PDA

View Full Version : Front ot Back brake?

03400EX_Nacs
04-07-2004, 01:55 PM
when ever i hit a jump and i am nose up it is easier for me to use my front brake instead of my back brake so that i dont have to clutch...... is there any effectiveness difference in using the two?
Thanks

03400EX_Nacs
04-08-2004, 09:33 AM
oh come on i KNOW some of you big racers know this...

Admin
04-08-2004, 09:48 AM
The front brakes will do very little in keeping the nose down because the rear tire spin is what is causing your nose to continue to rise. Also, they are a larger mass spinning than the front and stop their front motion helps jerk the front end down.

I think you will just need to practice with the clutch if you want to fly level.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
04-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Harlen knows how to fly :eek:

I'm not cordinated enough to hit the rear brake and pull in the clutch at the same time all I have time for is to Hold on and hope that I land on all 4 tires.

I guess I will just have to practice. :D

Keep in mind that if you are always nose high on a jump, you might be bliping the gas to hard at the peak of the jump.

Doibugu2
04-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
Harlen knows how to fly :eek:

I'm not cordinated enough to hit the rear brake and pull in the clutch at the same time all I have time for is to Hold on and hope that I land on all 4 tires.

I believe Rico kills the engine in the air, and just lets it restart when he lands (basically a pust start, but he is already moving)

Admin
04-08-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I believe Rico kills the engine in the air, and just lets it restart when he lands (basically a pust start, but he is already moving)

You never want to purposely kill your engine in the air and restart it when it lands from the force of the landing. Your body and quad will absorb the entire impact.

The best way to learn is practive just pulling in the clutch to stop wheel drive in the air and then release it before landing and get on the gas.

Once you have it down, then start pulling in the clutch and hit the rear brake. The next step is to learn to shift your body weight to adjust the flight of the quad in the air.

It is actually amazing how dramatic body english can move the quad around in the air. This is a skill every jump should learn because it will save them in the future for sure. I have had several bad take offs that I would have wrecked for sure if I didn't fix the quad in the air before I landed.

With practice, it will come naturally. Have fun and be safe:D

04-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

You forgot to add that I pull in the clutch before landing. Smooth as silk restart of the motor when ya land....:D

Actually I only do it that way if I"m landing before a turn. Usually if you have big enough hands you can grab the clutch with 2 fingers and leave the rest on the grip. Lots to do all at once but once you do it a few times it's a piece of cake..

So remember if you stomp the rear brake in the air, don't panic just remember you HAVE TO PULL IN THE CLUTCH BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE GROUND or it's gonna get real ugly...:(

Admin
04-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Rico
You forgot to add that I pull in the clutch before landing. Smooth as silk restart of the motor when ya land....:D

Actually I only do it that way if I"m landing before a turn. Usually if you have big enough hands you can grab the clutch with 2 fingers and leave the rest on the grip. Lots to do all at once but once you do it a few times it's a piece of cake..

So remember if you stomp the rear brake in the air, don't panic just remember you HAVE TO PULL IN THE CLUTCH BEFORE YOU TOUCH THE GROUND or it's gonna get real ugly...:(

Keeping the clutch held in is a must if you stall the engine, but having it running and on the gas is a much better way to land because your energy is transfered forward instead of downward which puts less of a load on you and the quad.

04-08-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
Keeping the clutch held in is a must if you stall the engine, but having it running and on the gas is a much better way to land because your energy is transfered forward instead of downward which puts less of a load on you and the quad.

Yuuuuup. I do my share of that also. I didn't mean to make it sound as if I dont' know how to land a jump.....:o

:D :D

EvilJester400EX
04-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Yuuuuup. I do my share of that also. I didn't mean to make it sound as if I dont' know how to land a jump.....:o

:D :D

Ya dumb non-jumping fool.:blah:

04-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Ya dumb non-jumping fool.:blah:

:( I know

Harlum hates me and always disses me...:(

EvilJester400EX
04-08-2004, 01:58 PM

Don't worry Rico, it will be ok.:cool:

Admin
04-08-2004, 02:05 PM

Gee Ruko, was it that obvious:macho

:D

04-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Don't worry Rico you will forget all about how much harlem hates you come sat. night!

04-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Gee Ruko, was it that obvious:macho

:D

Yes...:blah:

Make sure ta check your PO box soon,, I just sent you some cash today to pay up my fees for letting me post on here..:o

Admin
04-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Yes...:blah:

Make sure ta check your PO box soon,, I just sent you some cash today to pay up my fees for letting me post on here..:o

It is about time!!!!

You would have been gone long ago if it weren't for the $100/month payment to be a Moderator.

:devil:

04-08-2004, 02:25 PM
It is about time!!!!

You would have been gone long ago if it weren't for the $100/month payment to be a Moderator.

:devil:

You said that was just between us...:grr:

:mad: :mad: