PDA

View Full Version : lubing chain

Alberta_Qaudin
04-08-2004, 02:30 PM
what are you guys using to grease the cain and are you doin it every time you run it

SSRedRider
04-08-2004, 02:38 PM
I use either BelRay or Klotz chain lube. I use it every time I race, and after I wash it. when I just ride it depends what I get into, if I go thru a lot of water or snow I lube it every time.

04-08-2004, 02:43 PM
WD-40 is the only kind of chain lube I use anymore. All other attract dirt/grim to the chain. I've used them all even the high dolla ones and WD-40 is the best there is..

Cheaper too...:cool:

skemp
04-09-2004, 10:36 PM
I like to use plain Maxima lube on o-ring chains and Maxima wax on non o-ring chains. I lube my non o-ring chains every ride.

KY Woods Rider
04-10-2004, 05:14 AM
I usually lube my chain after every ride. I almost always have to wash my quad after a ride, so I wash it, ride it around to dry the chain off, then lube the chain while it's still warm.

I use different types of lube depending on what I have at that particular time and what type of conditions I'm going to be riding in. Here's what I use and when...

Klotz - I really like the Klotz chain lube as far as lubrication and rust protection are concerned. However, I will only run it when I'm not going to be riding in any dust, because it's like a dust magnet. Also, if you get wild with the lube and put more than a thin coating, it's bad about fling-off and it ends up all over the swingarm and under the fenders.

Maxima Chain Wax or Honda Pro HP (the one that dries to a waxy film) - To me these seem almost identical, so which one I buy depends on which I can find, as some dealers only carry one or the other. This is the lube I use when I know I'm going to encounter a diverse mixture of dust, mud, and water. These lubes aren't quite as bad about catching dust and they seem to stay on pretty well through the water crossings, but I don't think their actual lubrication qualities are as good as the Klotz. The worst part about the waxy lubes is that they build up on the chain and require more frequent chain cleanings if you use them all the time.

WD-40 - I know a lot of people say not to use WD-40 on O-ring chains, but I've done it for years without any problems and I will continue to do so. Of course it's not the only lube I use, but it does get quite a bit of use during the summer. I use WD-40 when I know I'm going to riding in really dusty conditions. If you use one of the common chain lubes and go on a dusty ride, your chain ends up being covered in a thick coating of dust, and since dust is very gritty and grit can eat away metal and rubber, I can't see as that's good for the chain or sprockets. There's one downfall to the WD-40, and that's water. If you do a bunch of water crossings the WD-40 is going to be washed away pretty soon, but since I only use it for really dusty conditions, that's usually not a concern.

quadrider400
04-26-2004, 10:58 PM
in the for what its worth .... I use tri-flow when I am headed for the sand ... or nothing at all..... I will use chain wax if headed for MUD:rolleyes: , water:eek2: or general riding....

04-27-2004, 05:22 AM
spray some whithe lithium grease on it over night on the UNDERSIDE of the chain.....give it a little time to sit

04-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Bell-Ray;)

hondarider2006
05-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Iwanna250R
Bell-Ray;)

muff
05-04-2004, 05:07 PM
I use the chain lube that sidewinder sells...I havent found a better lube yet :p

if your having a problem with it flinging off try whiping the chain down with a rag after you lube it

AtvMxRider
05-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Rico
WD-40 is the only kind of chain lube I use anymore. All other attract dirt/grim to the chain. I've used them all even the high dolla ones and WD-40 is the best there is..

Me too:)

ILGNCC400EX
05-04-2004, 06:31 PM

Cheaper too...:cool: yeeep:D

speedy
05-06-2004, 11:07 PM
What kind of chain lube is the best for x-ring chains?

05-07-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by speedy
What kind of chain lube is the best for x-ring chains? all thr above....xring chains are the exact same thing as oring but more expensive & also like someone else broguht up (I think Rico said it)....your xring maymay not be so good because the dirt that gets in there is caught by the top of the X's....;) ill stick with my oring chain seeing its cheapr than some cool sounding xring chain & also prob. better

hondarider2006
05-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
all thr above....xring chains are the exact same thing as oring but more expensive & also like someone else broguht up (I think Rico said it)....your xring maymay not be so good because the dirt that gets in there is caught by the top of the X's....;) ill stick with my oring chain seeing its cheapr than some cool sounding xring chain & also prob. better

I'll stick with my non-oring chains...costs me around $8 a chain and lasts a while:cool:

05-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
I'll stick with my non-oring chains...costs me around $8 a chain and lasts a while:cool:

My 416 will stretcha non-oring chains after 2 hours of use....:o

rooster300ex
05-14-2004, 11:24 AM
I've been using ZEP 45 for awhile. Before i ride i usually put alil and after i wash it i put some on the chain and spray it on the outside of my axle bearings.

IL400EX
05-14-2004, 11:51 AM
WD-40 or regular ole motor oil, what ever I grab at the time. The Motor oil does make a mess but oh well.

LTandRaptorider
05-14-2004, 10:18 PM

yep! the chain lube is kept inside the rollers by the o-ring, so all the spray lube is doing is keeping the chain from rusting... and attracting dirt. Clean the chain after every ride, spray liberally with wd-40, and you'll have a long lasting chain.