PDA

View Full Version : insane ticking/ tapping/clanging

fmf400ex03
04-08-2004, 07:43 AM
my buddy bot a quad that just had a rebuild with a 416 je 10:8 the kid said that he had the vavles replaced and springs he just had them tightend whe n he bought he finished breaking it in and had the valve re tighend and the tapping is insanely loud he has white bros exhaust and u can hear the tapping to the point were the machine doesnt even sound like its running it sounds like u have a 1 foot 8mm bolt and are tapping it against the ground real hard it is awfullhe thought it was the valves but it is wat to loud when u ride it u can still like hear it from like a 1/4 mile away i told him not to ride it and dont touch it but i was woundering what it might be i was thinkin cam or cam shain or rod and bottem end bearing but dunno any other better ideas thank can u right back asap because if it comes out to be real bad he only has like 2-3 weeks left with the lemon law and he will take it to small claims court if its goin to blow up or some thin thank u

NaturalNoobie
04-08-2004, 09:25 AM
It sounds like the cam to me.

Goat397
04-08-2004, 02:19 PM
is it stroked ?

04'400ex'er
04-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Tell your buddy to tear off the plastics and check his valve clearance and adjust the tappetts is needed. that is a pretty extensive project, and there is an article about it in tech reviews with pics. but id just pay 50 dollars and have the shop do it.

cals400ex
04-12-2004, 03:16 PM
an aftermarket cam will tick louder than stock in many applications. also, you will probably have different valve clearances with an aftermarket cam, but not always.

quader400
04-12-2004, 06:44 PM
it could very well be the valves. once i turned the bolt in the case clockwise and then adjusted my valves and the noise was insanly loud it was a really loud tapping noise make sure you do it counter clockwise im sure thats all it is just readjust your valves you shoud be fine

UglyMotha™
04-12-2004, 09:14 PM
a busted timing chain tensioner and a slaping timing chain will cause an insanly loud clainging