PDA

View Full Version : Big bore??

#1speedbump
04-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know who is or will be offering a big bore kit for the 450r? Also what pipes are owners recommending?

syckNtwisted121
04-07-2004, 07:41 AM
I dont know about the trx, but I have ridden a crf 450 with a TC 500 kit in it and the thing was a monster. I had a big bore R at the time and it was still impressive, I wouldnt recommend it for the woods though thats for sure. The guy who let me ride it claims he had the motor dynoed at over 60HP. but you know how people like to say those big numbers. All I can say is the thing had mad angry balls

the_hulkamaniac
04-07-2004, 01:22 PM
I heard somewhere 4-stroke tech, was developing a 550r. Also Chad502ex, said he had something in the works. So you can always ask him.

Dunlap
04-07-2004, 01:57 PM
500 KITS ARE IN STOCK.

KILLAQuad
04-07-2004, 02:35 PM
Hey Mickey... when is the kit that will keep up with the 470YFZ gonna be ready.........:eek2: :D

#1speedbump
04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Mickey I can't find your site. I spent half of my morning searchin everywhere please either post the web address or set up a link. Thanks in advance. Also whos pipe are you recommending to go with your kit?

Dunlap
04-08-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by KILLAQuad
Hey Mickey... when is the kit that will keep up with the 470YFZ gonna be ready.........:eek2: :D

30 days.

Dunlap
04-08-2004, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by #1speedbump
Mickey I can't find your site. I spent half of my morning searchin everywhere please either post the web address or set up a link. Thanks in advance. Also whos pipe are you recommending to go with your kit?

We will be useing the White Bros. pipe. No Web-site anymore. Web-sites are for lookie-lues, people that really want something call and buy. IMO.

the_hulkamaniac
04-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Mickey are you going to be able to push that up to a 550cc stroker. I want to leave the motor stock until fall. Then have it built for ice racing before Feb.

For the White Bro's pipe, which do you recomend? Is there a big difference between the Aluminium Race series and the Carbon pro?

Thanks.

Dunlap
04-08-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't think I will stroke it, and for TT or ice racing You shouldn't either. The longer rod to stroke ratio will be easyer on the motor and the longer ratio helps with the way the head will flow for upper rpm HP. The cam and big valve head will be more important. All the WB pipes are the same as far as HP, just more money.

Derrick D
04-08-2004, 04:28 PM
I just got my 450r yesterday. I am getting the Duncan Fatboy 4. It seems to be working good for everyone in my area.

joe1l
04-08-2004, 09:28 PM
No Web-site anymore. Web-sites are for lookie-lues, people that really want something call and buy. IMO.

I guess I'm a lookie-lue, but I'm the type of person that likes to look and read about a product before buying it, instead of calling up on the phone. To me the internet is the first step of every purchase I make for my quad, the phone call is the second step, where I place my order If it weren't for websites, I wouldn't have halph the aftermarket products without it. :rolleyes:

Dunlap
04-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by joe1l
I guess I'm a lookie-lue, but I'm the type of person that likes to look and read about a product before buying it, instead of calling up on the phone. To me the internet is the first step of every purchase I make for my quad, the phone call is the second step, where I place my order If it weren't for websites, I wouldn't have halph the aftermarket products without it. :rolleyes:

That's OK for you but the internet shows to only be less then 1% of my buisness. It would take me 8hr's a week, every week just to answer every e-mail question and 99% of it is the lookie-lue. When I do a mag. artical or place an ad in Dirt Wheels it makes the phones ring off the hook with sales. I only answer the phone 3hr's a day because I can't handle anymore buisness and still build motors, port heads, bore and re-sleeve cylinder. This what works best for me and with turning my race team over to my team manager this year I now have a life other then FST.

Hammer trx450r
04-09-2004, 04:48 AM
When your good, they will come:D

benwa450r
04-09-2004, 10:09 AM
You don't have to have a "contact me" section on web site. Only products you are selling so you don't have to answer a zillion e-mails, but to let people know what you have they could buy from you. My 2-cents.

-------------------------------------
TRX450R, HRC kit, Sparks stainless exhaust, Sparks filter, 190 main, AC nerfs, Razr MX on T9 - ITP, Renthal low-bend, block off plate.

Dunlap
04-09-2004, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by benwa450r
[B]You don't have to have a "contact me" section on web site. Only products you are selling so you don't have to answer a zillion e-mails, but to let people know what you have they could buy from you. My 2-cents.

Yes I know that now, but it still came down to keeping it current for less than 1% of the buiness was still a waist of time and when you have a back log on motors that are here and customer are waiting. It's better to build motors than build websites. I want to give better turn around times on motors and it's just now looking like I may be able to do that in the near future.

-------------------------------------
:)

#1speedbump
04-09-2004, 05:56 PM
Mickey, I understand where you are coming from but alot of us like to read about products prior to calling a company. I have read many articles about you and your company in various mags and on various web sites. Can't say I've ever heard bad. Can you list in detail what you are doing to get the 500cc. Also please tell us what is included in your kit and cost. I know all hp #'s are different but could you give us a ball park of what kind of improvement over stock we would get with switching to your kit. Lastly if I put a Wb pipe on, what cam would you recommend? I ride primarily on the Oregon dunes but like to have a good mid range not just top end power. Thanks in advance.

Dunlap
04-09-2004, 06:10 PM
The 500 kit is a bore in kit with head gasket. The rest of mods willbe done in 30 days or less. Can't talk prices on here, sorry.

86atc250r
04-09-2004, 07:28 PM
The 500 kit is a bore in kit with head gasket.

hmm, I figured it would be a cam and a set of reeds ;)

#1speedbump
04-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Is the head gasket a special gasket? Can you talk about the other mods you are working on. What cam are recommending? How many of these kits have you done, anyone on here able to tell us about them?

86atc250r
04-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Too bad he doesn't have a website he could post details of his kit on - including pricing....:p

#1speedbump
04-09-2004, 09:38 PM
As long as he takes time to talk with us on here I'm not worried about a web site. Mickey has a great reputation as a rider and builder, just look at this months dirt wheels they mention him as one of the BIG name users of the WB 450 pipe. They go on to say if thats not enough,blah blah blah. Workin on motors is more important to me as a customer than a web site. There are many advantages he has over the comp, such as havin time to develope and test his product. Not all people do that.

86atc250r
04-09-2004, 09:53 PM
No need to lecture me.

Just kidding around a bit --- however, I do believe having a website with some decent info can be a huge asset & can be very easy to maintain if done correctly --- if done poorly, like anything in life, you can expect poor results.

I'd imagine if as much money was poured into the website as a single magazine ad costs, it would produce far more income over the long haul.

It could even be a great supplement to a magazine ad - place your hottest sellers on the mag ad, along with a link, and refer customers to the website for additional info and additional goodies.

A good shopping cart system takes care of itself - you just sit back, pack orders and collect money.

Having a web presence these days is a no-brainer - as long as it isn't done half assed.

Heck, he could even have is own "tech board" where he can post all the pricing info he likes, product updates, answer any question he likes, and delete anything he doesn't... Very easy to setup and maintain with very minimal costs....

I wonder how ServiceHonda feels about having a website? Even though theirs has been crap over the years, I'm quite sure it has generated them a substantial income.

joe1l
04-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Websites are just no brainers to me in this market. You can have someone else build it, and it sits there for people to read. Chances are you wouldn't need to update it too frequently either, especially if you a motor shop where most of what you do is engine kits and hop ups, those things don't change too frequently at all. To tell you the truth I really wouldn't know about Mickey if it wasn't for this web site.

lukester720
04-10-2004, 01:57 AM
I think what mickey is trying to say is that he has enough business the way it is. I've been hearing about mickey dunlop and 4 stroke tech long before I ever surfed the internet so I'd imagine he already has a large clientel. There are shops here where I live that send all there heads and everything else to him and they seem to always be mailing something out to him.

Mickey, you build a 396cc kit for my buddies 250x last year and he's got it on alky and kills people at the flat drags all night long. It even beats most big bore 400's. Good work!

Dunlap
04-10-2004, 06:21 AM
OK heres the way it is. On the internet I have been knowen to be a bit of a butt head sometimes, but I'm not really all that bad of a person but some times you have to be blunt. WHAT PART OF LESS THAN "1 %" don't you understand !!!!!!!!!!!!!. The number of 500 kits sold is 0, because the only people that know about it are the guys that have heard about it on here for the past 3 months. Same thing about my 470 yfz kits, Chad Duvall ran them in three races last year and it was posted all over the net but I didn't sell any untill the artical last month. You think the net or websites work but they don't for me. I have tested and tested to see if there is any buiness on the the net. I had a site up for over a year with over 70,000 hits and it was less than 1% of my buiness. I have been in this buisness for over 20 years now, I make the kind of money that lawyers and doctors make because I'm good at what I do and I know how to run a buiness the way that works for me. I have all the buiness I need, if I want to sell more parts I will run a bigger ad in Dirt Wheels. I have also tested every mag. out there and Dirt Wheels is the only place I'm going to run ads this year as of now. Sorry to those who are afended by this but sometimes I don't understand how everyone thinks they know more about my buisness than I do and even when I post what I did it's like they didn't even read what I said.:confused:

kazpr
04-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Mickey keep up the good work!! I will call you when I am ready for a big bore kit count on that!!

twisted threads
04-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by kazpr
Mickey keep up the good work!! I will call you when I am ready for a big bore kit count on that!!

I agree!! Thanks for all the good info that you give us!

KILLAQuad
04-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Gettem MICKEY............:D

Thats the kinda attitude i think will sell more is when you tell someone BLUNTLY what is up........