PDA

View Full Version : what shall the next mod be???

cals400ex
04-08-2004, 12:23 AM
i am ready to mod my bike again. i want more power in 3rd through 5th gear. 1st and second aren't much of a concern to me. currently i have a 10.8:1 406, stage 2 cam, x-6, fcr 39, etc.

i have really been thinking about going with a 416 or 426 piston but i dont' know if that will make a difference or not over what i have now?? besides that, i am really out of ideas. i plan on getting the head ported this summer so we can wait a bit on that idea. any other suggestions???

also, i would prefer to run 93 octane if that is possible.

JOEX
04-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Do you have any suspension mods yet? I don't remember:p

LazeR
04-08-2004, 01:53 AM
turbo ;) naa man i would say suspension unless you already got it!

Chanman420q
04-08-2004, 05:43 AM
either a more aggressive cam, or get it ported is just about the only thing left for you too do. other than more compression but thats not an option for you i guess

cals400ex
04-08-2004, 01:11 PM
i really don't have any suspension upgrades. the reason for this is i am not ever on a track. if i race it is mainly drag racing on smooth land. i realize shocks may help me get off the line better but i rather spend the cash on something that would make me a little quicker.

i am not sure what cam to get? i have thought about sparks, TC, and megacycle cams. i don't know much about any of these though. if it would help in drag racing, i would consider.

onefiftyone2003
04-08-2004, 04:55 PM
if your going to go with an engine mod, think about the 440 kits, i've got a 2000 440ex and i find it's got a ton of balls in 4th and 5th gear, thats just my opinion tho lol

ghak99
04-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Sounds to me like you want some torque. I say stroke it. You can't beat the way a properly setup stroked motor pulls! Plus you could always go with a bigger bore later on if you want even more power at a later date.

If this is out of the question, or too costly for your budget, there is "no replacement for displacement" go with a big bore and then that port work will really make it come to life!

I would get the stroker first, because you should really have a better than stock rod on a good 440 set up anyways, and why tear the bottom end apart to just put a rod in it when for a few extra dollars you could stroke it.

My .02
Good luck with what ever you decide

quadkrazy400ex
04-08-2004, 07:09 PM
there's a good deal on several engine kits that you order for on this site. if 20 people go into buying a ross piston kit, C&D racing is going to sell them for cheap,
std - 10.5:1
406 - 10.6:1
416 - 10.8:1
426 - 11.1:1
440 - 11.2:1

good deal comes with piston, rings, circlips, and piston pin. order one the deal is legit its from the site sponsor call them to order 308-696-7805 or go to the thread.
call them for the correct prices. I ordered a 416 for $105

i would recommend the stage 2 hotcam no core charge either:)

cals400ex
04-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by *********400ex
there's a good deal on several engine kits that you order for on this site. if 20 people go into buying a ross piston kit, C&D racing is going to sell them for cheap,
std - 10.5:1
406 - 10.6:1
416 - 10.8:1
426 - 11.1:1
440 - 11.2:1

good deal comes with piston, rings, circlips, and piston pin. order one the deal is legit its from the site sponsor call them to order 308-696-7805 or go to the thread.
call them for the correct prices. I ordered a 416 for $105

i would recommend the stage 2 hotcam no core charge either:)

i am already running a 406 ross with a stage 2. ;)

cals400ex
04-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by ghak99
Sounds to me like you want some torque. I say stroke it. You can't beat the way a properly setup stroked motor pulls! Plus you could always go with a bigger bore later on if you want even more power at a later date.

If this is out of the question, or too costly for your budget, there is "no replacement for displacement" go with a big bore and then that port work will really make it come to life!

I would get the stroker first, because you should really have a better than stock rod on a good 440 set up anyways, and why tear the bottom end apart to just put a rod in it when for a few extra dollars you could stroke it.

My .02
Good luck with what ever you decide

i really dont think torque is what i am looking for. i want power in 3rd through 5th. 1st and 2nd isn't much of a concern to me. i need a bike that revs quickly because of the drag racing i do.

quadkrazy400ex
04-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i am already running a 406 ross with a stage 2. ;)

can always go bigger

ghak99
04-08-2004, 09:30 PM
If you stroke it and then go with a big bore a little later, you will have more power everywhere, and that means a faster quad across the board. And you will still have a motor which is just a little past square on the bore side of things.

K_Fulk
04-08-2004, 09:43 PM
You could get your flywheel lightend. And go with bigger valves when you get it ported.

Chanman420q
04-08-2004, 10:04 PM
do bigger valves really make that big of a diffrance? what about the 3 angle valve jobs

K_Fulk
04-08-2004, 10:07 PM
I didnt do everything one part at a time, but when i put on my fcr and my fully ported big valve head last year. My quad got a big kick in the rear. Over my cleanup port job head and edelbrock carb.

cals400ex
04-09-2004, 12:13 AM
i am going to go bigger on the valves with a valve and port job at the same time. i will save this until summer though. i am trying to find titanium valves (even though they probably won't make a difference).

what size valves do you recommend? i believe stock is 33 on intake and 36 exhaust.

nakomis0
04-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
You could get your flywheel lightend. And go with bigger valves when you get it ported.

^^^^^^

Advance your timing... Either a degree key or a 'good' cdi box.
The extra revs from a after market cdi I found are very usefull in drag racing.

As far as the timing, its gonna increase power all around, but it will be most noticeable in the low end. My holeshop got rediculasly aggressive after adding a degree key.

Only downside was the combo of the degree key, and the WB cdi, my bike wouldn't start.. i'm thinking because the timing was advanced to much.:confused: So i now use the stock cdi and have lost the extra revs.

Now i'm looking to upgrade to someother programable , like Dyna fs, msd, ect.

btw, I have an extra sparks degree key i'll sell for $15 .

K_Fulk
04-09-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i am going to go bigger on the valves with a valve and port job at the same time. i will save this until summer though. i am trying to find titanium valves (even though they probably won't make a difference).

what size valves do you recommend? i believe stock is 33 on intake and 36 exhaust.

+1 mm on the intake is about all your gonna get. There isnt too much room to go much bigger than that.

Unless you get some customs valves made like chef. I would like to see a picture of his combustion chamber to see how close together they are.

cals400ex
04-10-2004, 01:56 AM
i plan on getting a msd or dyna too. i don't think the dyna has enough adjustability for me so i am undecided. yes, the stock rev box is killing me in drag races. i will definately nail it in the first 3 gears and sometimes in 4th. my 406 just makes best power up there with the stag 2, x-6, and fcr.

Originally posted by nakomis0
^^^^^^

Advance your timing... Either a degree key or a 'good' cdi box.
The extra revs from a after market cdi I found are very usefull in drag racing.

As far as the timing, its gonna increase power all around, but it will be most noticeable in the low end. My holeshop got rediculasly aggressive after adding a degree key.

Only downside was the combo of the degree key, and the WB cdi, my bike wouldn't start.. i'm thinking because the timing was advanced to much.:confused: So i now use the stock cdi and have lost the extra revs.

Now i'm looking to upgrade to someother programable , like Dyna fs, msd, ect.

btw, I have an extra sparks degree key i'll sell for $15 .