PDA

View Full Version : The need for wider A-arms

Florida400EX
04-07-2004, 09:32 PM
ok, I'm on a stock 400EX. I do MX almost all the time. I'm on a limited budget, but I can afford to get the Works tripple rate w/ rezzies. My question is, my quad never tries to flip on me, so what are the advantages of getting wider A-arms? It's probaly more stable, but the stock 400 is already pretty wide. I wiegh around 180. What are all your guys perspectives and suggestions for setups?

RiPPiNiTuP7
04-07-2004, 10:56 PM
if you think its stable now, wait till u get some +2 a arms on that thing:eek2:

i highly suggest getting some ;)

JOEX
04-07-2004, 11:57 PM
The first question is what kind of riding do you do?

QuadJunkies
04-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
The first question is what kind of riding do you do? ~~ ok, I'm on a stock 400EX. I do MX almost all the time

;) Im sure you would be VERY pleased with at least a +2 for MX you will be feel sooooo nimlbe .If you like it stock.......you will LOVE it WIDER......:cool:

JOEX
04-08-2004, 12:59 AM
DOH! Missed that sentence:eek: :p

Florida400EX
04-08-2004, 09:11 AM
ok, and about the wider A-arms, would you guys recommend burguard, Ugly, or A Star? They all seem to be around the same pricing. Also what kind of shocks for the front? Elka Tripple rate w/ no rezzie? Works tripple w/ rezzie? I have around $400 for the A-arms, and around $500 for the shocks.

Oh, also forgot to add, should I go with plus 2 or plus 3 a-arms. I have to stay under 50 inches (thats the AMA limit right?) I have everything stock. The price is the same so, plus 2 or plus 3?

redroost85
04-08-2004, 09:37 AM
If you are racing, then rezzies is the only way to go. The common setup is for +2 arms. But that is up to you.

Here's an example. I race mx and have Lonestar +2's and Works tripple rates w/rezzies and it does a more than adequate job for my ability level.

It's all up to you though.;)

Florida400EX
04-08-2004, 09:47 AM
redroost- You wouldn't want me to take your setup off your hands by any chance would you? haha

So I guess, the +2 setup is the best way to go. Now, prices and quality checks from you guys. Burguard makes good stuff right? Works tripple rate with rezzies is good for ameture racing right? Thanks for all your help

QuadJunkies
04-08-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by redroost85
If you are racing, then rezzies is the only way to go. The common setup is for +2 arms. But that is up to you.

Here's an example. I race mx and have Lonestar +2's and Works tripple rates w/rezzies and it does a more than adequate job for my ability level.

It's all up to you though.;) What he said^^^^^^ ;) for that kind of price range

zephead400ex
04-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Burgurad is a great product. Last week I ordered +2 Burguard arms with Works triple rates w/ rezzies. The arms were on sale for $410 shipped. I got a deal on the shocks from C&D because of an error at Works, so Dusty hooked me up:) This setup is going to be sweet. You will be surprised how much more stable the quad will feel with the +2 arms on there.

Stay away from Ugly arms, they are infact an Ugly product:) A Star...aren't the Ugly arms made by the same company?

Good luck.

Florida400EX
04-08-2004, 12:22 PM
To order from C&D you need to call right? I don't see an online catolog type program on their site.

Are Housier A-arms good?

If any of you guys could, please IM me at TeamECCRM125

Thanks!

QuadJunkies
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
To order from C&D you need to call right? I don't see an online catolog type program on their site.

Are Housier A-arms good?

If any of you guys could, please IM me at TeamECCRM125

Thanks! Houser are good also.;) heres Info for Burgard http://www.z400central.com/burgard/
Info to get ahold of C@D http://www.cdracingonline.com/ youmihgt ask C@B about Burgard,they sell the Beadlocks I believe/.:)

redroost85
04-08-2004, 12:49 PM
You may also want some new brakelines to the +2's. On some setups you can still use stock lines. I still have stock lines and they work just fine. I would like to get stainless lines...but the $ for those isn't there yet...:o

Once you put new arms and shocks....it goes from driving like a Ford Pinto to a Cadillac Eldorado!:devil:

Just give C&D a call, they will hook you up with everything you need.:)

Florida400EX
04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I called C&D. They wanted $950 for +2 burgard A-Arms and elka shocks w/o rezzies. I don't know which I'd be better off with, Works tripple rate w/ rezzies, or elka tripple rates w/o rezzies. Which would be the better of the two?
thanks!

roostin_dale
04-09-2004, 05:12 PM
thats not even a question...the elka's are better

Florida400EX
04-09-2004, 06:48 PM
If the elka's are cheaper and better than the works w/ rezzies, than how do the works shocks sell soo much?

Florida400EX
04-10-2004, 02:17 PM
Well, I've come to a conclusion that for what I want to do with my EX, I will dump away too much money, so I'm selling my EX and buying a YFZ!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the help guys!

Fred55
04-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Good Choice!

Florida400EX
04-10-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
Good Choice!

:D

250rmike
04-10-2004, 07:07 PM
if i were you id try to get some elka dual rates(with the single spring)w/resivoirs and a ok set of +2 a-arms that will get you going faster. also if your not starting to tip when your stock it means you not going fast enough. lol but seriously you will be able to go alot faster with better shocks (even works) and wider a-arms. if you have the money go with elka if not then go with works

Florida400EX
04-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by 250rmike
if i were you id try to get some elka dual rates(with the single spring)w/resivoirs and a ok set of +2 a-arms that will get you going faster. also if your not starting to tip when your stock it means you not going fast enough. lol but seriously you will be able to go alot faster with better shocks (even works) and wider a-arms. if you have the money go with elka if not then go with works

Stock tires = NO fliping on MX track. hahaha

duncanracing400
04-10-2004, 07:38 PM
if your on a budget and want it to be wider, the just rotate your front wheels... it takes a bit of work, but its alot cheeper then buying 800 2+ a-arms, and then the brake lines, shocks, tie rods, and all that 'good" stuff. lol :) so just rotate your wheels

tstrenuous10
04-11-2004, 11:39 AM
well you all seem to be MX guys but im more into trails. im wating some +2+1 a arms with shocks. i thought about works but then figured if im gonna wait to save up the money its not much longer to get elkas or axis shocks. im thinking some triple rate w/o ressies. im about 160-170 (havent stepped on a scale in a while) and ride pretty hard. i ride semi conscious of how much its gonna cost if i REALLY eat sh*t. in dunes ill jump and ride faster just because its more fun for me so what do you think of my setup?

right now im stock 400ex (yeah buddy!) and lookin for sumthin smoother in the whoops and little annoying bumps.