PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cuts Out!?

Atreyu
04-06-2004, 05:33 PM
Finished putting my new a-arms on todayand took it for a ride. Started ok, ran strong. Then I took it down my trail fullbore and came back..I let it idle for about 10 seconds then my throttle started cutting out at about half throttle. If you have it at half throttle-it doesent go anywhere. Anyone know what this could be? Air leak??:confused: :mad:

Foxnake42
04-06-2004, 05:37 PM
i'd follow the throttle cable

TheFontMaster
04-06-2004, 05:47 PM
Does the motor sound like its hittin the rev limiter

Atreyu
04-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Does the motor sound like its hittin the rev limiter

Doesent sound like it's hitting the limiter. It can be gassed more pass half throttle. I'll check the line soon but I doubt thats it. Thanks for the help so far.

Foxnake42
04-06-2004, 06:22 PM
check intake clamps on the carb too

Atreyu
04-06-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Foxnake42
check intake clamps on the carb too

Checked most of that too.

KY Woods Rider
04-06-2004, 07:57 PM
I noticed a post below where you said that you just went to an 11:1 comp 416, so I assume it had been running fine after the rebuild and then just started acting up. If so, the head gasket would be my first suspect, especially if you didn't re-torque the head after a bit of break-in. If you listen closely you should be able to hear it if there's a leak and/or see oil seeping from around the gasket.

Atreyu
04-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider
I noticed a post below where you said that you just went to an 11:1 comp 416, so I assume it had been running fine after the rebuild and then just started acting up. If so, the head gasket would be my first suspect, especially if you didn't re-torque the head after a bit of break-in. If you listen closely you should be able to hear it if there's a leak and/or see oil seeping from around the gasket.

Thanks a lot...I'll check it out.

QuadRacer041
04-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by KY Woods Rider

i would have to agree with that, it happened to my freind too. for some reason when u boost the compresion a little bit the head stud stretch out and you start blowing head gaskets.
also check the intake boot i had a problem with mine cracking.

Atreyu
04-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by quad041
i would have to agree with that, it happened to my freind too. for some reason when u boost the compresion a little bit the head stud stretch out and you start blowing head gaskets.

Did you have a 99? The intake boots tend to crack on 99's because it goes from alluminum to rubber. But I thought CandGCycle updated that. I'll check the head gasket. Thanks.

I'll be at walden next saturday if you wanna meet up. But this time I'll actually be on my own quad.

cals400ex
04-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by quad041

did you have a problem with the one connecting the carb to air filter or carb to the head?? i know they revised the boot that connects the carb to the head in 2001 on the 400ex's. the other ones had a tendency to come apart.

cals400ex
04-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Atreyu
Did you have a 99? The intake boots tend to crack on 99's because it goes from alluminum to rubber. But I thought CandGCycle updated that. I'll check the head gasket. Thanks.

I'll be at walden next saturday if you wanna meet up. But this time I'll actually be on my own quad.

sorry, i didn't see this post when i made my post. :D

QuadRacer041
04-07-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu

walden is having open practice next satursay, i think i may go then.

yes my ex was a 99 i think i remember hearing that they revised that too.

MIKE400EX
04-07-2004, 02:45 PM
99's and most 2000's have the "old" rubber and aluminum carb insulator. Later ones were changed to a rubber boot with a phenolic (heat insulating) flange.

660RaptorRider
04-07-2004, 03:33 PM
yup i have a 99 and it cracked and was really about to cause some damage im glad i checked it out. just a suggestion but make sure ur main jet didnt come or is clogged from anything since it controls top.

Atreyu
04-07-2004, 07:50 PM
Just fixed it. It was the mainjet. Thanks for the help!