PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust & Tech Help Please

tahoe97
08-23-2001, 12:37 AM
:confused: :confused:

I just purchased a brand new 2001 honda400ex.. it is th first bike other than a utility bike i have owned.. i love riding it..
The thing is i am fixing to get married and want to start spending some cash so sup up my bike and have a few question..

one being i bought the things from uni-filter that are air box cover vents.. they let more air get into your box.. will doing this HELP or hurt anything..

also is there a SLIP on muffler for the bike in slip i mean those 3 or 4 bolts.... I want the slip on to add power in all areas of riding.. i would also like for it to give it a far more agressive sound.. BUT i do not want to get into having the carb jeted or anything any time soon..

What would the name and price of the muffler i would need and where can i get it..

thanks for the help in advance guys

Max400
08-23-2001, 05:45 AM
Hey Tahoe 97, this is not related to your question, but do you live in tahoe? If so where do you ride? I live by Sacramento and I'm looking for some good riding places in the mountains.

oynot400
08-23-2001, 08:21 AM
I don't think that your new air filter and vents will hurt any thing but it will give it more air flow threw the engine. With that you will have to rejet the carb, don't worry rejeting is no big deal and the jets are only $3-5 each. If you are going to get a pipe real soon then wait and rejet then. If a pipe is a way off then I would get it rejetted right away. You will run it lean on the air to fuel ratio which you run the risk of burning up your engine!
As far a pipe, they all are pretty good. I have a FMF and they have awsome tech support. So if you get one of their pipes give them a call and they will tell you what to jet it at (or at least real close). Get yourself a service manual, it is worth it weight in gold. It will show you how to get to the jets on the bottom of the carb.

radchad3
08-28-2001, 06:43 PM
Air box vents well defintely help air flow. Two pipes I would recommend are the Yoshimura and WB s bend slip ons. They both are high quality and worth the money. They run between 220 and 250 dollars. Jetting is a necessity whether or not you get a pipe, if you install the air box vents. FMF makes an ok pipe, but there four stroke pipes just aren't as good as their two stroke department. Hope this helps a little.