PDA

View Full Version : 01 400ex starting problem

t_dig
04-07-2004, 09:48 PM
I just bought a used 400ex and am having problems starting it when it is cold. I purchased it from my cousin who never had problems because he has rode it so much and knows how to start it. Heres what happens to me: I put the choke on full and crank it until it fires. I then crank again and give it a little throttle and it starts great, although it won't start without giving it some throttle. It then will run a little bit with choke and throttle and then die. It will start again and the same thing happens until finally, I fowl the plug. Does this sound correct? Let me know what I should try, because this is driving me crazy.

RMX500
04-07-2004, 10:08 PM
not meant to idle when cold in the first place... you gotta keep goin on and off the throttle once it fires.

when you start it.. turn choke to pull, pump the gas twice, and then start it.. if it struggles a bit give a a shot of gas as soon as it fires. then keep pumping the gas for a bit. it'll be good to idle after a few minutes.

it's just not meant to idle cold anyways.

JOEX
04-08-2004, 12:27 AM
Upping the pilot jet will help. I have a 42 in right now, 38 is stock.

I don't usually have to mess with the choke, pump the throttle 3-5 time and fire it up. There is still some fine tuning to do to get it perfect.