive racing , it wrecked me twice and i lost confidence in the machines ability in the rough tight stuff(into trees at both georgia and north carilina gncc's), i was running long travel ft and no link rr last year so its a big change, i recently bought a set of elkas ft and rr w/long travel rr linkage and the difference was unbelievable, ive got the ft tuned almost perfect but the back is hard to get right because of the shorter stroke used on the 450 honda should have repositioned the shock mount higher and further forward but i guess we have to make it work with what weve got, by the way even with the rr shock not tuned to my picky ways it still is a 1000 times better than stock.

gncc#47

holeshot19
04-10-2004, 01:03 AM
me and santo revalved my ft and rear stockers and they r doing ok i just dont see any use to buy any after markets untill they come out with a swing arm and some kind of rear linkage kit. if they can fix a suzki rear this thing can be cured
:blah:

"BLAHH"300!!
04-10-2004, 02:34 AM

.....Is it just me, or does this face look differant?-->:blah:

UK450R
04-10-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by holeshot19
me and santo revalved my ft and rear stockers and they r doing ok i just dont see any use to buy any after markets untill they come out with a swing arm and some kind of rear linkage kit. if they can fix a suzki rear this thing can be cured

Did you change the springs aswell?
Is santo putting dual or tripple frount and back?

holeshot19
04-10-2004, 04:25 PM
he just changed the valve stacks, at the time that was all he done on any of the shocks, i kind of sproung them on him i had then complely disambled and he made the stacks i put them back together and brought them home to charge them. last i heard he was working on a dual rate front and rear setup. santo is extremly busy working on his yamaha he races:)

Santo DeRisi
05-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I am working on the Pro Millennium kit for the front and rear of the TRX! I am hopeing to have it ready soon! The rear needs the pro millennium kit to stop the fast rebound problem. The fast rebound is because of the way that Showa designed the piston. I will have dual rate setup for the front and a single rate in the rear for XC riding/racing and for MX i will have a dual rate zps setup for the front and the rear!

Silverfox@C&DRacing
05-07-2004, 07:50 AM
when you use the ssd in the rear it makes a huge difference the rebound (oh what the heck) the whole shock feels awesome for mx and xc :)