PDA

View Full Version : double clutching

hondarider2006
04-08-2004, 12:32 AM
how do you do it, and what are the advantages? I hear people talking about it....yet no one seems to know what it is:confused:

LazeR
04-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Well you can't double clutch a quad.... but for a car or whatever what you do is say your in first and want to shift...So you push in the clutch put it in nuetral let out the clutch and push it back in then bring it into second then you wanna shift again...Push in the clutch go into nuetral let out the clutch and push it in again then bring it to 3rd the advantages are that its not as hard on the clutch nor the transmission and if you get good at it (its mainly used in racing scenarios) its actually faster because the shifts are alot smoother!

DangerousDean
04-08-2004, 12:37 AM
isnt it when: your shifting, push in clutch shift, let it out like half way, to jsut before it engages, rev it up then let it out all the way or soemthing ?

its so the engine is reving higher and it shifts smoother ?

LazeR
04-08-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by DangerousDean
isnt it when: your shifting, push in clutch shift, let it out like half way, to jsut before it engages, rev it up then let it out all the way or soemthing ?

its so the engine is reving higher and it shifts smoother ?

Not from the way i understand it! Doing the way i described helps alot ;)! especialy when your shifting from high rpms

the way you said you would be slipping the clutch and that doesn't help it at all..... I could be wrong though.. I will try to find some info on it!

RMX500
04-08-2004, 12:45 AM
no that's not it. that's just slowing down the process.

the only time someone really burns up their RPM's is droppin' down 1 form top gear when goin' full out and maxing out the RPM's.. then returning to top gear.

that's not double clutching though.

LazeR
04-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Now that im reading this..... Double clutching is mainly used for downshifting....if done properly you can't feel the downshift and it helps on power alot! Still looking at some info! Will get back in a few

LazeR
04-08-2004, 01:00 AM
http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/DoubleClutching.html

that link has some good double clutching info in it!

hondarider2006
04-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/DoubleClutching.html

that link has some good double clutching info in it!

Thanks for the info ;)

LazeR
04-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
Thanks for the info ;)

If it has to do with quads or cars/trucks anytime ;):p

crazybuffalo
04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
i always thought it was where you shift from say first to neutral to let it rev up then quickly shift into second. but i may be wrong.

Jonesy
04-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Double clutching is mainly used to downshift. By double clutching you are able to match the speed of the output shaft to the input shaft and synchros. By matching the speed you cause less wear and tear on the transmission. Also by matching the rpms, it provides you with a smoother shift thereby lessening the chance of the tires jerking or locking up causing the car to lose control.

With todays modern transmissions double clutching is not really necessary. The preferred method is the heal-toe method. Explained here (http://www.triumphspitfire.com/healtoe.html) and here (http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-6902-1618F526-3A351631-prod4)

Double clutching was also used very regularly with pre 1960's cars and trucks that were not equiped with synchros. Again to save wear and tear and providing smoother shifts.

DangerousDean
04-08-2004, 02:33 PM
so double clutching is when you "blip" the throttle before you shift down (quad)

Ralph
04-08-2004, 02:38 PM
u take ur left hand and but it at the base, and then the right hand ontop of the left, some people say it feels better....

lol j/k

UglyMotha™
04-08-2004, 02:40 PM
whose ever heard of using the clutch :o :huh

killed300ex
04-08-2004, 04:15 PM
yup double clutchig i would say is almost pointless in this day and age in everyday use because of how far technology has come and there is no need for it unless you are drivng an antiq car BUt yes double clutching is just when u want to shift leting the clutch out in nuetral inbetween shifts then shift into gear so to shift one gear you clutch twice hence the name double clutching
killed